Mistake you will not repeat next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest mistake last time was overplanning our arrival day.

We were staying at the Poly (for the first time), and I realize now that I would have enjoyed that day a lot better if we had just planned to relax and hang out at the resort (instead of trying to do a whole bunch of other stuff).

One mistake I remember the most was driving through the MK gates just as my 2 year old son started throwing up in the back seat. We pulled into the gas station, changed his clothes, cleaned the car seat, checked for a fever. He seemed fine. We figured we would take it easy and continued on towards the MK. Well on the monorail he threw up all over me. Luckily we were the only people in the train car. Needless to say we headed back to the car, but only after we had to switch trains because the one we were on needed repairs. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking. We should have just immediately gone back to the hotel.

One mistake I remember the most was driving through the MK gates just as my 2 year old son started throwing up in the back seat. We pulled into the gas station, changed his clothes, cleaned the car seat, checked for a fever. He seemed fine. We figured we would take it easy and continued on towards the MK. Well on the monorail he threw up all over me. Luckily we were the only people in the train car. Needless to say we headed back to the car, but only after we had to switch trains because the one we were on needed repairs. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking. We should have just immediately gone back to the hotel.

Kids are so resilient though...you never know when they are going to bounce right back and when they are down for the count.

mesaboy2 said:
Next time may I recommend taking the direct bus from AK to Epcot?

Well you need to work for them, bc they told us we had to go to the TTC and there were two buses of people waiting for that.

I will not make ADRs for day of arrival again. It made the trip south very stressful. I also will not pass on meeting Gaston. I still regret not meeting him.

I went to WDW in November 2012 and I plan to return in November 2013. Here are some mistakes I will NOT repeat on my next trip:

-Having a very annoying person accompany me on the trip
-Staying at a Moderate resort (Nothing bad about them, but I’d just prefer a deluxe resort next time- namely The Wilderness Lodge)
-Carrying too large of a purse around the parks (it did fit on all the rides, but it just got annoying)
-Entering the World Showcase in Epcot to the left and walking ALL THE WAY AROUND IT to get to Japan when I could’ve gotten there a lot sooner by entering on the right or taking the ferry boat. It was an incredibly long walk (especially in the hot sun and when your legs are aching really badly) and I made this mistake TWICE during the same trip!
-Riding Space Mountain (horrible)
-Not riding Rock N Roller Coaster because I received advice that I probably wouldn’t like it if I didn’t like Space Mountain but based on other things I’ve since heard, that’s not necessarily the case.
-Not spending enough time at the Animal Kingdom (I didn’t get to see the tigers on the Pagani trail and lots of other things)
-Missing Illuminations at Epcot
-Not having enough pictures taken by PhotoPass photographers (they take great pictures and there’s no pressure to order them if you don’t want them, but better to just let them take the pictures and decide later if you want them)
-Eating at Teppan Edo (I’ve had much better hibachi outside of WDW)
-Eating at Yak & Yeti (just wasn’t impressed)
-Not buying a cinnamon & sugar pretzel at the popcorn stand in Epcot (I was never able to find a cinnamon & sugar pretzel at any other stand once I decided that I really did want one)
-I didn't bring any shorts because I thought it wouldn't be that hot, but one day it was and I only had jeans!

That’s all I can think of for now. :-)

I will never again ride Kali River Rapids while wearing shorts.

On our last trip, we rode Kali for the first time on our arrival day. I was the "lucky one" who took the full brunt of the water and walked away completely drenched. Walking around AK with soaking wet cotton shorts caused friction burns on my inner thighs (where the material bunched up from being wet).

I ended up with nasty "rub burns" on my inner thighs, to the point where they bled. It really did ruin our vacation because I was in so much pain trying to walk and all my shorts made it worse. I ended up wearing my 1 pair of yoga pants the rest of the trip in 90+ degree heat because it was the only thing that didn't seriously rub the sores. I tried aloe, mole skin (area was too large) and Body Glide. Nothing helped, the damage was already done (I ended up with nasty scabs a few days later).

Never again!!! Kali may be fun, but it's so not worth going through that again!

Is there a direct bus from AK to Epcot???

Yes, there is. :)

I didn't see it, and we even asked. They said we had to go to TTC regardless?

Well you need to work for them, bc they told us we had to go to the TTC and there were two buses of people waiting for that.

I keep waiting for the clarification that what was meant was AK Lodge, not park, because there are no park to park buses. Is that what you meant?

Yes, there are park to park buses (or at least that has been my experience - last trip last January) except from the Magic Kingdom, when you have to go to the TTC to get a bus to AK.

I keep waiting for the clarification that what was meant was AK Lodge, not park, because there are no park to park buses. Is that what you meant?

Yep park to park. We were told that was 'not possible' and pointed to the TTC bus. The Contemporary bus was arriving so we jumped on that, but that was a MISTAKE! Wouldnt have been, had the resort monorail not been down.

tjmj9801 said:

Good to learn your assumption was wrong here and not after the fact like the PP (who has my sympathy), I'd say. ;)

Defiantly make an itinerary and follow it. That was my mistake, it helps keep track of where your going next and places to eat at. Saves lots of time and confusion.
Have a great vacation (=

Good to learn your assumption was wrong here and not after the fact like the PP, I'd say. ;)

I guess you could say that. After all, I'd rather blush a little here where no one can see me than to go on a wild goose chase trying to park hop, wasting a ton of time going from park to resort to park. :thumbsup2

disn3ymomma212 said:
Defiantly make an itinerary and follow it. That was my mistake, it helps keep track of where your going next and places to eat at. Saves lots of time and confusion.
Have a great vacation (=

Agree that an itinerary is a must, but at the same time don't let them dictate your entire vacation. Weather, time of year, rides (or fastpass stations) down, etc. all have an impact on any trip and you have to be able to make revisions to an itinerary from time to time! Also, while easier said than done, don't let issues that pop up ruin your day or trip. Try to roll with them!

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

The biggest mistake I made was making ADRs too close together when we did the DxDP. I considered how we ate at home - breakfast at 7am, lunch around 12, dinner around 6 or 7, and made 2 ADRs per day accordingly. I guess I didn't consider how much food we'd be served, or how much the heat would make us not hungry, because we ended up canceling 4 ADRs last minute due to not being hungry. If we ever do DxDP again, we'd do a breakfast ADR and a later dinner ADR, with only snacks in between. I'd also only do DxDP during colder months. The last thing I wanted to do walking around in the September heat was sit down and eat a big hot meal.

I will not go with someone I can't trust 100% ever again. My last trip was completely ruined by a friend who, as it turned out, didn't really want to be there and wanted to be back home with the boyfriend instead of at WDW with me. Spent the whole time texting him. It was a disaster. The upcoming trip is with my mom, so I know we'll have a great time!

I used to feel like I had to do the parks from open till close. Now, we tend to go to the park of the day for a 4-5 hours then go back to the hotel for a couple hours. Enjoying an hour or two of mid day relax time really makes the last part of the day in a park so much better.

Good to learn your assumption was wrong here and not after the fact like the PP (who has my sympathy), I'd say. ;)

Yeah. Thats what we get for winging it our last day. :rotfl:

Originally we were going to eat bfast at 10 Kona, the to EPCOT, then over to AK and back to DTD for WPE for dinner.

BUT we stayed at MK the night before till 1 (had a blast) and after our breakfast went back to bed. Then we went to AK to see the Jingle Jungle Parade, and planned to go to EPCOT to do the pick a pearl when the issues started.

It all worked out, but still could have been better. I wanna find the CM who pointed to the TTC bus though. And tell him he needs to read the DIS. :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter