Moderate Resorts

kdfogliano

Mouseketeer
We are planning a last min trip in March

We are usually DVC point renters and Deluxe stayers, but in an effort to save some money we want to try out a moderate

We have 2 young boys, age 4 and 20 months

What would you suggest???

The only moderate we've stayed at is CBR and we loved it :). I don't know what room category you would book, but CBR has pirate rooms that your boys might like. Also, the pool has been redone and although I've only seen pictures as it was redone after our stay, it looks like it would be alot of fun for little ones :goodvibes. We had a fabulous stay at CBR as everything was great, but one thing that sticks out in our minds 10 years later is the bus transportation. We thought the buses were great :thumbsup2. CBR is centrally located so it didn't take more than about 10 minutes to get to any theme park, water park, or DTD. It is a pretty large resort, but we found it to be beautiful and didn't mind that it was so large. There are 4 or 5 internal bus stops, but other than that, there is no sharing with any other resort. We loved CBR and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Good luck deciding and happy planning :wizard:.

Count me as a second vote for CBR - I've stayed there several times and it's my favorite moderate resort.

If you're planning on doing pool time at the resort, then IMO the CBR has the best pool of all moderates for little kids. The main pool has a zero-entry area with a little slide that's perfect for 4-6 year olds, and then a bigger slide that's fun fun for older kids and adults.

The toddler play pool has some very small slides and a big bucket that tips over every 10-15 minutes and poors a cascade of water down over everyone.

The food court is large with lots of seating & dining options, the grounds are nice, and although you do have multiple bus stops within the resort, the bus rides themselves don't seem any longer or more difficult than bus rides at other resorts.

It is a large resort - if you're worried about being too far away from the food court and main pool area you can always request a preferred room (which will cost a little bit extra but is guarranteed to be next door to those areas). But even if you're as far away from the food court and pool as you could possibly be - it's only an 8-10 minute walk at most.

I love this resort :thumbsup2

Another :thumbsup2 for CBR. And for all of the reasons already stated. CBR is our favorite!

We are planning a last min trip in March

We are usually DVC point renters and Deluxe stayers, but in an effort to save some money we want to try out a moderate

We have 2 young boys, age 4 and 20 months

What would you suggest???
I would check out Coronado if you are used to staying deluxe. They have a few more perks than the other mods.

Too funny - a LOT of CBR lovers' on this thread.

Just be warned... the Pirate rooms are FAAAARRRR! If you want to be close to the action, you can get a standard view but request building 45, 51, or 46 (in that order). They are right across the lake, but it is a quick, peaceful walk. You will even find a hidden hammock.

There is a children's water play area that your little one especially will like.

There are now 2 great slides, one is a blackout and the other is open. My DD loved it there and even though we always stay DVC now, we really miss CBR.

Have a great vacation!

We usually stay deluxe or at CSR - as a PP said, it has some amenities that make it closer to a deluxe (room service, queen beds, a fitness center, upgraded toiletries, huge hot tub, excellent bus service and the second best pool on property behind BC/YC).

However, for parents of preschool boys, CBR is probably a great choice. There is a pirate ship splash area that wouldn't appeal to my kids at all (they are 12 and 9), but it would probably be great for little boys. You can also book a pirate room, but as a PP said, they are far from everything and the mattresses don't get good reviews.

We wouldn't stay at CBR because it has double beds instead of queens and the bus service doesn't get good reviews (there are seven internal stops, but it doesn't share with any other resorts). If either of those concerns you, you might consider POFQ. It is smaller than the other mods, so there is less walking for little legs. And the pool looks like it was designed with little kids in mind. POFQ has been recently refurbed and has queen beds. It sometimes shares buses with POR, but POFQ is usually picked up and dropped off first. POR and POFQ offer a boat to DTD, which is cool.

Depending on your budget, you might also consider AKL. My kids loved it, and it would be a fun place for little boys. You might also think about a value if you can stand it :laughing: - my DD12 is dying to stay at Pop, but DH won't stay somewhere with double beds, and he likes the serenity of the deluxes and mods. But your kids would probably love it!

I would pick POFQ because of the small size of the resort and the proximity to DTD! With a 20 month old and a stroller it will be easier to get around!

CBR is great too! We are waiting a few years when they can both appreciate the pool and the theme and not complain too much about the amount of walking :)

I would check out Coronado if you are used to staying deluxe. They have a few more perks than the other mods.

We love Coronado. One of the things we love is that it is a quiet resort. We stayed very close to the main pool last year and couldn't hear a thing from our room. We have been bothered in the past by people who allow their children to run past the rooms late at night banging on the doors with no regard to other families. We will never stay at a value ever again because of this. We have young children too, we just don't allow them to run wild by the rooms early in the morning or late at night. :scared1:

We love the pool and the fact that you can order snacks and quick service meals right at the pool using the dining plan. We thought about going to POR for our upcoming trip but found out that we couldnt order lunch at the pool using the DDP. That was a deal breaker for us.

I've stayed at POR, CBR and CSR. Personally as a family we love CBR but at my recent stay at CSR I would say it probably has more to offer for a family with small children. The dig site play area is fantastic and seems much more extensive than any other moderate resort. There's a large sand pit (make that 2), lots to climb and slide and swing on, (all incredibly well themed) and the resort seemed quiet compared to CBR despite CSR being a convention centre. We have friends who have two small boys and it's CSR that we're going to recommend to them. Also, little things like having a server who fills your drinks for you at the Peppermarket quick service in CSR could be really useful if you're trying to juggle watching two young kids at a dinner table. The rooms are not as Disney-fied as CBR (not by a long shot) but the bed-size and the furnishings make up for it. Also if you do a quick serve dining plan, the amount of food you can get for breakfast or lunch is way more than you can with a 'meal' at the other moderates.

Another vote for the Caribbean Beach Resort! :thumbsup2 It was our first moderate and we found it to be wonderful! The rooms are larger than the other moderate rooms, theming is vibrant an pretty, pool and food court are great.

In my opinion, don't waste your money on the pirate themed rooms. They are really far from everything and the theming of the regular rooms is very nice. I would recommend booking a room in the Jamaica section:goodvibes

I've stayed at all 4 of the moderates, and CBR was my least favorite. I'd recommend either POFQ because of it's smaller size or CSR because it has a few amenities that the other moderates don't have and it has more of a deluxe feel to it.

oh boy! still don't know!!

I guess what we are most interested in is making sure we feel like we are in disney and a great pool area for the kids that I won't have to walk miles to!

Thanks all!

oh boy! still don't know!!

I guess what we are most interested in is making sure we feel like we are in disney and a great pool area for the kids that I won't have to walk miles to!

Thanks all!

I know this won't help, but CBR, CSR, POR/POFQ all fit those qualifications. :eek:

You may want to show your 4 year old some pictures of the different themed hotels and see which one he likes best. Whichever one you choose, spend the extra few $$ on a preferred room so you are situated close to the buses or main area.

We have stayed at POFQ, POR and CBR, and our favorite to date has been POR (Mansion building). We had bus issues at CBR but other than that the resort was ok. We found POR quite, no bus issues, boat to DTD in the evening proved to be relaxing (same for POFQ).

In all honesty they are all great resorts just that POR met or exceeded all our expectations.

You may find the links below helpful;

http://www.portorleans.org/

http://www.disneycaribbeanbeach.com/

I neglected to mention Piano Bob Jackson at POR, your children will LOVE him as will the child within each of you ;-)
http://www.yehaabob.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZpRsBofUWY&feature=related

Our 4 y.o DD absolutely loved CSR and that is where she insists we stay for our trip this year. I showed her pics of other resorts to see if she'd sway, but she is adamant. ;)

For our first trip, we didn't spend all that much time at the resort but DD asked several times to leave a park in the afternoon to head back and hang out at the pools, etc.

DH and I didn't want Disney overload... and while we felt like we were still at Disney, we felt like it was a bit of a break too as it wasn't overkill with the theme.

I agree with this. CSR has more of a delux feel to it. I'd recommend this as well. Other than that, i'd recommend POR. I love this resort way better than POFQ even. POR is my fave.

I too would stay at CSR. We like deluxes but if we could still fit in a moderate, I would def. return there. They seem to have all the amenities that a deluxe offers at a quarter of the price less. My children loved the pool area and my dh and I liked having a drink on the water in the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter