• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mobility Scooters and Staterooms

sistert

Mouseketeer
My DH's parents are considering coming with us on a cruise, especially since we told them about renting a mobility scooter. The issue I'm wrestling with is scooters, handicap rooms, and non-handicap rooms because they still haven't said one way or the other if they're going.

IF they decide to go AND there are no handicap rooms available, how does one deal with the mobility scooter? I met a couple that said they have cruised with their scooter and stayed in regular rooms (scooter kept outside) as well as handicap rooms (scooter inside the room) without a problem.

I guess I need to understand how things are handled if you don't get a handicap room but you do have a scooter? How does it get charged? Is it kept out in the hall all the time when not in use or does the room steward take it and bring it back as needed? HELP!!! :confused:

Not sure how DCL, would handle it. But when we did NCL, there was someone who had a scooter and they had it charging outside the room. It was not an issue. I would say that if they could handle short distances, than they should be okay in a normal room. One thing that might be an issue would be the bathroom and a step but someone who has been on the Dream would need to speak to that.

If you are in a regular room with a scooter, your room host will take the scooter to a cut out area in the hall and recharge it overnight. This obviously requires a guest who can do without the scooter in the stateroom. Either the user or a family member can go the short distance down the hall to retrieve the scooter.

Scooters can be rented from Brevard Medical Supply. They will drop off at the terminal (so the scooter will be there waiting for the user) and will pick it up there after the cruise.

The scooter will NOT go thru the doorway of a regular room. The other obvious consideration is whether they need the bathroom features of the HA cabins.

I have been on 3 DCL cruises with a scooter. I have parked my scooter in the elevator lobby and charged it there.:moped:

If you are unable to walk to the elevators, it may be difficult to having the scooter brought to you; especially, since there are service carts in the hallways several times a day. There is not enough room to pass them even with a wheelchair. The stewards will move them for you if asked but you may have to have someone find them.

A hint . . . to view the shows from the front row (rather than the top row) go to deck 3 aft and ask to be taken to the show. You can park your scooter before entering the theatre or if unable to walk, a cast member will take it away for you and bring it back at the end of the show. Beware the door appears locked but it is just heavy to open. Try to arrive 20-30 min before the regular theatre opens. You can get a early drink also.:rolleyes1

If you are in a regular room with a scooter, your room host will take the scooter to a cut out area in the hall and recharge it overnight. This obviously requires a guest who can do without the scooter in the stateroom. Either the user or a family member can go the short distance down the hall to retrieve the scooter.

Scooters can be rented from Brevard Medical Supply. They will drop off at the terminal (so the scooter will be there waiting for the user) and will pick it up there after the cruise.

The scooter will NOT go thru the doorway of a regular room. The other obvious consideration is whether they need the bathroom features of the HA cabins.

Does anyone know how much it typically costs to rent a scooter for a 7 day cruise?

Book the HA room NOW. You can cancel up to 75 days before the cruise. Better to have the room than risk not being to add them later if the cruise sells out of ALL rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter