Moderators feel free to delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really horrible, Lesley! I wonder if maybe someone got a peek at all that cash in your purse somehow and targeted you.

I think it's super easy to get complacent at Disneyworld because we feel safe in the bubble. But thieves target places like this because they know guests have money, cameras, etc. And they don't even have to have park admission to get to the resorts, they could just show up and troll the resort looking for an unattended back pack, purse, an open hotel room door etc.

I'm sorry this happened to you. We should all take it as a warning to be extra careful.

It really is sad when someone steals from another, but it is just part of our society anymore. As for Disney, they seem to go from one extreme to another. They say there is nothing they can do, but seven years ago someone tried picking my pocket while at DHS and when I turned his finger sounded as if it had cracked unintentionally :confused3 He quickly disappeared in the crowd but I managed to get a security person quickly and was told I should not have done anything and instead called security immediately. I informed him that if someone were to go to their med unit with a broken finger on his right hand that I would be able to ID him. Instead they told me I should not keep my money in my pocket. No winning! :confused:
I can only hope your experience does not take ALL the magic out of disney for you.

It really is sad when someone steals from another, but it is just part of our society anymore. As for Disney, they seem to go from one extreme to another. They say there is nothing they can do, but seven years ago someone tried picking my pocket while at DHS and when I turned his finger sounded as if it had cracked unintentionally :confused3 He quickly disappeared in the crowd but I managed to get a security person quickly and was told I should not have done anything and instead called security immediately. I informed him that if someone were to go to their med unit with a broken finger on his right hand that I would be able to ID him. Instead they told me I should not keep my money in my pocket. No winning! :confused:
I can only hope your experience does not take ALL the magic out of disney for you.

I'm going to post this last thing and then be done. Our trip was last week, we aren't currently there. I worked with insurance and decided it was worth it to file this claim with the valuables I had inside. Just talked to Disney exec about our experience (it went way beyond the stolen purse and items, details I won't go into here) the wonderful lady I spoke to made it all right, I have restored confidence in Disney.......................
Moderators feel free to close this thread

I'm going to post this last thing and then be done. Our trip was last week, we aren't currently there. I worked with insurance and decided it was worth it to file this claim with the valuables I had inside. Just talked to Disney exec about our experience (it went way beyond the stolen purse and items, details I won't go into here) the wonderful lady I spoke to made it all right, I have restored confidence in Disney.......................
Moderators feel free to close this thread

I'm guessing Disney management did not treat you very well or blew you off. That's what they did to us (see my first post). I'm glad our lesson was not as expensive as yours. Good luck.

I am sorry your purse was stolen. I will be more careful with my purse from now on.

I'm guessing Disney management did not treat you very well or blew you off. That's what they did to us (see my first post). I'm glad our lesson was not as expensive as yours. Good luck.

If the OP thinks they owed her compensation, and took their refusal to offer it as not being treated well, that is the problem. Disney didn't owe her anything, and she should be grateful she got a charger and a gift basket. That doesn't mean she shouldn't be upset. But Disney is not to blame at all for what happened.

I do hope the OP is able to go on and have a relaxing vacation, in spite of the horrible start to it.

I agree there really was not much the manager could have done BUT the main thing they train in customer support is to show you care and act accordingly. There was no reason for the manager to be rude! A simple we are so sorry, I will alert the staff about this and I really wish we could do more to help, would go a long way with people. I am glad WDW, finally made you feel a little bit better, I know when we had an issue, we contacted guest services and they did a great job working with us to make things right. ve I usually carry most of it and DW will We do not like to carry a lot of $$, so we will charge purchases to our room and the $$ we do take, the DW makes me carry most of it, which I carry in my front pocket and not in my wallet.

I hope moderators do not delete this thread. Not because of anything personal regarding your story but rather it is important lesson for everyone looking on Disboards for planning their Disney trips.

Disney World is not in a bubble. So many of us love to go and escape reality, stay on property and let the outside world disappear - I know I do - but unfortunately reality sneaks in there as well. While I think we are for the most part physically safe unless we do something stupid on rides - it is still very important to know bad things can happen, and we are still responsible for being pro-active to protect ourselves, our kids and our stuff. Small efforts can help maintain magical trips.

"BUT the main thing they train in customer support is to show you care and act accordingly. There was no reason for the manager to be rude!"

We don't know that the manager was rude or said anything improper. The OP acknowledged she was devastated and crumpled and her child was hysterical crying. When we are upset, conversations are often not interpreted as they were. Not saying that he couldn't have come off better or that he wasn't rude, with what 70,000 employees there are some bad eggs, but more likely than not he was at a loss of how to pacify the guest beyond calling the police.

In the end Disney satisfied the guest regardless of what happened that night so they are happy.

I informed him that if someone were to go to their med unit with a broken finger on his right hand that I would be able to ID him.

There isn't any way they would call you into the med unit to scrutinize every person who came in with an injury to their hand. Nor would they be able to detain a person with a hand injury until they got you to come over there and look at them.

...(it went way beyond the stolen purse and items, details I won't go into here) ...

If you had actually gone into details and not been vague, with repeated editing and taking things out of the story, you might have gotten a far more empathetic response. Those are the things that people pay attention to. If you skim over the details and all that stands out is "someone stole my cash and disney needed to do something", then that is what people are going to respond to.

If you had actually gone into details and not been vague, with repeated editing and taking things out of the story, you might have gotten a far more empathetic response. Those are the things that people pay attention to. If you skim over the details and all that stands out is "someone stole my cash and disney needed to do something", then that is what people are going to respond to.

Yep. And coming back later saying there was more to the story than what you originally posted just makes the whole thing seem a bit fishy. Not sure why anyone would post half a story.

Yep. And coming back later saying there was more to the story than what you originally posted just makes the whole thing seem a bit fishy. Not sure why anyone would post half a story.

Bingo!

And then of course the classic response when not getting the desired sympathy of "just delete it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter