MK- first or last?

Here is another thought...do MK first and then do HS. Those are 2 completely different parks, with completely different feels. If your kids truly enjoyed both of them...repeat those 2 again! They aren't going to miss what they don't even know is there. Maybe catch AK and Epcot on a different trip! I would also be prepared to purchase a park hopper after you get to Disney World if your kids don't like the other parks. You could go into the other parks and if nothing strikes their fancy, you can jump back into the fun at either HS or MK in a matter of an hour or so!

I am also very much in the first and last camp. We start and end every long trip at MK. The shorter weekend type trips always start in MK, but don't always end there. It's the heart and soul of WDW, for us there's no other place to start...and when possible, end.

I disagree with the idea of skipping HS, especially since you have a 7 year old really into Star Wars. The construction is way overblown, it's not a big deal. Not much is closed because of it. There are also a bunch of attractions for younger kids. Frozen Sing along, TSMM, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast show, GMR, Muppets and more. For your Star Wars fan, JTA, Star Tours and Launch Bay are must do attractions, as is the fireworks. You definitely don't want to miss HS, in my opinion.

Even if you can't end in MK, definitely start there. So much to see and do.
I agree that DHS is fun for kids (of course it is, it's a Disney park), however I was going off the assumption OP has limited park days (3-4) since it sounds like they can only visit each park once which is why they are having to choose first or last. To achieve first AND last as so many of us suggest, something's gotta give. I doubt that would be Epcot since so many consider that a "can't miss" park and there's too many fun new things happening at AK right now for most people to consider giving that up.

I like to save Magic Kingdom for last with first timers and go out with a bang. I sometimes worry the other parks might be a bit of a let down for young kids especially after MK. But, as a repeat visitor, first and last!

If you have 4 days, 2 days MK(1st and last day), 1 day studio(2nd day), 1 day AK.... skip Epcot for now.
If you have 5 days, 2 days MK(1st and last day), 2 days studio(2nd and 2nd to last day), 1 day AK..... skip Epcot for now.
More than 5 days, add Epcot.. and a rest day somewhere in there. They will probably want to go swimming at the resort pool.

Magic Kingdom has Pirates! Might want to show a few you-tube videos to 7 yo.

Have a great time!
5 days planned. Love this advice! 7 yo DS will love Star Wars and pirates!!

I agree with first and last. I would skip hollywood studios and do MK twice. Especially with your kids' ages. HS has a lot of construction, few attractions, and doesn't appeal as much to young kids (aside from midway mania and the frozen stuff -- but you can catch anna and elsa in epcot anyway). It will take 2 days to fully enjoy Magic Kingdom anyway, with all the parades, shows, and attractions that you'll want to see.

We HAVE to go to HS for Star Wars for my 7 yo. But I am totally on board with 2 days in MK!!

On or first trip my kids were 10 and 12. I saved the Magic Kingdom for our last day and was glad I did. Both kids liked that park best out of all that we had done (HS, AK, both Universal parks, Busch Gardens and Seaworld)

We really just do whatever is most convenient for us. We're staying at Beach Club, so on arrival day we're going to walk over to Epcot at night. Our first full day will be at Hollywood Studios because it's EMH the next morning - totally not our favorite park! But it works with our schedule. It's very possible that we won't be to MK until our second full day (third day of the trip). But, we do have planned to go to MK the most out of all the parks (3 times). It won't be our last park either.

Another vote for first and last..... if possible! Not sure how many days you are staying or if you have hoppers! If its not possible to do 2 full days at MK.... and you have hoppers..... make it the first day and go in the evening of your last day.... do fireworks, etc. If your only option is one day... definitely do it first! They won't be thinking of anything else and won't enjoy the other parks until they see the castle and everything else at MK.

we went to MK the day we arrived (midday) but stayed at the CR so it was an easy walk for us. it was our first trip and definitely set the mood for the rest of the holiday so it was a perfect memory!

We really just do whatever is most convenient for us. We're staying at Beach Club, so on arrival day we're going to walk over to Epcot at night.

because we are staying at yacht club this time, we will probably do epcot on arrival day as well, due to proximity.

We always do MK first, along with other days in the middle of the trip...but it doesn't usually work out for us to do it last, bc it's an EMH day that we don't want to participate in or a Saturday which is really busy.

Ideally first and last but if you're only doing one day, then I would probably go first. The anticipation of seeing MK may make the kids impatient during the entire vacation and then they won't fully enjoy the other parks. With one loving SW and the other loving princesses, there will be plenty for them at DHS and EP to keep their enthusiasm going after seeing MK. There is something about starting a trip by seeing the castle that is second to none.

Definitely both!!! It doesn't always work out that way. Part of the time it depends on where we are staying. This time it first will be Animal kingdom. With a 5 year old I would definitely do it first! You will need to come back again at some point in the trip. How long are you there?

Definitely both!!! It doesn't always work out that way. Part of the time it depends on where we are staying. This time it first will be Animal kingdom. With a 5 year old I would definitely do it first! You will need to come back again at some point in the trip. How long are you there?

5 park days. So, we're thinking first day MK, second HS, third AK, fourth resort or Epcot, and fifth MK!

We always do MK first, along with other days in the middle of the trip...but it doesn't usually work out for us to do it last, bc it's an EMH day that we don't want to participate in or a Saturday which is really busy.

Is there a pattern to the EMH? Or does it vary?

I do MK 1st day and last day alot of times
Always last day and at least 1 other day during my trips.
I never do MK only once per trip.
Love MK, so at least twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter