MK to WL for WCC - too much time wasted?

DestinationDisney

dreams do come true...
I called to make a dinner reservation for Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge (which I've always wanted to see).

The CM told me that I should be aware that since we are traveling during holiday season (Dec 25-30) it will be very busy and it will take more time than usual to get from Magic Kingdom to WL. She said by the time we catch a bus from MK to the WL, eat dinner, then take a bus back, we'll have wasted (guess it depends on how you view it) quite a bit of time.

We'll only be in WDW for a few days, so this does have me concerned. We've been to WDW many times so this isn't a first time visit. We imagine that lines will be long and there is a lot to see so I really don't want to waste a lot of time. However, I've really been wanting to see the WL so it would have been nice to take a trip over there.

What would you do??

I went through this same dilema.

We are arriving Dec 8th.
Flight arrives at 12:30pm

WCC closes at 3pm and I don't think we'd make it in time. Just the travel time from CBR to MK, to WL takes a bit of time.

We decided just to eat at Tony's in MK before MVMCP starts. WCC looks delicious and I hope we can eat there next trip!

Where are you staying? We're having dinner at Artists Point one night in December and will be taking a cab from our resort. If you want to eat there and see the decorations I don't see that it's wasted time. You'll be spending the evening doing what you want and probably having a great time.

If this was your first visit, I would stick to the straight and narrow. Yes, you'd miss a wonderful experience at Wilderness Lodge, but you'll be having so many new and wonderful experiences already, that you probably wouldn't notice the difference. If, however, this was a return visit to WDW, I'd be more inclined to take a few hours out of the day for this diversion -- well worth the time.

I have no personal experience for you but I can tell you that we have ressies for 12-20 and the CM told me to use the boat from MK as this will be faster. Hope this helps. :)

Since you've been to the MK many times, I wouldn't worry about the time issue. Go to the park as early as you can than go to the WL and enjoy your dinner and touring the lodge. One of the great things about being a return visitor is that you no longer have to do Disney "commando" style and you can really enjoy some of the hidden treats.

Enjoy!

Take the boat from MK to WL. It is at best at the longest a 15 min. ride. And this depends on if they go to FW first. We own DVC at WL so we have used the boat many times. I believe the first dropoff at night is at the WL. Go and take some time to check out the resort. It is a great place, especially during Christmas. And eating at WCC is a real hoot of a good time. The skillet is what I recommend for all. Have fun!!

After 3:00 PM the boat goes from MK to WL then to FW and back to MK. Before three it's just the opposite. MK-FW-WL-MK. The boat ride takes about 10 minutes from MK to WL.

Also keep in mind that the boat doesn't operate in strong winds.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still debating making the reservation.

We currently have reservations at the Concourse Steakhouse (Contemporary I believe?) but I was considering changing it to either Kona Cafe or Whispering Canyon.

I didn't realize there was a boat to take back and forth from WL to MK. This is definitely a plus! Can you tell me where I pick up the boat? Is it just outside the entrance to MK?

Take the boat or as OP said, take a cab and then take Disney transportation to MK or where ever you wanted to go back to. We had breakfast there one morning and were not sure if we wanted to waste the time (our ADRs were late in the morning). But we had such a good time and we all still talk about the experience :thumbsup2 .

DestinationDisney said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still debating making the reservation.

We currently have reservations at the Concourse Steakhouse (Contemporary I believe?) but I was considering changing it to either Kona Cafe or Whispering Canyon.

I didn't realize there was a boat to take back and forth from WL to MK. This is definitely a plus! Can you tell me where I pick up the boat? Is it just outside the entrance to MK?

Yes, the launch is right outside the entrance to MK. It's clearly marked for the Wilderness Lodge. We took the boat over from MK and it WCC was the best meal and dining experience of our trip with our kids.

DrmWvr1299 said:
Take the boat or as OP said, take a cab and then take Disney transportation to MK or where ever you wanted to go back to. We had breakfast there one morning and were not sure if we wanted to waste the time (our ADRs were late in the morning). But we had such a good time and we all still talk about the experience :thumbsup2 .

To take a cab, you have to take the boat or Monorail back to the TTC, soooooooo, you might as well just take the boat to WL.

When MK is really crowded I think it's even more enjoyable to leave the park for awhile, and WL is just gorgeous at Christmas. I think it would be worth the time, and the boat ride itself is very enjoyable.

Will you be going from the MK to WCC? The bus from MK to WL is just A5 minutes trip, much faster than the boat which takes 30 mins. Take the bus.

We ate at WCC in January and LOVED it! I'm excited to go back this time with kids! Yes - it might take away from standing in line for a ride, but if you've done all the "normal" park stuff - it will be fun to get out & do something different. I'm not good at knowing how to get around the fastest way, but I do think you should make the ADR and eat at WCC. Walking in the front door of WL is breathtaking. I can't imagine what it'd be like at Christmas!

GalDisney said:
Will you be going from the MK to WCC? The bus from MK to WL is just A5 minutes trip, much faster than the boat which takes 30 mins. Take the bus.
I agree! We took the boat to WL from MK, and had to stand in a looong line of people to board the boat. Couldn't get on that boat and had to wait for the next one. And the boat ride is slow! That was in January, so I can just imagine the line of people waiting for a boat at Christmas time.

We had Christmas dinner @ WCC some time ago and it was a great experience. It is simply gorgeous there for Christmas. I took the boat with DS and it took no time at all.

Sure, you're taking time out from the parks for this, so that's a choice that you'll have to make; but I highly recommend WCC for the holidays. I thought that it was terrific. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter