MK no longer "dry"????

kcb1dizbksfan said:
What I object is your first statement about recommending that I just don't go to WDW.

Now ... We have both expressed our views on serving alcohol at the MK ... We will have to agree to diagree on this point.

I would like to hear from others and their opinions!

DR NYKCB (Ken)

I'm sorry I said that, your right that was wrong of me to say that.

I've always loved the Podcast forum because it's been one of the least judgemental forums...Please let's keep it that way. We all have different opinions, can we just be respectful of other opinions?

I understand that some people are upset with any alcohol being served in MK, but there are others (myself included) who are okay with a glass of wine with dinner. We should all be able to state our opinions without being called out.

I've always loved the Podcast forum because it's been one of the least judgemental forums...Please let's keep it that way. We all have different opinions, can we just be respectful of other opinions?

I understand that some people are upset with any alcohol being served in MK, but there are others (myself included) who are okay with a glass of wine with dinner. We should all be able to state our opinions without being called out.

Agreed :thumbsup2

I am very sad they are going to serve alcohol in MK. I to have been to Epcot and seen a lot of drunk people. I do not think they will allow any one to sit there and just drink, but still, why do people think alcohol has to be everywhere. I wonder if Disney did a poll on this,before the decision was made. This is not going to stop anyone from going to Disney, but this does brother me a lot. I did not see a comment from John, Kevin, Corey and the rest of the gang. What do you all think?:confused3

I was shocked that Disney decided to serve Wine and Beer at BOG. I don't like either Wine or Beer so I won't be drinking it.

As far as I can tell BOG won't have a bar so you can only have Beer or Wine if you sit down at a table. As long as they keep it only at BOG and only the few Beers and Wine it won't bother me.
I just can't see bunches of drunk people all over the MK because they had two beers. I do understand people being upset because Disney is blowing off Walt's wishes tho.

I don't like the idea of losing a "dry" MK, especially when it's in Fantasyland where more of the 'kiddie' rides are located. That said, I don't remember running into any drunks during my visits to Epcot so as long as Disney keeps this in check and it isn't just a Scrooge-increasing-his-Money-Bin scheme then I'm not going to make waves about it. Someone else already said it: hopefully they're just keeping this to the table-service meals and will keep tabs on the customers' consumption.

Do we really know what Walt's wishes would have been in this situation? If he were alive today, would there be alcohol served in ANY Disney park? Would the Food and Wine festivals exist?

Wine is frequently part of French dinners. We cannot really know whether or not Walt would have allowed Be Our Guest to serve alcohol to make the meal more authentic.

Walt may have not liked this decision, but using his Disneyland policy/philosophy, the other Disney parks would not serve alcohol either.

My point is that we don't really know what Walt would have done in this day and time.

Hi Everyone,

Please keep your comments related to the original topic at hand.

Arguing of any kind on the DIS Boards is against Posting Guidelines. Please refrain from doing so in future posts.

Yeah. :thumbsup2

not quite sure how beer is complimentary to french cuisine, but wine is a nice touch.
alas, be our guest won't be open when i'm there in october...

Do we really know what Walt's wishes would have been in this situation? If he were alive today, would there be alcohol served in ANY Disney park? Would the Food and Wine festivals exist?

Wine is frequently part of French dinners. We cannot really know whether or not Walt would have allowed Be Our Guest to serve alcohol to make the meal more authentic.

Walt may have not liked this decision, but using his Disneyland policy/philosophy, the other Disney parks would not serve alcohol either.

My point is that we don't really know what Walt would have done in this day and time.

I totally agree. Each time I hear "What would Walt think" I always think to myself if Walt continued to run the company The Disney Corporation probably would have gone bankrupt. His brother Roy saved it and in later years Michael Eisner rejunvenated the parks. I think if alcohol enhances or is a part of the genuine theme, it should be served. And it definitely belongs in a French restaurant.

I'm ambivalent about the fact that they are serving beer and wine at Be Our Guest.

I dont think it's a big deal in one restaurant. If Casey's begins selling Big Gulps of Michelob.....I'll probably feel different.

As for the argument of "what would Walt think".....well, a lot has changed since December 15, 1966.

Would Walt have approved of "Drink Around the World" or R-rated movies being shown at Pleasure Island. In 1966, you were allowed to smoke in restaurants and anywhere else you wanted to smoke. Would Walt have approved of making his guests smoke in small, "off the beaten path" places?

In 1966, there were very few women executives. Would Walt have approved of a woman in charge? Would Walt approve of his company offering health benefits to same sex couples? Would Walt have approved the cost of tickets approaching $100?

It's my opinion that the "what would Walt think" argument is a bit silly.

Walt was pretty forward thinking for his time and who knows what sort of changes might have been made eventually? He might have suggested that there be a sports bar where the ice cream shop is now.....especially if he saw it as a way to keep his business alive.

I agree with those who suggest that this might be a slippery slope. Disney is a business and they are good at taking every opportunity to make more money. If wine and beer show a big enough profit at BOG, no one should be surprised when it becomes available everywhere.

As for telling people "well just dont go" or "well, if you dont agree, you shouldn't go".....jeez.....this is a bit silly too.

We've always prided ourselves on the fact that civil discussions can take place on the Unplugged Board. You are allowed to disagree with anyone.....including me. :eek: Just follow the Dis Board guidelines and everyone is entitled to their opinion and the opportunity to share it.

First off, I don't drink a lot and usually limit my drinking at WDW to Food and Wine Festival. Plus, I like that MK is a "dry park" and at times wish the other parks were more "dry".

That said, I think if you are going to truly have a nice restaurant with good food and high prices, you should allow your patrons to enjoy a glass of wine with the meal. I personally think that CRT should allow beer/wine as well, because when I'm plopping down $50 a meal for that meal I should be able to have a glass as well.

To say the park is truly "dry" is a fallacy. The monorail resorts are 5 minutes away, and I've seen more than one person drunk on their "diet coke" in MK.

Besides, I'm not sure I can wash down that "grey stuff" without a glass of vino!

This is what I agree with. The ideas of "What would Walt think?" and "Walt would be rolling over in his grave" just don't make much sense. Walt lived and died in a different environment then what we have today. Businesses have to grow and change with their environment and come up with strategic practices to do so. As such, we have no idea what Walt would have thought or done in a situation like this. Walt Disney is dead and can't be here to comment.

From a business standpoint, I agree with the decision. It makes sense financially and will likely increase overall sales and possibly bring more people in.

As a customer, I also agree with the decision and it may just sway me to eating at BOG on my next visit over other MK locations (depends on the food reviews). I do not think this will mean you will be seeing anymore drunk people in MK then you already do (not that I have seen any at all or at Epcot). I also find the idea that drinking around children is evil a bit funny and nonfactual.

I also find the idea that drinking around children is evil a bit funny and nonfactual.

I agree...but being a loud, cussing, beligerent drunk in a family theme park (as even Epcot is) is beyond classless. And it clearly DOES happen.

I'm personally not of too strong an opinion on this one, though I can imagine a nice wine or beer with a high end meal being a nice complement.

I am, however, of the mindset that the "Walt's wishes" argument is pretty tired at this point. To take his mindset of one place and time and try to supplant it to the here and now is fallacious, as a few others have already pointed out pretty clearly.

I also have my doubts this will lead to a bunch of drunks--as is allegedly the problem in Epcot (though honestly, as a guest I've never noticed that to be a problem even there). Random beer stands cropping up all over the park, and I'd probably feel a bit differently.

I agree...but being a loud, cussing, beligerent drunk in a family theme park (as even Epcot is) is beyond classless. And it clearly DOES happen.

As I'm sure you are aware....this is the exception to the rule.

Should Disney change their policies to fix "the exception"?

There is a great deal of behavior in any Disney park that can be described as "beyond tasteless".

Where do you draw the line?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter