• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MLK week

ShannonMB

DIS Veteran
Well, after our trip the week before Thanksgiving this year, I was totally set on going in 2010 the same week. NOBODY was there, we had a 12 minute standby wait on TSMM at 11:30am!! I even set up a new ticker as soon as I got home! :laughing:

My DD (in 3rd grade this year), has since told me she doesn't want to miss a whole week of school next year for our Disney trip. She doesn't think it's fair to her teacher. Fair enough, I gotta respect the work ethic and I'm actually pretty proud of that attitude. She did say she'd be okay missing 3 days, so I was thinking the week including MLK Monday. For some reason, her school always has that Friday off, too.

How is it that week? We did fine last year during Pres week, although it was a totally different vacation than mid-Nov, crowd-wise! What would we be in for that week?

We'll be making our 4th MLK weekend visit in 2010. You'll find crowds around that time to be significant Saturday-Monday, with low crowds Tuesday onward. If you have a good touring plan you shouldn't be bothered by the crowds. Weather is always a mixed bag -not much significant rain, but temps that can be cool in the evening and morning.

2010 is an odd year, because you have Mardi Gras and MLK week falling in the same week. Add to that a cheerleading competition and it is going to be busy. I have a friend who is going down for the cheering competition and then they are staying the extra days themselves through MLK for some down time. They were able to make their desired ADR's, but a few they were not.

Also, for the competition, they were staying at AKL, but for the last few days of their trip, they had to move over to POR, because AKL was completely booked.

This will be our second MLK week trip and we hope to make it an annual thing. The weekend portion is fairly busy but from Tuesday on the crowds went down to almost nothing. Be prepared to dress in layers and add/subtract clothing as needed throughout the day. I have not heard of Mardi Gras in January :confused: in 2010. I thought that was held around February or March.

Mardi Gras is 2/16/2010...maybe the PP was thinking of President's day, which is 2/15/2010 this year...?

We've been in different years before, during and after MLK weekend, and in most instances the crowds have been fairly light, except on the weekends when they were just "light."

I'm not sure I could handle a 12 minute standby wait at TSM!!!:lmao: What would I do with all the extra time!!!:confused3:rotfl:

we will be there that week this year. I will post how it was when we return. We went in late October last year and we are hoping it is about the same or less crowded than that.

We've been in different years before, during and after MLK weekend, and in most instances the crowds have been fairly light, except on the weekends when they were just "light."

Good to hear this! We'll check in on 1/17 and are doing either DHS or AK on Monday 1/18, so I tried very hard to work around it. Hopefully we'll have waited out the crowds so it's not too busy.

This will be our second MLK week trip and we hope to make it an annual thing. The weekend portion is fairly busy but from Tuesday on the crowds went down to almost nothing. Be prepared to dress in layers and add/subtract clothing as needed throughout the day. I have not heard of Mardi Gras in January :confused: in 2010. I thought that was held around February or March.

:cool1: that's what we are hoping for!!! :) We get there on Tues(19th) we're hoping we'll have a few days of low crowds... :banana:

I was hoping you could give me the dates for Martin Luther King weekend/or week. I'm a Canadian.:flower3:

We were there last year and the weekend was very busy, but the rest of the week was moderate. There are often conventions and competitions during January, so that needs to be remembered. We are arriving this year on Jan. 21 (to the 30th), so will be avoiding the actual MLK weekend. We seldom ever swim as it's generally cold, but do use the hot tub alot (BWV).

Here's some cheerleading info that will be held at the WWoS in WDW in 2010:

National Championships
UCA sponsors three of the most prestigious national championships in the country. These championships are broadcast on ESPN and espn2 to over 90 million homes each year. Over 22,000 cheerleaders compete at these events each year with over 25,000 spectators attending these competitions to show their support.

College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championship
January 15 - 17, 2010

National High School Cheerleading Championship
February 12 - 14, 2010

National All Star Cheerleading Championship
March 12 - 14, 2010

We were there last year and the weekend was very busy, but the rest of the week was moderate. There are often conventions and competitions during January, so that needs to be remembered. We are arriving this year on Jan. 21 (to the 30th), so will be avoiding the actual MLK weekend. We seldom ever swim as it's generally cold, but do use the hot tub alot (BWV).

Here's some cheerleading info that will be held at the WWoS in WDW in 2010:

National Championships
UCA sponsors three of the most prestigious national championships in the country. These championships are broadcast on ESPN and espn2 to over 90 million homes each year. Over 22,000 cheerleaders compete at these events each year with over 25,000 spectators attending these competitions to show their support.

College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championship
January 15 - 17, 2010

National High School Cheerleading Championship
February 12 - 14, 2010

National All Star Cheerleading Championship
March 12 - 14, 2010

Thanks for that info about the pool and cheering competitions. We just miss them, yay! LOL

We're going for our honeymoon starting that Sunday. Arriving January 17th and departing January 25th. We didn't even know we were getting married on a holiday weekend so we'll just keep our fingers crossed that the crowds are light after Monday. :-) Can't wait to go back to WDW, it's been 3 years since I've been there! It's not WDW to me without SOME crowds though, lol.

Thanks for the feedback, all! You've sold me on the week. I'm not one who *hates* crowds, so sounds like we'll do just fine. Also sounds like it won't be Pres Week crowded. Definitely a good thing. So I changed my ticker to MLK week, 2011. Doesn't look as good as the Nov, 2010 one, but hey, more time to save up, right? Wonder when I'll be able to officially book (?).

Thanks again!

Thanks for all of this information, everyone! We'll be down in three weeks for a trip Jan 9-15. Looking forward to it. I was kind of upset about not seeing the decorations (we normally go during the Christmas - NYE week), but perhaps we may have some lighter crowds to look forward to... We'll see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter