MNSSHP Line Etiquette

I would like to know this as well. I have no dog in this fight-my youngest is 26 and perfectly capable of waiting in a line (We're so very proud)-but I do like to know what official policies are.

And, I mean this in no way disrespectfully (big fan of whatever floats your boat) but I really had NO idea that so many adults were so passionate about character meets. It was a red letter, Woo Hoo, banner of a day when DD lost interest in this.

No disrespect taken but I love the M&G's and I'm 52 but a big kid at heart. Also glad to hear about your son :thumbsup2 Mine's 23 and he still gets figity :crazy2:

;)

Doug :goofy:

Let me know how the bubbles work out for you. LOL

By the way, it's been mentioned several times that CMs actually allow and sometimes even suggest that people do this.

So where is this "unwritten" rule that you're not allowed to let someone hold your place in line?

Just because you (general) don't like it doesn't mean that everyone has to abide by your preferences and "rules".

Thank you Disney for being so flexible and accommodating.

:rotfl:

Some rules are just meant to be broken:thumbsup2

I love the over exaggeration of a grandma holds a spot for grandson then everyone and their brother shows up to take the photo.

I am not causing everyone in line one second of a longer wait by having my grandson join me at the front of the line. It will still be one picture.

Your in Disney people. Let your kids enjoy the park, not play with bubbles for 2 hours in line.

Some rules are just meant to be broken:thumbsup2

I love the over exaggeration of a grandma holds a spot for grandson then everyone and their brother shows up to take the photo.

I am not causing everyone in line one second of a longer wait by having my grandson join me at the front of the line. It will still be one picture.

Your in Disney people. Let your kids enjoy the park, not play with bubbles for 2 hours in line.

Apparently it's not even a rule, since Disney CMs themselves tell you to do this.

Last year at the Halloween party I got into line at 6:15 for the dwarfs and my kids came up a few minutes later after using the potty. Since the line was not actually moving quite a few people went in and out of the line and no cast member stopped anyone.

For that kind of line I don't mind the saving of a spot. You are standing still for quite a bit. Heck they encouraged it when Anna and Elsa were in Epcot.

Now a moving line for a ride is a whole mother ball game when you have to push and shove past people to catch up.

Everybody pays to get into hard ticket events and I would think that everybody's time is valuable as it seems to pass by so quickly. I completely disagree with the logic that if someone "holds" a place in line, it doesn't impact anyone. If your family is riding other attractions or visiting other characters while you are "holding" the spot, it does impact the lines.

If one person does this, of course it doesn't really make a difference. But if everyone did it, I think it would make a huge difference and the lines would be insane.

Back to what I said on page one, I'm not going to confront anyone about it and I'm not going to seek out a cast member. But I still don't think it's ok. YMMV and that's fine. It certainly won't ruin my vacation.

My mom and I did this at MNNSHP back in 2010. I have severe anxiety and get overwhelmed by standing in lines that aren't moving/moving slow. So when we got in line for the dwarves at 5:30, I would go walk around, look in stores, take pictures and periodically come back to the line so people knew I was there. Same thing with waiting for the parade, same thing at SWW with characters and Hyperspace Hoopla. Since I'm an only child, we did take only one picture, and it was one person joining the line.

If you become friends with people in line, which is easily done at events like this when you are waiting at least an hour before the characters get there, people may be more likely to understand. My mom and I have even held a spot for a single parent who's kid had to go to the bathroom.

My mom and I did this at MNNSHP back in 2010. I have severe anxiety and get overwhelmed by standing in lines that aren't moving/moving slow. So when we got in line for the dwarves at 5:30, I would go walk around, look in stores, take pictures and periodically come back to the line so people knew I was there. Same thing with waiting for the parade, same thing at SWW with characters and Hyperspace Hoopla. Since I'm an only child, we did take only one picture, and it was one person joining the line.

If you become friends with people in line, which is easily done at events like this when you are waiting at least an hour before the characters get there, people may be more likely to understand. My mom and I have even held a spot for a single parent who's kid had to go to the bathroom.

Good points.

For attractions, I am in the "everyone wait in line" camp. For one thing, logistically it is extremely disruptive to do the excuse-me-pardon-me thing all the way up the line, and for another thing, bodies in front of me = longer wait for me.

I look at the wait for characters to be totally different. For one thing, there is generally no physical barrier to cross to get back to your party. For another, I have heard more than one character handler say "you just need one person to hold the line". On many occasions in EPCOT if I see a character come out and DD is off with another family member in the Japan store or whatnot, I will approach the handler and ask if it's okay for me to get in line and call DD to find me. Their answer is invariably "of course!".

My experience is that there are 2 different rules for this, and it makes sense because IN GENERAL, one family = one character experience, not extra butts on the ride seats increasing others' wait times.

The opinion that folks ought to follow the rules and guidelines does not make you the kind of person who yells and screams at CM's or freak out when things that are perfectly acceptable happen. I actually think the opposite is true- Those with an entitlement attitude ( I shouldn't have to stand in line" "MY child shouldn't be made to stand for a long time"...often carry that sense of entitlement with everything. Those who think people should follow rules tend to not go nuts when things happen that are supposed to happen....even when it affects them in a negative way. I've seen CM's yelled at and abused verbally as well....Like the guy who tried to shove his family under the ropes right in front of us before the parade. Hey, HE wanted a good spot....he was entitled to it. He didn't get it and it really ticked him off.

For the record I do not have children, nor do I mind waiting in lines, my opinion on the matter is I would rather not have your child in line if they are going to not be able to sit through the wait.

The fact that you think all people who "follow the rules" are not the same people freaking out doesn't give you much clout in my opinion. People who follow the rules (which is myself by the way) also have a complete sense of entitlement as well that can be rather off putting...

Oh man...after reading this I must admit I am totally, 100% guilty of being...gasp...a line cutter. I have done it for the princes at MNSSHP and MVMCP. We've done it for the dwarves at both. I waited 3 hours solo for Elsa&Anna in Epcot before the darn movie came out. Guilty guilty guilty. And you know what, not that I have any disregard for the people waiting in line with me, but it was worth the stigma. I waited while my husband took my daughter elsewhere. He won't take her far and they check back (physically) every 20-25 minutes or so. We do 1 family picture and that's it. And I will be completely honest...I never realized that some people would have been upset! I thought it was the norm. I always make sure they come back in plenty of time...for example, we line up for the dwarves around 5. Usually we're first in line. I make sure they are back by 6:40 at least. Sorry guys!! No one wants to wait in line and I would happily oblige to 1 adult holding a spot for parent and small kids ahead of me.

For the record I do not have children, nor do I mind waiting in lines, my opinion on the matter is I would rather not have your child in line if they are going to not be able to sit through the wait.

The fact that you think all people who "follow the rules" are not the same people freaking out doesn't give you much clout in my opinion. People who follow the rules (which is myself by the way) also have a complete sense of entitlement as well that can be rather off putting...

That's ok, I don't think you have much clout either.

We attended the Christmas Party a few years ago and I didn't want to spend all that time in line for the Seven Dwarfs, so I resigned myself to not meeting them. We went on Splash Mountain a few times and their line was always really long.....until....we were getting off Splash for the last time at about 11:30 and saw their line was short- maybe about 10 people. The CM was looking at his watch and I asked if they were still available. He announced that if everyone in line would be really quick, he would run folks through till they pulled the plug on him. Others rushed up to get in lime behind us and sure enough, each and every group got quickly in position, had the photographer take 2 or 3 shots of the one pose, and they ran off. I think we went from next in line to done in 15 seconds! We moved off by the bathrooms to keep watching because it was so much fun seeing people scamper into place and run out so quickly. It was also neat to see everybody cooperating to give someone else a chance for a photo. Must have been the Christmas Spirit!

I agree! Bring them a snack, bubbles, an app on your phone. Just freakin' stand in line....as a family. You have a lot of hold over their heads. Behave or we will leave.

I bet that these kids have may "lack patience" can play hours of videos games just fine.

If a child or adult has to go to the bathroom, etc. and you have another adults with you, that may be an exception if the line is really long and the people around you are gracious enough to let you back in, but come on people....

Parents allow children to be so entitled these days!

There is a big difference between expecting a 7 year old to wait in a long line vs. a 3 or 4 year old. Which is why we don't get in long lines with our toddler.. 30 minutes or less!

That being said, since Disney doesn't have any rules about this, people can do whatever they want regardless of how annoying it may or may not be to the people in line behind them.

I agree! Bring them a snack, bubbles, an app on your phone. Just freakin' stand in line....as a family. You have a lot of hold over their heads. Behave or we will leave.

I bet that these kids have may "lack patience" can play hours of videos games just fine.

If a child or adult has to go to the bathroom, etc. and you have another adults with you, that may be an exception if the line is really long and the people around you are gracious enough to let you back in, but come on people....

Parents allow children to be so entitled these days!

I am certainly not going to let rude people ruin my vacation but I may find myself annoyed on the inside.

However, I also know that my daughter could care less to stand in a line for 3 hours to meet the Dwarfs. She would be just as happy waving at them and eating an ice cream cone. She is five, after all.

I always seem to agree with your posts, and this one is no different, I agree!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Also, it must be said that just because Disney doesn't have a rule about it doesn't mean you *should* do something.

imho, I wouldn't be bothered if you were quick and polite. This is a case by case kinda thing.

If there's one person on line, they don't tell the others that they're waiting for their family, and suddenly other 5/6 people show up and take their sweet time with the characters, I would be beyond pissed off. It's a very rude thing to do.

Let the person behind you know, don't have a huge group with you, be quick, and be polite! Much better than cranky kids crying because they are tired and hot and overwhelmed and don't want to stay in line (that won't give you great pictures either).

If you are worried, arrive in line with everyone. After a while, have one adult go with the kids to get candy/hot chocolate/cookies (I'm applying this to the xmas party as well), take a stroll nearby to entertain them a bit. Sit down somewhere if they are tired of being on their feet.

I don't agree that you MUST STAY IN LINE WITH EVERYONE AT ALL COSTS. Just please don't take too long once you actually are with the character. (but in such parties I suppose it's common etiquette to don't hold up the lines for too long)

Also, it must be said that just because Disney doesn't have a rule about it doesn't mean you *should* do something.

Exactly. Most of us are taught what a line is and how they work in grade school. Disney shouldn't have to tell people how they work. Talk about making excuses.:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter