Mixology or Martini tasting

missyp

DIS Veteran
On our last cruise DH and I did mixology and had so much fun. This time we are bringing my in laws. DH and FIL are going to do beer tasting. I want my MIL to have the best experience possible. I know what to expect with mixology but to those who have done both which did you enjoy more martini tasting or mixology?

I think both of these are a lot of fun, so pick the one that fits best in your schedule.

Did mixology and loved it. Not a martini fan so I would stick with mixology. We have done the wine and champagne tastings though and enjoyed all so if you all like Martinis then go for both :)

We really like the mixology class. Very good. Which ship are you going on? We really enjoyed the beer tasting on the Dream, but not so much on the Fantasy. They were very similar, but the CM on the Dream was WAY more into it than the one on the Fantasy. The one on the Dream, said this was his ultimate dream job (no pun intended) while the CM on the Fantasy was more ho-hum..

I have done both and my favorite is the Mixology class. Just a bit more fun in my opinion.

I've only done the mixology (of the two) but I'd say it depends on what you and your mom like to drink. Based on what my mom likes to drink, I know she'd prefer the mixology over the martini tasting.

We are on the Wonder, which was the same ship we did Mixology on. Does the same CM usually do all of the tastings? The CM that did mixology on the Wonder was so much fun, it wasn't that long ago hoping he is still onboard.

We are on the Wonder, which was the same ship we did Mixology on. Does the same CM usually do all of the tastings? The CM that did mixology on the Wonder was so much fun, it wasn't that long ago hoping he is still onboard.

Not necessarily. Different CMs have different areas of expertise. The mixology class was done by a couple bartenders whereas the wine tasting was run by a sommelier. Also, some of the classes can run simultaneously. On my cruise, there was a tequila and margarita tasting going on the same time as the wine tasting.

Not necessarily. Different CMs have different areas of expertise. The mixology class was done by a couple bartenders whereas the wine tasting was run by a sommelier. Also, some of the classes can run simultaneously. On my cruise, there was a tequila and margarita tasting going on the same time as the wine tasting.

For those of you that have done the martini tastinf, what kind of martinis were they? I would love it if it's flavored martinis like a lemondrop martini but I would not enjoy it if they are classic martinis.

For those of you that have done the martini tastinf, what kind of martinis were they? I would love it if it's flavored martinis like a lemondrop martini but I would not enjoy it if they are classic martinis.

BFF and I just did one on the Dream. Our first martini was a dry martini (gross!), then an apple martini, a cosmo martini and the last one was delicious but I can't remember what was in it. We learned two things 1. sit at the bar (we sat at a small table) and 2. volunteer - two of the volunteers got full-size martinis :cool1:

To add on to Ana~n~Joseph, we had five at our tasting on the Magic: classic, cosmo, a flavored one that I can't remember (peach maybe?), an apple, and a chocolate martini. They are smaller than average drinks in a bar but for a lightweight like me - they really packed a punch!

And to echo previous posters, I have found that the tastings's level of fun and entertainment can vary based on the CM doing the tasting. And on most of our cruises, there has been multiple CMs doing the tastings, based on their availability and skill set. I would suggest choosing based on the type of alcohol you like. You know you will like that, at least. And hopefully the CM will be super-fun and make the whole experience even better.

Thanks for the great responses. I think we will either do both or what works best with our schedule of whatever else we want to do

On our last cruise (fantasy 2012) we did a private mixology with our dis group that was a blast. They even came up with a signature cocktail for our group. I also did the martini tasting that cruise, and they took groups of us up to make each martini. So you got to make one of the drinks, and they were quite strong from some people.

Is there champagne tasting on the Dream four night?

Thank you.

Mixology we made our signature drink, mojito, Kubra libre, kir royals and then at the end a layered shot.

I hadn't even considered Mixology but mojito, Cuba Libre and kir royale are 3 of my 5 favorite drinks! I hope volunteering and sitting at the bar will work to get me extra there too because it's bow my first choice. ;-) Does Mixology mean the bartender shows you how to make it or do you make it yourself? It sounds like fun but it isn't exactly rocket science when Cuba Libre is rum and Coke and kir royale is champagne topped off with some cassis.

Does Mixology mean the bartender shows you how to make it or do you make it yourself? It sounds like fun but it isn't exactly rocket science when Cuba Libre is rum and Coke and kir royale is champagne topped off with some cassis.

Yes and no... A bartender/CM shows you how to make the drink. And you might not make the drink yourself, they usually have a volunteer from the attendees mix the drink. The bonus is that the person mixing the drink usually gets to drink the full size drink while everyone else gets smaller samples. My last cruise, my friends and I had a blast at the mixology class (and none of us are regular drinkers).

I have done two:

Both featured a "classic" martini (one vodka, one gin)--even martini drinkers don't usually care for the way this is made (too much dry vermouth)--and a dirty martini with olive brine.

The remaining 3-4 drinks are cocktails:

On Fantasy we had:

1) Martini with Chambord and raspberry puree--it's on the Meridian menu and is fantastic, and I don't even like fruity drinks.
2) Chocolate martini
3)Apple martini

On Magic last week there was:

1) Lemon drop martini
2) Apple flavored martini (actually a bourbon cocktail)
3) Fruity thingy made with Malibu-too sweet
4) Malibu, Midori and ice cream cocktail

Weird tasting, but fun. If you absolutely can't stand gin or vodka based martinis or if you don't like sweet drinks at all, avoid.

I've done both and I like all drinks pretty much so can't choose which I like better. Did both the Martini and Mixology classes on same day on Fantasy back in 2013, never again will I do that:rotfl2::cool1::lmao:

I did Mixology on the Dream this past week for the third time with the third different bar tender (once on the Fantasy and twice on the Dream). I had actually signed up for Tequila tasting but I showed up and no one else did. The bartender Ryan graciously offered to do a private tasting for me, but I hated to put him to all that trouble. So he told me I could do any other tasting of my choice. Since Mixology was an hour later, I decided to do that again. Benita was our bartender and she was great. We mixed four drinks: a rum runner, a martini/gibson, something I can't pronounce with fruit and rum, and a B52. All the drinks were good, and even though we had a large group, she let us get behind the bar and mix two of the four drinks. We did the other one at our seats. We had a fun group, and once again I thoroughly enjoyed the seminar. Wish I could have done Tequila, but I'll just save that for next time.

On our last cruise DW, another couple and I did both. We enjoyed both very much, but we liked the mixology class better. This probably varies with what guests are in the group, where it is, and at what time. We found the atmosphere and variety of drinks at the mixology class more to our tastes, but would do both again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter