• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MNSSHP-Tips, Tricks, Secrets newbies should know (from the 2009 party!)

Which night are you going? We also have a Pirate League appointment (4:15) and a 5:30 LTT reservation -- on 9/4

I hope my 4 yr old is'nt too tired that night... we have a ressie at the Pirate's League too but at 3:30 and then dinner at CP at 4:55. Good thing we're renting a stroller... maybe he'll go to sleep in it if he gets tired!:)

I've been to MNSSHP before, last time in 2006, and I'm looking forward to our next party on Sept 18th this year :goodvibes

On the event map of 2008 I found online there's something called "Alice & Mad Hatter's Treat Party", which seems to be some kind of path, or maze, there's no further information mentioned that I can see.
I'm pretty sure they didn't have that last time I was at MNSSHP (or I missed it completely) so can anybody explain what that's about exactly?

BOOH! to all of you :laughing:
gert

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're on Aloha Isle just across the bridge over into Adventureland from Main Street.

PS: I see in your signature we're gonna be on vacation the same time! We're at ASMu and are going to the party on 9/15! Can't wait! :cool1:

We are either going the 15 or 18th. We thought we'd wait a little closer to check out the weather before purchasing tickets. Last year we went the first night of the party because that was are only option. But this year it is happening 3 times while we are there. We had so much fun! I can't wait! We are staying @ Pop.

I've been to MNSSHP before, last time in 2006, and I'm looking forward to our next party on Sept 18th this year :goodvibes

On the event map of 2008 I found online there's something called "Alice & Mad Hatter's Treat Party", which seems to be some kind of path, or maze, there's no further information mentioned that I can see.
I'm pretty sure they didn't have that last time I was at MNSSHP (or I missed it completely) so can anybody explain what that's about exactly?

gert

This is over by the train station in Toon Town. Don't miss it! It's just a trick or treat path with characters for autographs and picks. Last year we had cm's dressed like a deck of cards. There was the Queen of hearts, the white rabbit and twiddle dum and twiddle dee. They were all very funny!

There were a ton of photpass photographers near the villains last year...the handlers kept the lines moving so people didn't suck up too much of their time.

Guess you got lucky and they changed it last year. :thumbsup2

I've been to 4 parties and they never had Photopass photographers at the Villian's meet and greet as it was just to crowded and crazy.

do tickets REALLY sell out quickly? seems Disney makes it like a "hurry and buy!" thing... but is it really true? Wanted to get tix for the sunday, oct 18th party and wasnt planning on getting them til we arrived on the 15th. I figure a sunday party i shouldnt worry... should i?

No, tickets do not sell out that quickly. Last year Halloween night didn't sell out till Sept.

I'm a little confused. If everyone "else" is allowed to stay in the park until 7pm, how are the decorations, and lights, and all the "magic" any different for the party than it is for everyone there that day?

Unfortunately, this is a change that's been made as a result of the park not closing for an hour to be cleared out and made up for the party; the park doesn't change much as far as decorations BUT at the party they do have smoke, lights reflecting on the buildings, some blow up balloons and Halloween music to add to the atmosphere.

Thank you for all the advice, very useful indeed!! Yes, I've learnt the hard way not to push too hard, and I certainly don't want to be knocked out for some of our Disney trip! Maybe we'll have a late start instead, and get to the parks a bit after lunch. That way we can sleep in, and would only have to do one bus journey each way, rather than having to load the wheelchair on to four different buses :scared1:.

Have fun at your party and don't forget to dress your ECV up too! :thumbsup2

You are very welcome! I definetly plane to dress the ECV I can't wait!

It sounds like you are using a manual wheelchair. Have you considered renting a powerchair or ECV from a medical equipment company in Orlando? They will deliver to your hotel.

Using a manual chair, even is someone is pushing you most of the time, is extremely taxing.

We rent an ECV for my mom and with it she is able to keep up with us. We would not consider touring without it. We use Care Medical or Walker Mobility.

I completely agree!! they are so easy to use. last year I spent a fortune on them at the parks this year I am using Randy Mobility (it's the cheapest I've found so far)

so what are some of the more poplular custumes that people use? we were thinking of dressing up? its just me and my 16yo DS.I also was thinking of going down the made up halloween t-shirts:confused3.I just wanted to get a Idea of what others are dressing up In If any.

I'd like to know too. Although my son always dictates what we are wearing. We dress up as a family every Halloween so we like to match. I was really hoping he'd go with pirates this year! But he is 'tired' of pirates. He is insisting on Lilo and Stitch. That's easy enough but I worry that he is going to be out of his costume within the first hour. We got the 4 armed stitch costume - HOT! But he is 6 with ADHD/ODD and when he get's focused on something he can't be motivated to change his mind. So I will definetly bring a Halloween Tshirts to change into. I will be Lilo so I won't need to change I am wearinf a red t-shirt and green grass skirt over my capris and am making a head band of green leaves. DH will be the guy at the beach who always loses his ice cream. Hawian shirt and ice cream cone easy. DS wanted him to be Jumba :rotfl2: but it's not going to happen.

This is over by the train station in Toon Town. Don't miss it! It's just a trick or treat path with characters for autographs and picks. Last year we had cm's dressed like a deck of cards. There was the Queen of hearts, the white rabbit and twiddle dum and twiddle dee. They were all very funny!

Yay! I can't wait!!!

gert

I have not been to MNSSHP, newbie here, but here are some pics of Alice's treat trail with the deck of cards: http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2008/09/
We are going next year! CAN'T WAIT!! :banana:

It sounds like you are using a manual wheelchair. Have you considered renting a powerchair or ECV from a medical equipment company in Orlando? They will deliver to your hotel.

Using a manual chair, even is someone is pushing you most of the time, is extremely taxing.

We rent an ECV for my mom and with it she is able to keep up with us. We would not consider touring without it. We use Care Medical or Walker Mobility.

Thank you for your concern, but don't worry, we're old pros at this! I've used a wheelchair for at least part of every Disney holiday for the past 12 years or so, and a lot of the time, that was the heavy brutes you rent from the parks themselves :eek:. This year I'll be bringing my own chair, which is lovely and light (even lighter than my previous one, which wasn't bad), easy to push, and has extendable handles to make it easier on the fella's back.

Though an ECV is a lot less tiring to use, you can't always take them through lines, and the transfer chairs they have at rides always send me off into a flare because the foot plates are WAY too high (and I'm not even that tall!). Also, as I use my chair day to day, I've got fairly used to self propelling, and I'm not sure if I could cope with the different 'body space' you have in an ECV - the other Guests certainly don't want me driving a motorised vehicle, which I'm not used to, when I have brain fog :scared1::scared1::scared1:!

You're right though, for a lot of people, especially those who aren't used to using a mobility aid in day to day life, an ECV is the most sensible option.

You are very welcome! I definetly plane to dress the ECV I can't wait!

Yay! Glad to hear that your ECV gets to join in the fun too :goodvibes. We've got a whole thread tunnign about mobility aid costumes over on the disABILITIES board at the moment, you should come join in! Maybe you could dress it up as Lilo's trike.... no idea how you'd do that, though... hmmm

so what are some of the more poplular custumes that people use? we were thinking of dressing up? its just me and my 16yo DS.I also was thinking of going down the made up halloween t-shirts:confused3.I just wanted to get a Idea of what others are dressing up In If any.
We saw lots of Pirates and Princesses. Peter Pans and Wendys seemed to be abundant also we saw a few groups of Incredibles. Lots of folks wear custom T-shirts. Overall most costumes were Disney related but there were some that were not.

We are thinking of doing characters from 101 Dalmations:
DH: Roger
Me: Anita
DD: Cruellla

Is Brer Rabbit anywhere to be found on these nights? My girls are dressing up as him and we would love to get a picture!

Great tips everyone! Thanks!

we didn't even think to do this last year-but when we enter the magic kingdom, besides the map that tells what time the dance party and show are going on, can a cm tell us what characters are where in the park?

I hope my 4 yr old is'nt too tired that night... we have a ressie at the Pirate's League too but at 3:30 and then dinner at CP at 4:55. Good thing we're renting a stroller... maybe he'll go to sleep in it if he gets tired!:)

I'll be there with my mom and my DD13 and we've already decided we are going to spend the day at CBR, resting, relaxing and swimming. We'll get to MK in time for Pirate League and then go about our day/night. With the heat and the party, we've decided a full day will just be too much. Enjoy!

I'm so excited! This will be our first MNSSHP (and possibly last)! We are going Sept. 11th, anyone else? :cool1:

A few things I learned last year:

1. As an adult if you want to dress up then go for it. I would say about 30-50% of adults dress up. HOwever, you will get a lot of attention if you dress up.

2. You will get a lot more attention (as will your kids) if you dress them up in recognizable stuff but not necessarily "Disney" stuff (princess, pirates, Mickey, etc...). We went in Star Wars themed attire and got a ton of attention (all the characters loved DS's Yoda's ears).

3. We watched the parade from outside Peco's Bills counter-service place. Great spot to see everything and get out before the parade ends.

4. The headless horseman usually rides out about 15 minutes prior to the parade starting.

5. If you want to get a ton of candy, then go for it. We didn't get a ton (a good bag full); however, we had to throw a lot away as we didn't want to or couldn't travel home with it via airplane.

6. Definitely use this time for photo ops with characters (it is so cool to see them dressed up)--if that is your thing (over rides). Rides you can hit another time/day. Again, this depends on if you want photos or just want to ride rides, etc...

7. Try to get there before 7:00pm. It gets trafficy at 7:00pm with people leaving and arriving (they split Main street with one side people leaving and one side people arriving).

8. More than anything....HAVE FUN!!!! It is a very cool event.

at 3:30 you would need a park ticket too to enter the park that early for the party.

We are taking my 4.8 year old GD --staying at the resort all day and getting in an early afternoon nap. getting up by 3-- and heading over at 4pm.
No dinner reservations at TS as this is prime time for us for the party.

Was it hard getting those two reservations on your particular party?

I went last year first time, it was Sept 12 Friday, and I had arrived MCO about 1pm that day.
Arrived 6pm, did a few rides that were walk-ons (POTC! Even the waittime sign said "O mins"!). SnowWhite was the longest line
I dressed up, but was somewhat hesitant about getting treats, at my age (29 was a long time ago!), but got over that fast enough!
Mmm! It's been a while since I made of meal out of candy!
Later I did eat a late supper at Cosmic Rays (great salad meal, hit the spot), and watched a bit of the dance party in there (joyous bedlam!).

I was amazed at the whole evening, there's no doubt in my mind it was totally worth it!
I'll be doing it for sure this Sept, just waiting to hear if my cousin, who will be meeting me for a week, will be doing it with me or not...can't decide on the night until then!

My sister and I just got our tickets for MNSSHP on October 31st! :woohoo: I know that since it's Halloween it will be pretty busy compared to other nights, but we're both college students and that's the weekend of our fall break. So it's the only time we would be able to go, and we only live about six hours away from WDW. So we're just going to make a long weekend out of it and get our Disney fix!

We've never been to MNSSHP before, and we're really excited! Haven't decided yet whether or not we'll dress up (or rather, what we'll dress up as).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter