MK Toddler Touring Strategy?

Thanks for your thoughts! I will say that all three of us are extremely heat-adverse so this is my preferred time of year to go, even though I know it's too cold for many! It's usually mid fifties to mid seventies, which is perfect in my book, but I also don't usually spend a ton of the time at the pool so it is a valid point that it may be too cool in the mornings to rely on the pool as an easy option to entertain the toddler and I may need to come up with some non-water based/non-park activities....
Please allow me to clarify, I have been on WDW almost every month of the year, including Jan. One advantage of Jan has often been lower prices. The Art Festival is also fun.

In January, we have scraped frost and seen great billowing clouds coming from the pool, and shuttle boats stopped due to dense fog.

Just tidbits to know.

The resorts themselves often have activities that can be fun for little ones. Not as many as they used to have but some.

A few things we've done are to bring temporary tattoos. You can find Disney ones at kid party supplies. You could also do some form of Disney bounding. We call glitter hairspray Pixie Dust, but be sure to spray it outside as it makes a mess. Another option might be colored hair gel for boys, but that gets messy. I'm not sure the status of the barber shop in MK, but that was a fun place once upon a time.

Fort Wilderness Circle-D Ranch is fun to explore.

These days, we limit ADR's. One we recently did that was fun is T-Rex in D Springs. If you think it will not be too intense for him. It does get a bit loud.

Your son might really enjoy digging in the sand out front or getting a bag of fossils in sand. (with help you rinse off the sand to reveal what fossils you got.) The gift shop has far less merch than it used to.

Last edited:
Please allow me to clarify, I have been on WDW almost every month of the year, including Jan. One advantage of Jan has often been lower prices. The Art Festival is also fun.

In January, we have scraped frost and seen great billowing clouds coming from the pool, and shuttle boats stopped due to dense fog.

Just tidbits to know.

The resorts themselves often have activities that can be fun for little ones. Not as many as they used to have but some.

A few things we've done are to bring temporary tattoos. You can find Disney ones at kid party supplies. You could also do some form of Disney bounding. We call glitter hairspray Pixie Dust, but be sure to spray it outside as it makes a mess. Another option might be colored hair gel for boys, but that gets messy. I'm not sure the status of the barber shop in MK, but that was a fun place once upon a time.

Fort Wilderness Circle-D Ranch is fun to explore.

These days, we limit ADR's. One we recently did that was fun is T-Rex in D Springs. If you think it will not be too intense for him. It does get a bit loud.

Your son might really enjoy digging in the sand out front or getting a bag of fossils in sand. (with help you rinse off the sand to reveal what fossils you got.) The gift shop has far less merch than it used to.
Thank you! These are great ideas about the tattoos and fossil digging. He does love digging in sand for any sort of treasures. I do believe the barber shop is also still going strong so that could be an option, too.

For ADRs, I'm thinking we will go heavy on the character dining buffets/family style because they're actually kind of a deal since he's free to eat off our plates but he's a good eater!

On the weather - I think I may have been misleading on saying our trip is "early 2024" - we're going very end of February into March, so it should be a bit warmer than January. But we are certainly not taking it for granted that it will be whether we will want to swim in, so I love these other ideas for activities for non-park time.

Thank you! These are great ideas about the tattoos and fossil digging. He does love digging in sand for any sort of treasures. I do believe the barber shop is also still going strong so that could be an option, too.

For ADRs, I'm thinking we will go heavy on the character dining buffets/family style because they're actually kind of a deal since he's free to eat off our plates but he's a good eater!

On the weather - I think I may have been misleading on saying our trip is "early 2024" - we're going very end of February into March, so it should be a bit warmer than January. But we are certainly not taking it for granted that it will be whether we will want to swim in, so I love these other ideas for activities for non-park time.
Hope you have a great trip. I love going that time of year.

Good information. I'm in pre-planning stages to take my granddaughter for her 3rd birthday. When I took my toddlers, they were early risers and I'd go for rope drop or soon after and be able to do most of what I wanted to do before lunch. Sometimes back to the hotel but if they decided to nap in the stroller I just kept going to see things that I was interested in. Sometimes I'd take them back late afternoon but more often we'd do a resort dinner somewhere and playground for a bit and be back for bed at 7:30-8:00. Its so much easier if the trip is focused on one age group (one toddler and adult) than if you have a toddler and pre teen (which is what happened to me for a few years as my two are nearly 8 years apart).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter