Mmr ?

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
I've had a letter yesterday morning, for an appt. for my son to go for the MMR jab next Tuesday.
I've been up in the air over this since all the fuss earlier in the year, and now its come around to me, I don't know what to do.
I know that he's got to have something, but I don't know whether to let him have the all in one MMR, or whether to go private, and have the three seperate injections.
A collegue took her son last week, and was told that the separate injections are not licensed in this country, and there can be implications with these also.
My Auntie took him to see the health visitor today, while I was at work, to have a chat about it, and she said that our surgery had had no problems from it, and there had only been one case in our city.
I know that most children who have this are fine, but I can't help thinking "what if"
What do I do ?

Hi Alex

I'ts a difficult decision, but it seems to me that every time you open a newspaper, there is a 'scare' about something - whether it be vaccinations, eating meat, using hair dye - the list is endless.

I can't deny there have been issues with the MMR, but in reality there is a risk with all vaccinations. There is also the risk from the illnesses themselves. I can clearly remember my neice catching measles when she was very young - I have never seen a child so ill. Luckily she was OK, but seeing it really puts into perspective, why we vaccinate our children.

This probably doesn't help, as at the end of the day, it's your decision, I had both my kids vaccinated (a few years back now), and they were both fine. If Ihad to make the choice again today, I would choose the same.

Good Luck

Maxine

I know it's a difficult decision to make and perhaps I was lucky to not know about all the scares when I had my children immunised 10 years ago. All I can say is please have your son immunised whether as MMR or single doses. My cousin was left brain damaged from the side effects of catching measles and I think a lot of parents today forget what a terrible illness it is.

Good luck in whatever decision you make

Hi Alex

I debated long and hard about this - my daughter had actually had the first dose before all the controversy but when it was time for her booster I was really concerned. In the end she had it, I felt that since she had been ok after the initial dose, she would be ok with the booster too.

I can't really tell you what to do, but I do think you are right to do some research while you are making your decision.

Christine makes an interesting point- I know I had all 3 illnesses as a child without any great problems, so in my mind they are not terrible illnesses, but she is right Measles can have some awful complications.

It's so hard isn't it, weighing up all the risks, which is worse the risk of measles or the risk of autism. I'm not sure.

Bev

Originally posted by BevS97
...which is worse the risk of measles or the risk of autism. I'm not sure.

Bev

I think there are two aspects to this question that you need to answer:

1. The likelihood of developing measles or autism.
2. The possible consequences of developing measles of autism.

Even if the consequences of developing an illness are serious, you should not worry too much if the likelihood of developing this illness is very low. For example, I don't worry about developing a terrible disease like Motor Neurone Disease because there is only an incredibly small chance of developing this.

Similarly, if the likelihood of developing an illness is very high, but the consequences of this illness are minor, again you should not worry. So, for example, I don't worry about catching a cold, because even though it is very likely that I will, all that will happen is that I will feel miserable for a couple of days.

To get back to the MMR question, I think you need to ask two questions:
1. Which is more likely: measles/mumps/rubella or autism?
2. Which is more serious: measles/mumps/rubella or autism?

Although I'm not an expert I think the answers to these questions are:
1. Developing one or more of meales/mumps/rubella is more likely than developing autism (which may or may not be related to the MMR vaccine).
2. Measles is potentially life threatening, so it can be just as bad, if not worse, than autism.

As a result I think that you should have your child vaccinated. As to whether you go for the combined or the seperate vaccines, the overwhelming evidence is that the triple jab is no more dangerous than the single jabs (and in some respects is safer).

Therefore, to end this rambling post, my advice would be to go for the triple jab.

Regards

Rob

Wow - touch choice time:(

Luckily when DD (9.5) had hers, there wasn't a whole load of publicity like now. However, my own personal view is pretty similar to Rob's above.

I would go for the MMR - but can truly imagine how I too would be worried if it was Katie all over again.

Hope you make the right decision and one that you're happy with.

Definately a tricky one! My youngest DD 6 has not had the vaccination as her elder brother has autism. It's my opinion that MMR alone probably doesn't cause autism but if you have a child who is suseptible (sp) to developing autism then maybe it is best avoided as this may be the trigger that sets it off. Saying this my eldest DD had the jab with no probs ....... it's only cause of my son that i am now a little wary of listening to so called health professionals, as they seem to change their minds so often as more research is made on various things:confused:

My eldest had the mmr and then developed really bad learning difficulties, posible aspergers so when i was faced with the same decison for danny, I went for the single dose -Rubella and measles, he is now due for his mumps.

All I can say is make sure he is vaccinated whichever way you do decide, as if more kids go around unvaccinated, the more likely that these diseases will be back. Also although Rubella isn't so dangerous to kids, it is very dangerous to pregnant women, and mumps can possibly sterilise boys if caught later on in life.

JMHO

Thanks everyone for your advice :D
I must say that I still don't know what to do. Its on my mind all the time, and I've got to decide by Tuesday.
I've disscused it with DH, and he thinks the baby will be fine with it.
I'm going to have a look about on the net, for a nearby clinic that does the separate injections, and have a little chat with someone there.
I'll let you know how I get on
Thanks again
Alex

This link might be of interest - it is a 'evidence based medical information' website which I have found useful on a number of issue and they have done an independent evaluation of the MMR situation:
http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band84/MMR.html

I know this is a very hard decision because it is one I have made recently myself.
I often hear people say that measles is just a childhood illness and not really dangerous but I nearly died myself from complications of measles at the age of 8. The vaccination program has spared us a lot of the misery parents like mine had to go through.
Whether you decide to go with MMR or single jabs make sure your children are protected. As the take up of the vaccine drops the risk of catching measles increases and it really is a very serious disease.

Angela

I havent got children myself so I dont know how hard the descision is for you, but i was reading an article in a magazine yesterday.

The article was about a 23 year old boy who died form a disease which was underlying from when he had measels. His mother never got him vaccinated, he went from being a lively boy to nothing, . I cant remember what the disease was called but it effects the brain and goes undetected.

I dont mean to scare you or anything but article like the one i read makes you think.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Love Tracey

Both my sons had the MMR jab - my first son was given it at school when they had a huge vaccination programme to ensure all children received it as quickly as possible.
I took my younger son when we were summoned to the surgery to have it done.
I would still have them vaccinated today even after all I've heard but this is a decision only you can make as a parent. My BIL is a surgeon and a physician and I asked him if he will have his young baby vaccinated when she is the age for the MMR and he said yes.
I have heard that the autism is presenting at about the age it would normally present when no vaccine has been given........ but...... I do understand your concern. You feel the responsibility and the thought of anything being inflicted on our children as a result of a decision by us is unbearable.

Both of my children have had the triple jab, our youngest had his last one about 8 months ago. I had asked my GP what he thought about it and he said his son was having the triple jab that week (his son is the same age as mine). That certainly reassured me. I think we have to accept that measles, mumps and rubella have not been completely eradicated so have to take the necessary precautions to avoid these potentially dangerous diseases.

Fiona

What a hard decision for you to make.

I'm 27 and when I was younger my mum refused ALL vaccinations. So I've had none at all, sorry I've had one the Rubella one. I have had measels etc which to be honest they weren't too bad. I've also had menigitus not too many people knew what it was at the time and living so close to one of the signature areas ie Stroud it was very popular.

My mum knows of four people who were born the same time as I was who have developed disabilites since having vaccinations but she probably knows hundreds who weren't. It seems as if the main issue is having them all together, one huge dose of bacteria for such a young body to deal with.

You have to do what you think is right. I think personally for when I have children I would follow my mums example. It didn't do me any harm.

personally speaking from a mum with a child with multiple disabilites, one being autism, i would if i had my time again definately say no to the triple MMR jab, although their is no proof that the MMR caused our DS's autism it is always in the back of your mind!. It takes a split second for that needle to go into your child, and im sure all of us parents want whats best and never want to see our children suffer, but having an autistic child is hard work to the point of dispair most days.
Think carefully and do what you think is right for your child, it can only be your decision nobody else's.
Good luck

Jules

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter