MK strategy for thunderstorms?

PatsGirl

DIS Veteran
We are going tomorrow for am emh and will get there for rope drop. Are there particular rides we should hitbefore the rain or during the rain? What closes? What opens up first if/when the rain stops? Going another day is not an option, its our last of 4 days and we were saving it for MK

Just a suggestion - you might get more/better responses (especially since you need answers before tomorrow) if you post this on another board - maybe Theme Park Attractions and Strategies? I honestly don't know the answers to your questions, otherwise I'd try and help you myself.

if lightning (not just rain), I know they will close Big Thunder, Splash, Magic Carpets, Dumbo, Astro Orbiter and Indy Speedway. 7DMT is a very strong possible as is the Riverboat, Jungle Cruise and Swiss Family Treehouse. Sadly, they also tend to close the People Mover (at least when I've been in MK during a storm).

if lightning (not just rain), I know they will close Big Thunder, Splash, Magic Carpets, Dumbo, Astro Orbiter and Indy Speedway. 7DMT is a very strong possible as is the Riverboat, Jungle Cruise and Swiss Family Treehouse. Sadly, they also tend to close the People Mover (at least when I've been in MK during a storm).
This sums it up. The outdoor rides are the ones you want to try and hit before it rains. They may close in a storm and may not immediately reopen when it stops because they need the tracks to be dry, dry off the ride vehicles, etc.

As for the People Mover, we actually got stuck on that in a storm a couple of years ago. There was a nasty lightening storm. While riding it, we saw lightening hit Space Mountain but People Mover continued running. We actually went through Space Mountain with the lights on as a result. Then lightening hit again and stopped our ride. We had to be evacuated on foot.

All things considered, I always say that MK is the best park to do in the rain because there are so many attractions so densely packed in. You can easily go from one to the next without spending a lot of time out in the rain. This is as opposed to Epcot where you'll get drenched getting from one pavilion to the next. It's a pretty good walk from The Land, for example, to Imagination.

This sums it up. The outdoor rides are the ones you want to try and hit before it rains. They may close in a storm and may not immediately reopen when it stops because they need the tracks to be dry, dry off the ride vehicles, etc.

As for the People Mover, we actually got stuck on that in a storm a couple of years ago. There was a nasty lightening storm. While riding it, we saw lightening hit Space Mountain but People Mover continued running. We actually went through Space Mountain with the lights on as a result. Then lightening hit again and stopped our ride. We had to be evacuated on foot.
Wow - the Space Mtn. with lights on is kinda cool (you can always tell Disney Geeks like me, who grab their cameras to take pics of this!) :), but being evacuated on foot from PM is kinda scary, although still cool. I'd hate it if I had to take a ladder down, due to limited mobility.

Wow - the Space Mtn. with lights on is kinda cool (you can always tell Disney Geeks like me, who grab their cameras to take pics of this!) :), but being evacuated on foot from PM is kinda scary, although still cool. I'd hate it if I had to take a ladder down, due to limited mobility.
I've done SM a few times with lights on for one reason or another. Walking off PM was no problem. No ladders involved. We walked alongside the track and then took stairs that let us out in Tomorrowland Terrace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter