MK no longer "dry"????

This whole thread blew up while I was on the Disney Fantasy last week, where I enjoyed wine with my dinners! :faint:

:rotfl2:

Seriously, I thought the outrage over the Magic Kingdom's "dry" status being "sacred" seemed a bit silly, when you consider that lots of Disney parks sell alcohol without losing any family-friendly consequences.

Last year at this time, I enjoyed doing this:

0138d58b.jpg

I had one beer while sitting at Casey's Corner on Main Street in Disneyland Paris with a few lovely people from this board. ;) No public drunkenness to speak of.

Count me as one who thinks this whole "what would Walt want" meme to be a bit overrated.....can't we all agree that Walt probably would not recognize 80% of Disney world as it now exists. I find it kind of silly for us to try and take a early 20th century mindset, and try and fit it into a 21st century world.....it is often apples and oranges.....that being said I think Walt may find gay days not to his liking, but that doesn't make it wrong or a step in the right direction......I think Walt would find it odd the amount of African Americans who hold executive positions in his company, or women for that matter.

If we are going to wax nostalgic about salts way of thinking we ought to keep a bit of perspective....just one mans opinion.

Ok, my last post:

Hope not! ;)

Whether or not there is alcohol is a Disney park really doesnt matter to me. I will still go either way. I have an ADR for November 19, 2012 at Be Our Guest. Will I order alcohol? If I am with people who do not drink, I will not order it. I totally understand people's feelings about alcohol.

If we ever dine together at Be My Guest, I hope you'll enjoy an alcoholic beverage with your meal. I wouldn't want my distaste for wine or beer (but not hard liquor :cool2:) to prevent you from enjoying your dinner with a glass of wine or beer!

this whole thread blew up while i was on the disney fantasy last week, where i enjoyed wine with my dinners! :faint:

:rotfl2:

Seriously, i thought the outrage over the magic kingdom's "dry" status being "sacred" seemed a bit silly, when you consider that lots of disney parks sell alcohol without losing any family-friendly consequences.

Last year at this time, i enjoyed doing this:

0138d58b.jpg

i had one beer while sitting at casey's corner on main street in disneyland paris with a few lovely people from this board. ;) no public drunkenness to speak of.

love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI: Pete and members of the team share their thoughts about the debate in this week's show from Mass.

I no longer drink alcohol but even when I did, I thought it was charming that there was no booze allowed at the MK. I was really saddened to hear about the change on the podcast when I listened this a.m.
It seems Disney will do anything for an easy buck these days :worried:

I would also argue that those that say we are "Starting down a slippery slope" are wrong. Since alcohol is allowed everywhere within the Disney universe EXCEPT MK/DL - this would actually be the "bottom of a slippery slope".

In fact, if it was a matter of improving the guest experience, I think the way food and wine encourages drunkeness and does little to remove overtly drunken people should be considered a bigger issue than that one restaurant in one park now serves wine.

Can anyone tell me of a time you've witnessed overly drunken behavior in one of the fine dining restaurants at Disney? (In my experience: "Never once")Now compare that to public drunkeness at Food and Wine (which in my experience is "every damn time I've been").

So, those of you getting up in arms about what alcohol will do to MK - shouldn't you first have been complaining elsewhere?

My opinion (and I am respecting everyone else's) is that I would prefer MK to stay dry.

It ain't gonna happen, but I think the person who decided this is wrong and is missing the point of the MK. There is really no need to serve beer and wine at BOG.

Now excuse me while I finish a Sam's Octoberfest.

I would also argue that those that say we are "Starting down a slippery slope" are wrong. Since alcohol is allowed everywhere within the Disney universe EXCEPT MK/DL - this would actually be the "bottom of a slippery slope".

In fact, if it was a matter of improving the guest experience, I think the way food and wine encourages drunkeness and does little to remove overtly drunken people should be considered a bigger issue than that one restaurant in one park now serves wine.

Can anyone tell me of a time you've witnessed overly drunken behavior in one of the fine dining restaurants at Disney? (In my experience: "Never once")Now compare that to public drunkeness at Food and Wine (which in my experience is "every damn time I've been").

So, those of you getting up in arms about what alcohol will do to MK - shouldn't you first have been complaining elsewhere?

I def wish they would reign in the drunkeness at some of the other locations...

Hey, time for another Sam's

First, beer and wine in Fantasyland, next year an opium den in Liberty Square. :rolleyes2

C'mon now, that's silly and I would hope that all of you know that.

That's obviously the next step. I can't wait to see where the brothel is going to go :p

I understand the issues/reservations some people have with the concept of alcohol being sold anywhere in Magic Kingdom, however I don't have any myself. As an adult who enjoys alcohol responsibly I don't have an issue with it being sold at MK.

I also don't have an issue if an actual document was cited that stated Walt Disney never wished for alcohol to be sold in MK, it is my belief that things change and given that alcohol hasn't caused major behavioral issues at the other Disney Parks it's sold in there is no reason why it shouldn't be sold at MK. Not to mention increased alcohol sales, equal increase in profit which in theory results in growth, ride/attraction rehabs and ride/attraction developments.

Not to mention a Dole Whip with Rum would be absolutely delicious in the Florida sun while sitting on a bench at MK. :thumbsup2

think they should keep it dry and just serve root beer type drinks to keep with the theme,can people really not survive the day at the park without a drink? geeze hit the monorial and get your fix at one of the resorts and come back

daraddg said:
think they should keep it dry and just serve root beer type drinks to keep with the theme,can people really not survive the day at the park without a drink? geeze hit the monorial and get your fix at one of the resorts and come back

I tell my husband this "you can't survive one family event without a drink" lol!!!!

I don't mind that my husband has a cold beer with dinner, but I remember last time we went to Epcot he told me it was only with dinner then to see him outside buying at the carts... We didn't talk the rest if the night.. Mainly, we have two small kids and the trip was about family not just DH. Plus I could think of 100 other things that money could have gone to...

I don't mind it being served during meals I just don't want to see it at carts at MK. I wouldn't mind a fruity drink at dinner myself...

We are going in Nov and I bought a 200 dollar gift card for DH it's for his round of Golf and Beer once the gift card runs out so does the Tap...lol

I also don't have an issue if an actual document was cited that stated Walt Disney never wished for alcohol to be sold in MK, it is my belief that things change and given that alcohol hasn't caused major behavioral issues at the other Disney Parks it's sold in there is no reason why it shouldn't be sold at MK. Not to mention increased alcohol sales, equal increase in profit which in theory results in growth, ride/attraction rehabs and ride/attraction developments.

Not to mention a Dole Whip with Rum would be absolutely delicious in the Florida sun while sitting on a bench at MK. :thumbsup2

Another poster cited this interview on another thread. I thought I'd share. :)

Another poster cited this interview on another thread. I thought I'd share. :)

I tried to let this drop, but........

While Walt does mention no drinks allowed in this interview, he was speaking of Disneyland. There is no mention of the Florida property.

My personal feeling is still that the ".....Against Walt's Wishes" is speculation based on Disneyland in the 50's and 60's......not fact, nor "common knowledge." I am still unable to find any evidence to support that Walt would forbid alcohol at Florida's Magic Kingdom.

Speaking of Disneyland, Walt does say
No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink.

If Walt was using park as a general term, that brings back one of my original questions......Why is alcohol served in the other 3 Florida parks, and the international parks? Why does the Food and Wine Festival even exist.....IN A PARK?????

Again, I have not yet found evidence of Walt forbidding alcohol in Florida's Magic Kingdom.

can people really not survive the day at the park without a drink? geeze hit the monorial and get your fix at one of the resorts and come back
^ I'm sorry, but I find the above quote to be rather offensive.

I enjoy alcohol responsibly, and I especially enjoy it on vacation.

Hit the monorail and, "get your fix" ? That's uncalled for...

I can "survive" a day in the park without a drink, thank you very much, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a couple of cold beers on a hot afternoon.

It's somewhat akin to, "could you survive the rest of your life without steak and lobster" ? Well, of course I could- but, why would I want to ?

This reminds me of a Ken Burns special I just watched on PBS entitled, "Prohibition". Basically, it comes down to two different kinds of people, the "Wet's" and the "Dry's"

If you consider yourself to be in the latter of those categories, that's fine. I'd be the first to support your beliefs.

But, please don't throw around terms like, "can't survive the day without a drink" and "hitting the monorail to 'get your fix' ".

That comes across as judgemental and "holier than thou", and *nothing* good has ever come from those viewpoints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter