• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MNSSHP Line Etiquette

When it comes to a hard ticket event though I will not be that accommodating and understanding. Time is money. Tickets are not cheap. I will be vocal and hopefully find a CM. I want the biggest bang for my buck too.
So, even though the children would be included in the one photo with the parent, taking no additional time, you're going to spend time attempting to find a CM and if successful, spend more time arguing your "point"...which like I said, will not be met with success unless the children are teens. Interesting approach.

Emergency potty breaks are one thing....but sorry....everyone needs to wait in line...it's extremely rude and no matter how you justify it, it's cutting in line.

Very interesting topic of conversation and views and interpretations. Is it holding a spot or line cutting? Hmmmm. I guess in my view, if there is an actual que for guests that has aluminum rails and you have to physically bypass people in line to catch up, no. I would have a problem with that. But if there isn't a formal que to line up, I would not have a problem with one person holding the spot. We did this for shows in particular, which didn't seem to be a problem. Most of the parents did that and it wasn't a problem then.

Not trying to :stir: but I honestly don't see how doing what OP has suggested has ANY impact on anyone in line behind them. Whether it is OP taking the picture alone, or if OP is bringing in kids for the picture at the last second, it changes nothing at all. Everyone behind OP will still have to wait the same amount of time. I'll never understand why people get so charged up at what other people are doing when it doesn't have an impact on them. MYOB ;)

If OP were suggesting this for an attraction that has capacity, it's totally different as that increases the wait time for everyone else. But one photo impacts nothing, regardless of who is in it.

I disagree with "the CM won't do anything". We have seen several incidents the last few weeks were CM's got involved and enforced the rules. Hopefully it will become a more common trend.

My son can't control his body temperature. Waiting in an air conditioned store while one of us holds his place was Disney's answer for accommodation. So if temps are hot on Sept 1st, chances are he and dh will be hanging close by in the air conditioning while I'm in line.

Not trying to :stir: but I honestly don't see how doing what OP has suggested has ANY impact on anyone in line behind them. Whether it is OP taking the picture alone, or if OP is bringing in kids for the picture at the last second, it changes nothing at all. Everyone behind OP will still have to wait the same amount of time. I'll never understand why people get so charged up at what other people are doing when it doesn't have an impact on them. MYOB ;)

If OP were suggesting this for an attraction that has capacity, it's totally different as that increases the wait time for everyone else. But one photo impacts nothing, regardless of who is in it.

Maybe because it is never one picture. In the case of Grandma holding a spot for grandson. Grandma take a pic, then Mom wants another pose and takes a pic, then Dad shows up with another camera and Grandma wants a pic with Mom and grandson, then Grandpa wants group photo........ the Photopass photographer is handed a camera, the character attendant is handed a camera........ heaven help us if there is more than one child.:faint:

But it is line cutting even if you call it holding a spot. Disney is pretty clear on the rules- everyone who's getting in line gets in line together. No one else in line knows that you're swapping spots, they just know someone is trying to cut in line. I'm not telling you not to do it, I'm just telling you that by Disney rules it's line cutting and if someone complains and happens to have a CM within sight, you'll lose the argument.

Sorry, but to add to what some others have said, that wasn't our experience either. Last year's MVMCP, my mom and I waited in line for the dwarves. Dad opted to sit on a wall near there, holding our bags. When it was our turn for a picture, he came up to the EXIT of the rope area - outside the ropes - just so he could be right there to catch us as we left. It was the CM who turned to him and asked if he'd like to get in the picture, too, and showed him where he could set our bags.

I'm sure it all depends on the CM and crowd control and all that, and perhaps we were just blessed with a little extra pixie dust, but I just thought I'd throw in our experience. For what it's worth.

Not trying to :stir: but I honestly don't see how doing what OP has suggested has ANY impact on anyone in line behind them. Whether it is OP taking the picture alone, or if OP is bringing in kids for the picture at the last second, it changes nothing at all. Everyone behind OP will still have to wait the same amount of time. I'll never understand why people get so charged up at what other people are doing when it doesn't have an impact on them. MYOB ;) If OP were suggesting this for an attraction that has capacity, it's totally different as that increases the wait time for everyone else. But one photo impacts nothing, regardless of who is in it.

I agree that if you're waiting to ride an attraction then adding people can make quite an impact on your wait time, but for character pics I don't get it. Last year we were at mnsshp with my 15 month old dd whi was dressed as snow white. I waited in line while my dh took her on some rides and to walk around. They joined me near the front of the line, and when it was our turn all 3 of us took a pic together then moved on.... I honestly didn't think twice about it!

It didn't occur to me that so many people would be upset by it (it was out strategy on the cruise we had just gotten off, since waiting in lines patiently is not a virtue of a toddler lol). Sorry if we upset anyone, but we honestly didn't take up any more time taking pics then if it was just me who was in them!

It's not ok to me. I'm one of the grumpy people because I'm annoyed at having to wait longer (and my kids waiting longer) because we are in line and others get in front of us. I'm ok with the emergency potty break situation - that is totally different. But my middle DD and DH were next in line for the front car of big thunder mountain when she was 3. Emergency potty break. Went off the line (after at least a 45-60 minute wait) and got back on again after potty break. At the end of the line. This is only fair. I just think it's flat rude to bring someone in last minute - even a little kid - when my own little kids have been patiently waiting. It's just not respectful of others.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Very interesting topic of conversation and views and interpretations. Is it holding a spot or line cutting? Hmmmm. I guess in my view, if there is an actual que for guests that has aluminum rails and you have to physically bypass people in line to catch up, no. I would have a problem with that. But if there isn't a formal que to line up, I would not have a problem with one person holding the spot. We did this for shows in particular, which didn't seem to be a problem. Most of the parents did that and it wasn't a problem then.

Lol...a line is a line is a line. Doesn't matter if there are bars...or a line for a character.

If the Dwarfs are meeting in the open in Fantasyland (like they did last year), with people just lined up along the wall, you won't have a problem having your family meet up with you. I've been to MNSSHP in each of the last 4 years and haven't heard anyone (CM or guest) say anything when a family joins a particularly long chacter line.

As a mom to a 3 year old, waiting in a long line that seems to be expected at the MNSHP, is unnerving. I think if it's a parent holding a spot for the rest of the small family, then it's fine. Anything to keep a 3 year old entertained and not miserable. When we went in February, DH and DD(3) walked around in the AoA at HS while I waited in line for Sorcerer Mickey. There were 2 adults in front of me when I got in line and there were about 10 families in front of them. Well, a group of 8 more adults (all 18 or older) joined them when they were 2 people away from being next. There were also 2 more of them behind a family behind me. When the first group of them got to the front of the line, those 2 came forward to go with the rest of the group. They just so happened to be on a mission to get over 900 pictures in a day on their FP+. I'm not over-exaggerating when I say that they took over 30 pictures. The girls had to have a pic, the guys, the parents, the whole family, each person, etc. It was the most annoying thing ever. All of them were adults, all capable of standing in a line without becoming bored and crazy. If it were me and there that many people, I would've let the 2 families between us go first, then join the ones who her were towards the end of the line. I think keeping kids interested and not start misbehaving from boredom in line, that they do need to stay somewhere close to keep them entertained and for the sanity of the parents and those in the surrounding line. A screaming kid or one past the point of wanting to listen can get annoying, especially, when it's not your kid. When we go in September, i plan on saving a spot in line for Jack and Sally while my DH and DD(3) either go check out another character, look around the gift shio or do a trick or treat trail or something.

Maybe because it is never one picture. In the case of Grandma holding a spot for grandson. Grandma take a pic, then Mom wants another pose and takes a pic, then Dad shows up with another camera and Grandma wants a pic with Mom and grandson, then Grandpa wants group photo........ the Photopass photographer is handed a camera, the character attendant is handed a camera........ heaven help us if there is more than one child.:faint:

I hear you, but it would be the same scenario if the OP had made her kids wait in line for the full hour. Whether the kids are physically present the whole time they are in line or if they come up when they are nearing the front of the line, the six pictures you're talking about would happen regardless. So it's really a moot point.

Holding a spot in line so your kids can go do something else seems completely wrong. If they don't want to wait in line, then they obviously don't want the picture badly enough.

It's different if they physically cannot wait in line, due to health reasons or something.

I hear you, but it would be the same scenario if the OP had made her kids wait in line for the full hour. Whether the kids are physically present the whole time they are in line or if they come up when they are nearing the front of the line, the six pictures you're talking about would happen regardless. So it's really a moot point.

I disagree. If 6 people wait in line-they get 6 pictures. 1 person in line should not get 6 pictures.

My kids rode in cars on long road trips as toddlers without ipods/movies/ipads etc. They survived....kids can survive standing in line. Anything other than an emergency potty break is rude and cutting in line. Why can't kids wait for anything anymore? :confused3 I hate the people that say, "kids these days..." and "it was so much better in the old days" But seriously...my kids waited in line and didn't explode.....kids these days can do the same.

There's nothing more annoying than getting in what you think is a short line and then everyone and their brother comes to join their family that is saving a place for them.

I didn't read replies as I know this gets heated.

I honestly don't get why though. Why should 8 people have to wait in line if it's not necessary???

It wouldn't bother me one bit if one person stood in line and had their family meet them to go take the picture. That person in front of you is holding the spot for goodness sake!!!

It doesn't make the line any longer. Seriously. Whether those 8 people are physically standing in front of you or they join the person in line at the last minute, it is still those 8 people as a group seeing the characters at once.

I just don't get it. It's Disney, people need to lighten up and stop all the "LINE CUTTER" accusations like we're back in elementary school.

No cutsy's, I was here first!!!! LOL Really.

And since when is there a rule on 1 person = 1 picture?? If I'm in line and I want to take 2 pictures I will.

It's quite likely that kids who haven't stood in line for an hour will be much more cooperative when it comes time to take the actual photo, resulting in the entire photo taking process going much smoother. If some want to put their children through unnecessary torture, that's their business, however they shouldn't expect others to follow their poor example.

I know we were there a few years ago in August when Rapunzel was still in the Fairytale Garden. A cast member actually suggested that I take our children into a restaurant or shop to wait in the air conditioning and that my husband could call me when it was time to enter the garden so the kids wouldn't get overheated. I did have an 11 month old and 2 three year olds at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter