• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mixology Class - Drinks?

Does anyone know if they will allow a nonticketed person to attend/watch? My DD19 will be the only underage person in our party. We'd like her to at least join us.

My sense is that the "smaller" classes that I did where it is just a few people and the host sitting in a bar that is "open for business" to other patrons do allow "observers." Indeed this was the case for my tastings. But it may also be true, as Shmoo said, that for the "larger" tastings, where they close the bar and the only people that are in it are the ones for the tasting, that observers may not be allowed.

Perhaps someone who has been to a lot of different kinds of tastings can tell us which are small, and which ones close the whole bar.

My sense is that the "smaller" classes that I did where it is just a few people and the host sitting in a bar that is "open for business" to other patrons do allow "observers." Indeed this was the case for my tastings. But it may also be true, as Shmoo said, that for the "larger" tastings, where they close the bar and the only people that are in it are the ones for the tasting, that observers may not be allowed.

Perhaps someone who has been to a lot of different kinds of tastings can tell us which are small, and which ones close the whole bar.

I have never been to one where they didn't close the whole bar, and I've done about ten tastings across several ships. However, I have not done rum, we canceled because it was during fireworks, and I have not done cognac.

I have never been to one where they didn't close the whole bar, and I've done about ten tastings across several ships. However, I have not done rum, we canceled because it was during fireworks, and I have not done cognac.

Interesting. So you aren't just talking about Mixology? You are talking about other tastings as well? I only did the Whiskey and the Cognac tastings. Both were small and didn't close the whole bar by any means. Thanks. That is exactly the kind of feedback and experiences I was looking for.

I've only done one Mixology (Fantasy) and was in the bar when they did a beer tasting.

Our Mixology was a private one set up by our cruise meet group. In Skyline and it was closed to only our group.
skyline fantasy 2014 mixology 2831 P1040031 1500.jpg

We were in Diversions (at the time) when they came in and set up for a beer tasting. They put the glasses full of beer on the tables and even invited anyone that was in there to join the group. But you didn't have to leave if you didn't join them.
diversions 2012 beer tasting 1 25130 100_7252 1500.jpg

On the recent EBPC cruise on the Wonder, the Cadillac Lounge was closed during the wine tasting (but would be closed at that time of day except for there being a tasting scheduled) while the Crown and Fin pub was open during the beer tasting (and again would be open at that time of day). There were quite a few non-tasters in the pub, since the tasting was during an hour between trivia games.

What is the Mixology class? Is it something you can book when you book your port excursions? I don't remember seeing it.

Interesting. So you aren't just talking about Mixology? You are talking about other tastings as well? I only did the Whiskey and the Cognac tastings. Both were small and didn't close the whole bar by any means. Thanks. That is exactly the kind of feedback and experiences I was looking for.

I have done several mixology classes, tequila, beer, wine, and martini. They closed the bar/door for all of those and had someone at the door to turn people away.

By the time I was able to sign up for cruise activities on line, there was only 1 spot left for the tequila and margarita tasting. Member Services advised me to take that spot and keep checking back for another spot for my DH. I don't understand why member services couldn't override the system for only 1 more person and then show the tasting as SOLD OUT.

Has anyone ever shown up with an extra person that was allowed to pay and attend at the last minute? (even if there were no last minute cancelations or no shows?)

By the time I was able to sign up for cruise activities on line, there was only 1 spot left for the tequila and margarita tasting. Member Services advised me to take that spot and keep checking back for another spot for my DH. I don't understand why member services couldn't override the system for only 1 more person and then show the tasting as SOLD OUT.

Has anyone ever shown up with an extra person that was allowed to pay and attend at the last minute? (even if there were no last minute cancelations or no shows?)

Not for Tastings, but for other things, my experience is that they will NOT "overbook" any activity (book more people than there are spots available.) My sister booked an excursion, and due to a glitch on DCL's end she didn't get a confirmation, and then it was sold out, and still they would not give her an extra spot. I have read other people here having similar experiences. Overbooking can create big problems (think airline seats) and isn't fair to others either.

However, she did eventually get the spots she wanted as drop outs are common. The DCL member called her back a few days later and told her she was all set now.

Also, the tastings available online aren't the only ones that there will be. When you get on board there will likely be additional options that you can book. So you are likely to have it work out for you.

You were quite wise to book the one remaining spot. That makes it that much easier now that you only need one spot instead of two.

The story we were told is that Royal Caribbean got fined because guests were preparing drinks and they are not licensed bartenders or food handlers so Disney is no longer allowing guests to mix their own drinks.

I don't know how long "a few weeks ago" is, but you got told a lie if it was more than a month ago. We mixed our own drinks less than a month ago on the Fantasy. I think on the Wonder it has more to do with inability to get to the back bar or the individual teacher not wanting people behind the bar and less to do with something that might have happened on a different cruise line. It's not beneath Disney to fib about things to make them seem more acceptable to their guests, though.

I don't know how long "a few weeks ago" is, but you got told a lie if it was more than a month ago. We mixed our own drinks less than a month ago on the Fantasy. I think on the Wonder it has more to do with inability to get to the back bar or the individual teacher not wanting people behind the bar and less to do with something that might have happened on a different cruise line. It's not beneath Disney to fib about things to make them seem more acceptable to their guests, though.

Our sailing was November 10 and it was toward the end. Who knows.

it was our first cruise ever, we signed up for Mixology. It was very surprising in a good way! It was inside of Keys. Tables were set with glasses and ingredients. They set up tables of 4 and 2. Fletcher was the speaker. He was entertaining and the drinks were all really delicious. Definitely eat first! LOL we don't drink very much so with that much booze in an hour, we were happy :) Had to take a snooze before dinner. We had a rum punch, a champagne cocktail, made our own blackberry Mojito which was the highlight. Then a raspberry margarita straight up, made from raspberry puree, yum. Last but not least a B53 which was his version of a B52. Bailey's Kalua and something floating on top. (last drink wasn't listening at that point ;).

We did a mixology class last week on the Fantasy and we were able to mix the drinks. We had 5 drinks each and there were 24 folks in the class. The bartenders asked for volunteers and they would come up behind the bar and mix the drinks. It was a fun experience that I would do again on our next cruise. We did our class in Skyline. We also had a champagne tasting that was conducted in Ooh La La. Both classes were organized through our FE group.

Are these mixology classes and tastings available to book before the cruise? I was looking at recent navigators and didn’t see any listed

I'm a first time cruiser and I'm looking forward to all the different kinds of tastings/classes. I was worried about them all being sold out since we book activities last, but I am signing up with members of my FB Cruise Page, so we should hopefully get a class.

I'm a first time cruiser and I'm looking forward to all the different kinds of tastings/classes. I was worried about them all being sold out since we book activities last, but I am signing up with members of my FB Cruise Page, so we should hopefully get a class.

When you do that, you'll get a private class. They're different than the public ones, with a completely different vibe since people on your cruise page get to know each other over time. They tend to be a bit more boisterous, and have been a lot of fun in my experience over the years.

Yes, when you are able to book activities they are an option.
If what you want is not available online, check the Navigator when you first board. They will list a location to sign up for the seminars. There may be additional ones available that were not included in the ones listed online. On our last cruise, which was supposed to be an Eastern Caribbean, we had booked several. When DCL changed to it a Western due to the damage in the US VI, they redid the itinerary and we ended up with two classes in the same afternoon. I looked online and there was nothing else available that appealed to us. Once onboard, we found that there was a mixology class on a different day, so was cancelled one of the two original ones and added that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter