MNSSHP - Warning! Busier than expected.

BigGreen73

DIS Veteran
My DW and I did the MNSSHP on 9/25 & on 9/28. The crowds were way heavier than what I experienced. The parties were a lot more crowded than in Sept 2010. I spoke with a bunch of CM's and they said the 1st two parties were dead,barely anyone, but after that they have been busy, busy, busy.

Tuesday 9/25 was near sell out and Friday 9/28 was a sell out from what I read. The lines for all the characters AND trick or treating were long from the beginning of the party right through midnight or the close of the lines, whichever came first.

Getting in line at 6pm for Capt Jack for example, it still took 30 mins to get through. When we left the line at 7:30, the line was from Pirates past Jungle Cruise.

The line for the princesses moves slooooooow. We were at the Princesses at 6:15 and there was maybe 10 families in front of us, took 30 mins again to get through.

The lines for all characters were long. Period. On average 30 mins+ and people seemed to have no problem waiting in line. Best bet is to hit characters is to line up EARLY for your must see, and do others during parades and FW's if those lines are open to avoid most of your party in line. Everyone seemed to know where and when characters were meeting and lined up well in advance.

The Villains mix and mingle was also nuts. Every show was packed and that section in front of the castle always had hundreds of people watching the show and waiting to get in line. We didn't bother trying to see the Villains this time as we easily got them all in 2010.

After the FW's on Tuesday, it took 15mins to get across the bridge back to Frontierland. We avoid the front of teh castle completely on Friday.

Both parades were equally busy, crowds on main street and in front of the castle were pretty thick all night. Oh and when I say trick or treating was busy, I don't mean 10-12 people, I means 50+ person lines at 11:30pm. Yikes, at least the the lines moved somewhat quickly. Back in Sept 2010 after 2nd parade, there was barely any lines at all, maybe 2-3 people in a line when we got there. After 11pm on Friday 9/28, the line was so big for Trick or treating on the treat trail, it backed up and bottle necked with no movement at all for a few minutes. And that trail is pretty wide!

If you are doing the parties for rides you shouldn't have too much problem. From 4pm - Mid, waits were usually walk on to peak of 30mins for the more popular rides. I saw a lot of people getting frustrated with character and trick or treat lines heading for rides instead.

I posted this elsewhere but it got moved and lost to the trip report thread. I just want to put this out there so everyone has an idea of what they may encounter in October. Set realistic goals so that you are not disappointed, if you get to do more, or your parties are quieter, then that's just a bonus! :thumbsup2

We had a similar experience last year, even though the crowd calander was pretty low... The party was packed !! We are skipping this year...

We really did not enjoy MVMCP last time , it was WAY to crowded . Plus I felt the crowds were a bit more rude and pushy than normal.

The lines for characters were crazy.

The only positive was that the ride lines were short , with the exception of PP which was insanely long.

All in all for the special event stuff it was not worth it for us.

I agree, I think this year was much more crowded. We were also there 9/25 and I think the candy lines were longer than the ride lines.

Another 9/25 atendee here-it was flat out nuts!!! We have been every year since 2006 except one and as sad as I am to say it I think this year was our last. It used to be a really great experience but this year was too much. We waited 40 minutes for the Treamines, 40+ for the princesses and just barely caught Dr Facillier at the last M&M greet. We have never waited in line for candy, usually 2-3 people max and this year the lines to ToT were as bad as the line for Sparrow. So with that, I think we have done our last Boo to You

We attended the party on Sep 18, and it was definitely busier than the same time last year.

We have been here almost a month, and compared to prior years, the crowds in the parks overall (not just at the parties) are ridiculous.
We come every year in September, and each year seems to get busier, but this year seems to have increased exponentially.
There is a huge increase in crowds, wait times, and guest rudeness.
I think more people are discovering the value season. It's not such a value anymore!!
Not sure we will return next September, because it was so bad this year.

I think worse than the crowds is the rudeness of people. Everyone seems to have the mindset that they are the only ones who matter, and whatever it takes to make them happy is what they will do, even at the expense of others.
Sad.

I was a 9/28 attendee and it was mobbed. We lined up for the Dwarves at 5.30pm and were the 4th party in line, got through them by 7.10 then headed to Jack Sparrow who was really backed up, so avoided that. Went on the trick and treating trails and although the lines were big they moved fast.

We stood on the tomorrowland bridge for the FWs then tried to head over to Adventure land, boy was that a mistake. Everyone was bottlenecked at the walkway as CMs were checking wristbands. Took nearly 15mins to get out of that crush!!

Was fun but very crowded and didn't get everything done we wanted to. Never mind!

I hadn't been to a MNSSHP since '08, so I was really shocked with the crowds at the party on 9/28. People lined up for the first parade as soon as they entered the party!

I was also really shocked at the candy lines! I know that everyone says that its stupid to trick or treat when you can just buy candy, but it was a real highlight (and good practice) for my two-year old.

We saw Hallowishes from the Tomorrowland bridge, which was a good call because the hub and main street were wall to people. We got an excellent view and were out of the crowds.

I think it was the perfect storm between the ToT race, F&W opening and Epcots 30th that lead to the crowded parties that week, I'm hoping that the rest of month is more manageable for the rest of you!

A lot of other had posted that the parties were crazy this year as well. Long lines, heavier crowds etc.

More and more people seem to be going to the parties now than ever before. AND it seems that more and more are also going to WDW in September now too. DW and I did notice quite an increase in crowds compared to our Sept 2010.

More and more guests seem to be really into chracters now too. When did characters become such must do's for everyone now? The lines, parties or not, are just crazy now.

With WDW's big push to increase crowds during the slow periods (Free DDP etc) slow periods aren't so slow anymore. And with all the sites like the Dis, easywdw etc recommending September as a good time to go because of low crowds, more people are going.

Sept 2010 was better than Sept 2012 in terms of crowds and parties, but we still had a great time!! I just know that our next trip we will go back to going to WDW in early May.

auger said:
We attended the party on Sep 18, and it was definitely busier than the same time last year.

We have been here almost a month, and compared to prior years, the crowds in the parks overall (not just at the parties) are ridiculous.
We come every year in September, and each year seems to get busier, but this year seems to have increased exponentially.
There is a huge increase in crowds, wait times, and guest rudeness.
I think more people are discovering the value season. It's not such a value anymore!!
Not sure we will return next September, because it was so bad this year.

I think worse than the crowds is the rudeness of people. Everyone seems to have the mindset that they are the only ones who matter, and whatever it takes to make them happy is what they will do, even at the expense of others.
Sad.

On the flip side, I've found that the day/evening at MK on those days have been excellent. Crowds are low, probably because the park closes early. You still have Halloween decorations and you can ride every ride pretty much as many times as you want. We will probably never do MNSSHP now!

But yes, rudeness abounds. Especially for parades. I need to institute a rule in my family: stay away from parade routes!!!! ;)

I agree we were at both parties ( 25th and 28th) and it was insane. We went last year the first week in Oct and it was much more manageable. I was telling DF that I think this will be our last party for awhile, as much as I love hallowishes and the parade it wasn't worth the money anymore.

I was there the 25th.
People should speak up and let Disney know that these parties are being oversold and they feel they are not getting their money's worth.
Being vocal to Disney and not just on message boards is what's most important to get things changed.
Personally, I am suggesting they keep the party going for an extra hour just so there is more than just 5 hours to try and squeeze a parade, fireworks, dance parties, character meets, Villians show, trick or treating and rides. Too much too do and too little time.

We were at the party on 9-30 and it was also VERY crowded!!!! I think we may skip it next year.

This is all making me very happy that I decided not to do MNSSHP on our trip this year!

This makes me nervous. We're planning on going during our HM next September. I know we'll have fun no matter what (Halloween is my favorite holiday!!), but these busy reports are making me wonder if it will be worth the extra money. I guess I'll just have to hope something changes between this year and next.

Aren't the parties less crowded than a regular day at MK?

NO.

They sell fewer tickets than daytime park capacity, but the park rarely reaches capacity during the day. And more importantly, most of the party attendees are all concentrated in a very small area around Main Street and in character lines. It makes it seem FAR busier.

This post made my decision final. We are going to skip it this year. We will probably head over on the 12th to watch Hallowishes from the Poly.

That depends on when you consider a "regular day" at MK.

I've been the week of Thanksgiving! Last year they hit peak crowds (as told by a friend who was a CM at the time) and had 50k+ people in the MK certain days. It was crazy full and wait times for rides was 45+ mins for rides such as SM, SplashM, HM . . . . The parades were 7 - 10 people deep!

So to me the crowds at MNSSHP will be a snap to deal with! :woohoo:

Compared to a normal day at MK during Sept, nope. I would say that both days 9/25 and 9/28 there was a lull between 4pm and 6pm then it felt the the park just opened for the day with all the people coming in. Most start setting up on main street and the hub, the others are heading for there must do character lines.

We got to MK around 4:30pm on Friday 9/28. We went on BTRR 3 times in a row walk on + once using FP's someone gave us. We then hit POTC walk on and did a few other things before we headed to get in line for princesses at 6:15ish. Once we got done with the princesses, it looked like 1pm midday crowds. Yikes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter