Mobile phones - good deals?

Discussion in 'UK Community Board' started by Hilary, May 15, 2002.

1. Hilary

Hilary There's always something new to learn!

I'm looking for a replacement mobile phone (after mine was stolen recently :rolleyes: ), and wondered whether anyone had spotted any good deals lately.

I'd prefer Orange network (has best coverage in this area), pay-as-you-go, and don't need anything fancy as it's only for occasional / emergency use, but would like something less like a housebrick than the one I had! Basically, the cheaper the better as far as I'm concerned!

Any tips for where to look?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Dimplenose

Dimplenose <font color=red>Stranger from the outside<br><font

I replaced my orange brick last month for new orange phone. It cost £49 and is pay as you go. I went to our local orange shop. They were also offering pay as you go phone for £39 but of course they didn't have any!

Orange did do some funny deal with my brick and converted it to a Virgin something or other. I'll only get charged if I use the brick. (DH thought it would be useful to have a "spare phone" but it's been in the cupboard for the last month!!)

Anyway I'm so happy with my little phone, I don't have to charge the batteries as often and my shoulder isn't suffering from the weight in my bag. Now I just have to get a Disney cover for it!

4. Hilary

My first port of call was the Orange shop, as I bought a really neat pay-as-you-go for DD at Christmas for £49, but last week the cheapest they had was £79 :(

I'll ask them again this week - hopefully they'll have more like yours, dimplenose!

5. Goofyish

Goofyish DIS Veteran

I recently got a new Nokia 3330e for £69 (plus £10 trade in on my old phone) - it's on a 'no contract' pay-as-you-go scheme with Orange. There is no monthly charge and no vouchers etc. to buy. I just get billed monthly with any call charges. I find this better than the normal pay-as-you-go deals because I know I have a always got 'credit' and as I don't use it much it doesn't cost me much :)

I got it from Carphone Warehouse on-line - don't know if they still do it though.

http://www3.carphonewarehouse.com/NASApp/commerce/gben-Home

6. Hilary

After another fruitless trip to the Orange shop (no pun intended! :rolleyes: ), I have just ordered the Nokia one from the carphonewarehouse site :). Thanks for the link, Tim.

I didn't want to pay that much, but DH is coming up with the extra cost for my birthday pressie :Pinkbounc .

Looking forward to having the phone delivered. Tim, do you know whether I will have to be here to sign for the delivery?

7. Goofyish

Goofyish DIS Veteran

Yes you do need to sign for it - I wasn't in when mine came and I had to pick it up from the depot (Initial City Link was the carrier I think).

It came very quickly - the day after I ordered it :)

8. Hilary

Thanks, Tim - I'll be hovering (not hoovering!) by the letterbox.....