Moderate Vs. Deluxe - Delayed Honeymoon

disneyhubers

Earning My Ears
We are planning our honeymoon/anniversary for September of this year... 7 years after the wedding. :)

I need some input. I've only ever stayed at value resorts growing up and want to splurge with this being our "honeymoon". We keep going back and forth: Polynesian, POFQ or Wilderness Lodge.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated! TIA!

My DD had a Disneyworld wedding and they stayed at POFQ in a standard room. The wedding participants stayed at Values, but I felt bad for the newlyweds. With food court only, outdoor room entries, and no balconies, POFQ wasn't a special place for a honeymoon. If I were you, I would go with the choice in the middle -- Wilderness Lodge. Everything being indoors is a real plus. The huge high-ceiling lobby is a wonderful place to spend some time, and you can have some nice dinners without walking outdoors or being far from your room. Even the Territory Lounge is a cut above. The boat ride to MK is a fun excursion. You could also walk the woodsy path to Fort Wilderness or take the boat. FTW has some real fun dinner choices, and activities. WL is my choice. And, Congratulations!

If you can swing it then I say go deluxe! For a 7 year delayed honeymoon you deserve the splurge! :) Of the three you're considering I wouldn't do polynesian and i hate to say that...the pool will be closed in september and with all the closures and construction I'd take this one off the list unless you want to wait even longer for your honeymoon ;)

We've never done wilderness lodge but hope to try it one day. Personally if you're open to suggestion I'd go with the grand floridian or bc/yc. I think if its just the two of you having the epcot access for dinners would be really great :)

Congratulations on 7 years of marriage and your upcoming honeymoon!

We honeymooned at Disney last summer and loved it. I don't know what your budget looks like, but here are my thoughts. We chose to stay in a moderate resort (Coronado Springs, we got a preferred King room in the Casitas sections that was gorgeous and a short walk to the front desk). We also considered POR and POFQ.

When room discounts came out, we looked into upgrading to a deluxe and staying at Wilderness Lodge, but ultimately decided to stick with the moderate resort. Instead, we put the money that we saved into excellent dining experiences, and I was glad that we did. We ate a several signature restaurants (Jiko and Artist Point were our favorites) and snacked at our leisure.
I'm not sure how much time you plan on spending at the resort, but we ultimately decided that since most of our day would be spent in the parks, we were quite content with a moderate hotel. The room was very nice, the pool at CSR was great, and the theming was fun, but still adult. I'd compare the room to something you'd find at a 3.5/4-star conference hotel--it wasn't insanely luxurious, but it also didn't feel cheap. Getting the king room made it feel a whole lot more spacious since there was just one bed. The biggest differences we noticed between the mod/deluxe resorts were the lobbies/interior entrances to rooms. Of course, deluxe resorts may have more amenities (like nice restaurants), but we used Disney transport to get around and ate at four deluxe resort restaurants anyway.

My personal preference--stay in a moderate (which will still be quite nice) and splurge on excellent food. You might also consider some of the special tours that Disney.

If you do decide deluxe: regarding the Poly vs. Wilderness lodge--I think it's mostly just personal preference. Poly will give you that beachy feel, while WL is more secluded cabin in the woods. I thought both were beautiful--I'd give the slight edge to WL.

We are planning our honeymoon/anniversary for September of this year... 7 years after the wedding. :)

I need some input. I've only ever stayed at value resorts growing up and want to splurge with this being our "honeymoon". We keep going back and forth: Polynesian, POFQ or Wilderness Lodge.

I agree with the pp's that I would do a deluxe. We've stayed at both the Poly and WL and while the Poly is our favorite, I'd choose a different resort for a honeymoon/anniversary trip with the Poly being under construction and the pool being closed. With that said, we have had 2 great stays at the WL and I think that would be a great resort for your trip. The grounds are beautiful and there are great dining options as Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals and Artist Point is amazing with a nice romantic atmosphere. Have a great trip.

I have stayed in moderate and deluxe resorts. If you are going to spend most of your time in the park and have no kids, the moderate hotels are fine.

After staying in the deluxe rooms, it is hard to go back to the moderate. The rooms are a little nicer and they are more convenient in terms of getting to the parks. If you are going in September, you can usually get a nice discount on the deluxe rooms because it is off season. That is when my wife and I are going back. We are staying in a deluxe resort for the convenience of getting to the park quickly, as well as the better amenities offered by our resort.

If you are only going to be in your room to sleep, there is no need to spend the extra cash unless you want the convenience.

Congrats on your anniversary! Have you considered one of the Epcot resorts. I have stayed at both BC and YC and they are great. Their is also the BW as well. The convenience of being able to walk to Epcot or boat to HS is fantastic. I know if it was just DH and I we would be on the boardwalk or having dinner in Epcot every night.

:-)

Thank you all for the awesome input!!! I had not taken into consideration being close to Epcot - as we plan to spend more time there than we would normally with the kiddos.

I also didn't know that you can take a boat from WL to MK. (Total newbie over here, sorry!) Thanks for the knowledge!! The husband is pushing for WL... it's totally "his vibe". :cool:

The Poly is my favorite resort hand down and would pick this resort, but I would not pick it during construction.

I have visited the WL and it is a lovely resort.

My sister loves POFQ for it's theme and the size. She had great experience with transportation and the food.

If you like EPCOT and DS, I would pick the YC. It was quite there, even in the summer. Great food and fantastic location. Our water view room had an amazing patio and we could see the high Illuminations fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter