• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

mobility issues, have questions?

disneyseniors

DIS Veteran
My husband had back surgery this summer and all is healing well. But he has had nerve damage and has some difficulty with balance and walking. He doesn't need an ECV, but will use a cane.
My question is: Are there any room requests we should make, or towers, that would be easier for him to navigate to get to the parks. We would need to be close to the boat dock, and we don't care about being by a pool. We just need to be close as possible without much walking. He will probably rent an ECV while in the parks.
Thanks for the help, as we have never had this problem at Universal before. We are staying at RPR for the first time in February, 2017.

All 3 towers elevators, can let out on the ground floor

Tower 3 is about 60-75 seconds closer walk to the water taxi
Most peeps in tower 1 could be walking past tower 3 section in the above time frame

Tower 2 elevator from first/ground floor can be a bit of a walk as you walk behind Jakes patio to reach the main walkway

Walkway to the boat dock is short
Walk past the pool and when you see tchoup chop turn to the right

Signs are there for walking path and boat dock

There are HC rooms available if you feel it would be beneficial for your husband

You can rent an ecv from offsite vendors instead of the park

Would be cheaper in the long run

Water taxi can transport guests in wc

But he has had nerve damage and has some difficulty with balance and walking. He doesn't need an ECV, but will use a cane.

Having stayed at all three of the deluxe resorts, I will state that you should rent an ECV from an offsite place. The walk to and from the hotel, while not horribly long, is going to FEEL long to him. In case you don't know, the boats dock on the *other* side of the water than the parks are on. They dock on the citywalk side. So you have to leave the dock area and walk up to one of the bridges (one goes to Studios and the other goes to Islands) and then cross the bridge and then make your way into the entrance area for your chosen park. With balance and walking issues I know I would not want to be relying on a cane for those walks.

Having stayed at all three of the deluxe resorts, I will state that you should rent an ECV from an offsite place. The walk to and from the hotel, while not horribly long, is going to FEEL long to him. In case you don't know, the boats dock on the *other* side of the water than the parks are on. They dock on the citywalk side. So you have to leave the dock area and walk up to one of the bridges (one goes to Studios and the other goes to Islands) and then cross the bridge and then make your way into the entrance area for your chosen park. With balance and walking issues I know I would not want to be relying on a cane for those walks.

Thank you for that information. That's just what I needed to find out. We will definitely rent an ECV:) Can't wait for our trip.

All 3 towers elevators, can let out on the ground floor

Tower 3 is about 60-75 seconds closer walk to the water taxi
Most peeps in tower 1 could be walking past tower 3 section in the above time frame

Tower 2 elevator from first/ground floor can be a bit of a walk as you walk behind Jakes patio to reach the main walkway

Walkway to the boat dock is short
Walk past the pool and when you see tchoup chop turn to the right

Signs are there for walking path and boat dock

There are HC rooms available if you feel it would be beneficial for your husband

You can rent an ecv from offsite vendors instead of the park

Would be cheaper in the long run

Water taxi can transport guests in wc

Thank you, Mcraven! I think we will try to get Tower 3 if we can. We are just unfamiliar with the resorts at Universal. I know we will have to walk, but just trying to cut down where we can. My husband has never had to use a cart or wheelchair before, and he is reluctant to rent one full time; in fact he refuses and says he will rent inpark, so that's what we will do even if it is a lot more in cost. He feels awful that he will have to use one in the parks and doesn't really want to use one at all but realizes he needs to at this time. I can relate. I had to use a wheelchair due to a foot injury last year and it gives you a whole new perspective on things. We can't wait to get to RPR; it looks absolutely beautiful.
Thanks again for your help:)

RPR is such a lovely resort, we stayed there in November and are going back again in February. Make sure to request a room near the elevator, our room was quite a distance down a long hall, then down another hall. We were in Tower 3 and weren't all that far from the boat dock.

Also be aware that the parks themselves are quite a bit of walking, especially to get to the Harry Potter attractions which are way at the back of each of the parks. I would think having either a wheelchair or scooter would be a big help, not only for the walking but to be able to sit down. There are benches here and there, but we seemed to spend a lot of time on our feet.

We are just unfamiliar with the resorts at Universal.

That first visit is so hard. It's impossible to visualize for some of us (especially me), even with google satellite views.

My husband has never had to use a cart or wheelchair before, and he is reluctant to rent one full time; in fact he refuses and says he will rent inpark, so that's what we will do even if it is a lot more in cost. He feels awful that he will have to use one in the parks and doesn't really want to use one at all but realizes he needs to at this time.

I totally empathize with him, but the volume of walking at just about any themepark is so hard.

The Dis's late great Cheshire_Figment (who used a scooter) had these questions and answers for anyone feeling bad about using a wheelchair or scooter:

Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

That first visit is so hard. It's impossible to visualize for some of us (especially me), even with google satellite views.

I totally empathize with him, but the volume of walking at just about any themepark is so hard.

The Dis's late great Cheshire_Figment (who used a scooter) had these questions and answers for anyone feeling bad about using a wheelchair or scooter:

That's all so true, Bumbershoot! Hopefully, he'll feel better after he uses one in the park and will be open to suggestions??? We can only hope.
I had to use a wheelchair last year, and it is eye opening. I felt like a nonperson, not by the CM's, but the other people in the park. They would not look at you or speak to you. I also was run over by a huge double stroller which broke the wheelchair foot rest and the wheel. It's a good thing that I had my "good" foot pulled up at the time, or I would have had 2 bad feet! However, the CM's were all wonderful and made it a point to look me in the eyes and talk to me, not just to my husband. It's a whole different world having to use a mobility device, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for the help!:)

I felt like a nonperson, not by the CM's, but the other people in the park.

It can be true, that's for sure. And people are so awful about jumping in front of scooters and not realizing how hard they are to stop.

On the other hand, I try to always smile at people using ECVs or wheelchairs, and very often they just aren't looking at the time. So you (not *you*, but the general "you") don't know how many people might have been trying to engage you and not just ignore you, but you were looking the other way. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter