Mistake you will not repeat next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, after a back injury that has taken several years to finally heal properly... I will NEVER take for granted the ability to walk all day, ride rollercoasters, and sit on bench seats without pain. :thumbsup2

I feel you...I'm recovering from a bulging disc in my back and foot surgery and it's SO wonderful to be able to walk and yeah, I think about all the time I took it for granted!

Ok - I haven't been to WDW yet...we're going Jan. '14, but one thing I won't do is not be physically in shape for it. People have said you may walk an average of 8-10 miles (or more) a day, so I'll be training to be able to do that comfortably several days in a row. And I've scheduled three park days in a row, then one rest day, then two park days.

I learned this from last years' trip to Washington, D.C. I wasn't in shape because of the physical problems but had to use a round-trip flight before it expired so...I went alone. And it was really amazing but I've never been so exhausted in my life...all the walking through museums and around the city and to monuments, etc. Believe me, I used the Metro as often as possible but was still completely beat and a couple days I went back to the hotel by 2 or 3pm. Lame. People try to tell you how GIGANTIC D.C. is but you can't wrap your head around it and then you get there and it's like "Uh-oh." So I'm told WDW is also huge so I'll be training for it! We don't plan to go nuts running around and we know we can't see even close to everything, but I don't want to let tiredness stop us.

We always rent a car for three reasons:

1) Several years ago it took over an hour to get picked up in the AM to get to TL and we missed rope drop. Started to take a taxi there.

2) We sometimes eat at other resorts and going from one resort to another is very timeconsuming.

3) We stay at the BC and have been very upset at Epcot openings because when the IG opens at the same time front gate you end up behind the entire front gates at Soarin'

Yes, they are all reasons for my original post, especially the resort to resort trips. There are more direct routes from Theme Parks to resort areas but if you want to go from one resort to the other you may end up stopping at 1,2,3 other resorts before you get to your destination.

In addition you have the freedom to leave Disney property when you want to go eat, stores, other parks ect...

I won't make any more character ADRs when we only have a short trip. We had four park days and spent way too much of our only Epcot day eating dinner at Garden Grill. The kids enjoyed the character interaction so it was worth doing once, but I don't want to do it again. It just took too long. If we want to see characters next time, we will hit that building in Epcot that includes lots of the main characters at once, which will probably take 1/4 the amount of time. (I might feel differently about character meals if I had daughters who wanted to see princesses or if we had a whole week at the parks!)

1971DBday said:
This is our family tradition!!!! After 10 trips to WDW (7 with all three kids) I think we have about 60 ornaments!!!! However when my kids leave the nest their ornaments will go with them to start their own tree!

I love that! So cute. I went twice as a kid and once with a friend, but last year was my first trip with my fiance so I wish I would've thought of it. We'll just have to start in 2013!

Doing Fantasmic, because we enjoyed the other attractions so much more, and the crush to get out was just too much. Next time we'll go do the other attractions when the lines are (hopefully) shorter because everyone is watching the show.

Missing out on Wishes because we did not spend one evening at MK :sad2:

Passing up Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom till the last day (My DH kept seeing the sign "Volunteers Wanted" and he really wanted to know what it was...I kept dragging him by until he finally convinced me on the last day. We both enjoyed it, and when we found out we had missed out on the free packs, well, I was in the doghouse :headache: )

Taking a Red Eye flight from the West Coast.

We thought it would help us make the most of our time. In actuality it made us exhausted throughout our trip.

:faint:

Plaid Princess said:
Taking a Red Eye flight from the West Coast.

We thought it would help us make the most of our time. In actuality it made us exhausted throughout our trip.

:faint:

This!! Won't do that again!

I've got one I've told in the dis before but it's been years. I still haven't lived this one down with my family. Lol. Kinda a long story. But hilarious.

We were at AK and rode Kali River Rapids and I got soaked to the bone. I was wearing jeans shorts and walking around I got the insides of my upper thighs very very chaffed. Omg it was the worst.

Well, we had already bought tickets to the extra hours at MK that night (cant remember what it was called?? Like emh but you paid like $15 a ticket). Anyway I was trying to figure out what to put on my thighs so I could walk without looking like I'd ridden a horse all day! Even long shorts my thighs still rubbed. Band aids weren't big enough because it was a big sore area. Then I got an idea.

I took full sheets of moleskin and put them on each thigh where they rubbed. It felt great and I felt so smart for thinking if it. I could walk without it hurting!! Off to MK we go where we're going to stay till 2am!

We get there, have dinner at LTT, ride a few rides and I start getting sweaty. Parade time so we sit on the curb and see the parade and fireworks. It's then that I notice things didn't feel right down there. I stand up and feel pulling..... Blush. Like hair pulling. Omg

I go to the bathroom beside pecos bills to see what kind of situation my situation was in. I get on the stall and pull my shorts down. The edges of the moleskin had rolled and my undies and, yes hair was all stuck in it. Somehow it was all just wadded up together along the top edge but still sticking to my thighs. I didn't know what to do. I wanted scissor but I was in pecos bill bathroom and no scissors. I decided to pull the moleskin off.

When I pulled it off it took off ALL MY SKIN. It was red raw meat on both sides!!!! I could see skin in the moleskin!! Now I really couldn't walk!!!

I had to leave my friend and DGD at MK and get the bus back to BWV.....walking like I'd ridden a horse all day! Lol. I was in so much pain. I got back to the villa and put a sheet between my legs and cried. Lol

The next morning my friend said she was going to the gift shop to get me something to wrap around it. She comes back up and said she couldn't find anything but she told the CM what happened and the CM offered to send someone up to help me.

So I'm sitting on the bed in the 1br waiting. Im naturally sitting with my legs spread because i cant close them. I hear the knock on the door in the LR area. I look up and there stands a gorgeous LIFEGUARD with a little bandaid!!! Lmao. Omg so embarrassed!! He takes one look at my thighs and said he didn't think he could help and practically ran over my DGD getting out of there!

I ended up having to call and rent an ECV for the rest of the trip. I got first aid at Epcot first aid station.

Beware of moleskin!!

"beware of moleskin"

Thanks for the tip!
My mascara is now running from laughing so hard and I have 2 minutes to clock into work!

We were at AK and rode Kali River Rapids and I got soaked to the bone. I was wearing jeans shorts and walking around I got the insides of my upper thighs very very chaffed. Omg it was the worst.

Beware of moleskin. :rotfl2:

My BIL went with us our last trip, and it was so hot that he was chaffed from his um, man parts to his thigh from all the sweating. He was literally hobbling by the time we sat down to watch the parade and apparently had a blister in one particularly uncomfortable area. We had to locate some Monkey Butt powder so he could carry on the next day.

Beware of moleskin. :rotfl2:

My BIL went with us our last trip, and it was so hot that he was chaffed from his um, man parts to his thigh from all the sweating. He was literally hobbling by the time we sat down to watch the parade and apparently had a blister in one particularly uncomfortable area. We had to locate some Monkey Butt powder so he could carry on the next day.

:rotfl2: bless his heart! I feel his pain!

I should've added to my post that I've since discovered Body Glide and it works wonders!

I have eaten at chefs de France on two different occasions and I simply will not do that ever again. It was just ok, but definitely not worth the expense. I ate at Germany for the first time on our last trip and I would love to do that again someday!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am embarassed to say that after more trips to the World than I can count, I have never even heard of a Dole Whip, let alone ate one! Oh the humanity!!!!!!:eek::crazy2: In fact, I never even heard of it before I hit the DIS last year. Maybe because I don't spend a lot of time at the MK (the DH hates it and we tend to stick to a more "adult" Mouse trip). Someone PLEASE save me from my Dole Whip ignorance!!!!:worship:

I used to be a Cast Member and I had never tried one until I started reading the Dis Boards! I was not impressed. I won't have another.

Wow. Obviously I need to purchase some Body Glide before our trip in July. Where do they sell it??

I feel you...I'm recovering from a bulging disc in my back and foot surgery and it's SO wonderful to be able to walk and yeah, I think about all the time I took it for granted!

Ok - I haven't been to WDW yet...we're going Jan. '14, but one thing I won't do is not be physically in shape for it. People have said you may walk an average of 8-10 miles (or more) a day, so I'll be training to be able to do that comfortably several days in a row. And I've scheduled three park days in a row, then one rest day, then two park days.

I learned this from last years' trip to Washington, D.C. I wasn't in shape because of the physical problems but had to use a round-trip flight before it expired so...I went alone. And it was really amazing but I've never been so exhausted in my life...all the walking through museums and around the city and to monuments, etc. Believe me, I used the Metro as often as possible but was still completely beat and a couple days I went back to the hotel by 2 or 3pm. Lame. People try to tell you how GIGANTIC D.C. is but you can't wrap your head around it and then you get there and it's like "Uh-oh." So I'm told WDW is also huge so I'll be training for it! We don't plan to go nuts running around and we know we can't see even close to everything, but I don't want to let tiredness stop us.

You are absolutely right on with this. I sort of did this by accident when we went on our week-long trip in 2010. I had gained a little weight & my shorts were getting a little snug. I was too cheap to go out and buy new shorts, so I hit the Wii Fit in advance of our trip, mainly doing the "Free Run" when I watched TV. Not only did my shorts fit by the time we left, but I had the added advantage of being in shape enough to handle walking around all day. I already have plans to start Wii Fit-ing in July before our October trip. Another hint: buy walking shoes and break them in before you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter