MK area boat access

Jecca

DIS Veteran
For the first part of our trip this summer, we're staying at Bay Lake Tower and considering doing Hoop Dee Doo (first time for the kids). It looks like access from the Contemporary to Fort Wilderness is by boat, which may or may not be accessible depending on water levels. I use a wheelchair and can't walk, so I'm pretty stuck if I can't get on the boat. What are the odds of this happening? What other options do I have for getting to FW quickly?

I do believe you can take a buss although you may have to go to the MK buss stop and get it there not 100% sure but you can not be the only person staying there in a wheel chair that goes to the fort

If the CR boat to FW isn't accessible to you when you are there (either the water level is too low or they are using the smaller, non accessible cruisers), then you can go to the MK and catch a bus to FW, or see if the launches there are accessible (they use the larger launches).

I am not positive, but I think the Contempoary boats are all the small ones, which are not accessible (they have a step).

We have gone to FW multiple times using the large boats that leave from the MK dock. It is unusual (but not impossible) for those to not be accessible because of water levels.

When boats are not accessible, WDW substitutes buses, so you will still be able to get there.
If you are concerned, you can discuss with the front desk/concierge at your resort.

Very seldom is the water level so low the Friendship Crusiers cannot accommodate the wheelchair/ecv ramp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAY LAKE & SEVEN SEAS LAGOON RESORT BOATS to/from WL-FW-CR-MK: (effective July-2015)
Wilderness Lodge, Magic Kingdom: (RED FLAG)
One MOTOR LAUNCH runs each from 30-min prior to MK opening until 1-1/2-hrs after MK closing.These boats run only between the MK and WL.

Fort Wilderness, Magic Kingdom: (GREEN FLAG)
One MOTOR CRUISER and one MOTOR LAUNCH runs each from 30-min prior to MK opening until 1-1/2-hrs after MK closing.These boats run only between the MK and FW.

Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary: (BLUE FLAG)
Two MOTOR LAUNCH run at 0645-hrs to 2330-hrs daily.
Both run clockwise (FW>WL>CR>FW) until about 1500-hrs, then reverse direction (CR>WL>FW>CR) at 1500-hrs.

FW-WL-CR, Polynesian, Grand Floridian: (GOLD FLAG)
If you want to go to the GF/Poly from the WL, CR or FW by boat, you will have to go to the MK
and then get the Gold flag MOTOR LAUNCH. In addition, there is no boat that goes directly from
the CR to the MK, GF or Poly. Additional boats may be added to the Gold, Green, Red and Blue
routes during periods of exceptionally high demand, like at heavy MK closings, to alleviate guest lines at the docks. runs each from 30-min prior to MK opening until 1-1/2-hrs after MK closing.

[]b]Wheelchair and ECV "411":[/b]
Rental Boats:
The rental boats at various marinas include pontoons, individual watercraft, and sailboats. Only
the pontoons have ready access for chairs and ECV's without collapsing or man-handling.

Resort MOTOR LAUNCHES and CRUISERS:
For MOTOR LAUNCHES, strollers must be folded prior to boarding and ECVs cannot be accommodated
on MOTOR LAUNCHES under any circumstances.Additionally, all MOTOR LAUNCHES require guests to step down into the boat.

MOTOR CRUISERS
MOTOR CRUISERS do accommodate ECV's unless the lake water level is too low.

The boats from the Contemporary to FW and WL are the smaller ones. Wheelchairs need to be folded and transfer onto the boat down a step. The boats from MK are bigger and transferring is not needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter