Modified Jungle Cruise spiel and regulations takes a lot of fun out of it...

It's all about the skipper. We were just here in November and I hadn't done the JC in a number of years. There was no line so I thought let's go! We had the best skipper. He was so funny. I wish I could remember his name.

There was no way he stayed on script because he was poking fun at himself (his size) and the animatronics etc. Nothing offensive but something I think everyone on that boat appreciated. Not same ole, same ole.

The jokes and poking fun of people on the boat is the only reson people stand in line for an hour. Do they really think we care about the out of date animatronics? If we all start calling in and sending letters of complaint maybe it will help a little. I'll start writing mine now.

:idea:Why not; just don't go on it at all. Maybe they'll get the hint and give you what you want. Our group found JC to be rather boring, and that was before they changed it. :snooty:

I was just on that this past Monday. There was a young guy for a skipper, obviously new. It was obviously learning the new job, as he seemed to have a supervisor with him as he did the spiel.

He stumbled over some words, but he showed promise.

AND ..... he WAS doing it the good old way.
He got in the "whopping one foot", thing
too.

So I really doubt that they have changed it,
because here was someone who was being trained the RIGHT way.

AW! I'm gonna miss the old Spiel.....

I enjoyed reading OP's with the old jokes....I don't have them memorized but it brought it all back...

What was the Shrunken head joke....Shrink...something like that....

I agree - without the comedy monologue....JC is definitely missable.

I remember reading that Walt originally wanted Real animals on the ride (like AK is now) but back then...it wasn't possible to do....(not sure how....not possible..financially? Room in that area?)

I'll 'write' whoever you tell me to....if you think it will help!

Hugs,
Mary

:woohoo: I sure hope that it's not changing. I'm happy hear that somone was being trained to do it to the publics standard

We are at disney now did Jungle Cruise on Tuesday an the CM a young lady did the original spiel with all the corny jokes. I agree without the corny jokes JC just would not be the same.

Hopefully will catch the JC again before heading home hopefully after dark JC so much better at night...

We went on it today and got the butterfly joke as well as the shrunken heads and others mentioned here. Our guy did mess up about the jeep--instead of saying they got it to turn over, he said rollover. Alot of us were obviously veterans and looked at each other and tried not to laugh.
I think some of the cms do a much better job than others. It would be hard to say that dozens of time a day.

I wish I knew your skipper's name, but I am sure it was one of the ones who were there for a while. I cannot give a guess until after Jan 2nd when the current set of CPs terms are up. But, I am have an idea who said this one.

:wizard:

I had a girl that did this joke too. She was a little...weird?? Like off for a skipper. She talked SUPER fast and with an accent that made it a surreal experience. It was odd LOL

There are alot of new Cm's starting around right now. I'm sorry that you didnt get the skipper that your used to. But alot of them are "earing their ears":D

However on the last cruise this past week the skipper told a joke I hadn't heard before. At the lion/zebra scene she said "and here's the number 1 law of the jungle.... don't be a zebra" and then she said "those poor lions must get so confused... white meat, dark meat, white meat, dark meat". I've probably been on the cruise at least 25 times (my DH's very favorite ride) and this was a new one for me. :rotfl2:

Cathy

I wish I knew your skipper's name, but I am sure it was one of the ones who were there for a while. I cannot give a guess until after Jan 2nd when the current set of CPs terms are up. But, I am have an idea who said this one.

:wizard:

i've heard that joke more than once, by different skippers. :)

on our september trip, we had a good skipper and a terrible skipper. the first was awful and it just made the entire ride unbearable. then, we got stuck in a traffic jam and it just prolonged the bad experience. i'm glad we rode it again and got a hilarious skipper. she actually reminded me of one of my aunts. :lovestruc

Hmmm... So is it new less experienced skippers? or has the script changed?

I don't know the answer... but I am going to put this out there. IF the script DID change, it may have to do with the fact that in 2012 or 2013 Dinsey is releasing a Feature film based on the Jungle Cruise ride. I wonder if they are modifying the ride to fit in with the movie script.

Thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Cruise#Film_adaptation

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870154/

Chief Name, eh? Funny, at DL he has always been Trader Sam. Maybe the WDW CMs who are calling him Trader Sam are DL imports. :teeth:

I remember reading that Walt originally wanted Real animals on the ride (like AK is now) but back then...it wasn't possible to do....(not sure how....not possible..financially? Room in that area?)

As the story goes, Walt wanted real animals for the ride when they were conceptualizing it for DL...but zoologists warned him that the animals would be asleep most of the day and hiding away from guests. Kind of ironic really, since that's what happens a lot at Animal Kingdom! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter