• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mission:Space

Just my .02 cents.

Please or please whatever you do-- DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES!

I went on Mission Space 2 weeks ago and was really excited. Once I got in my seat and that panel came inches from my face I started to freak out--I guess I might be a little claustophobic and never knew it. I thought if I closed my eyes it might help me calm down a bit, but I only made it worse. Unfortunately, I spent the next hour with my head between my legs at Innovations--thank goodness the kids had plenty to explore. So if you saw some poor soul sitting on a bench who looked like she was going to die, that was me. I did take some Tylenol and started to feel better. :o

G-gang - oh dear, you have my heart pounding just reading your post. I am determined to ride this, but am claustophobic. Does anyone know how long this ride actually lasts from beginning (when they close you in your pod) til the end when you're set free?? If I know how long, say 4 minutes, I can count the seconds and keep myself focused *hopefully* and keep the "panic" to a minimum.

It may last for 4 minutes but it really feels like an eternity when all you want to do is get OUT! Just remember to focus and keep your eyes straight ahead and you'll be just fine. Just in case have some Tylenol ready.;)

I too have been really excited about Mission:Space:p ....but.....I too have claustrophobic tendancies:rolleyes: .....AND my neighbor was there last week, and she threw up ON THE RIDE :eek: Now I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps some Dramamine or similar before we go? :confused:

Dramamine isn't such a bad idea. The entire time you are just spinning around and around and around--well you get the idea. The whole time I was waiting for it to be over --I prayed that I wouldn't puke on the other people. I feel for your neighbor--poor thing.

In my opinion, you can feel that you are moving, but I could not tell I was spinning. I get motion sickness if I read or watch a movie in the car or a plane. I did not get sick from M:S. The first time I rode it, I felt almost a bit drunk. But that wore off within a couple minutes. The next time, I felt no effects.

You just have to heed the advice.

Keep your head back, against the headrest.
Look directly forward, at the screen.
DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES. (You will then feel the spinning)
DO NOT LOOK LEFT OR RIGHT.

I like to add "relax" to the list. It is a great ride. But you will never enjoy it if you are too wrapped up in what it has done to other people. No one can predict what it can do to an individual at any given time.

Ted

Wow! Are you actually spinning for the entire 4 minutes???? Don't you ever reach "Mars" on this ride???? :confused:

Kimberly

You reach Mars within the last 30 seconds of the ride. That is basically when you stop.

At the beginning, you are on the "launch pad" and you "rotate" to look up at the sky. This is actually when you gradually ramp up to speed (spinning-wise). The launch itself is a less gradual increase in G-forces. This is when you would tend to feel the most effects of the ride. It lasts only a few seconds and it seems to level off. There are a couple other parts during your "trip" that the G-forces increase like this.

I find it sufficiently spaced out (no pun intended) between high G-forces (faster spinning) and less G-forces. It allows your body to recover from each high-G event.

It really is something everyone should try, at least once.

Head the warnings, don't drink a lot before you go, don't go after eating a lot (although some have and reported no issues), relax, and have FUN!

Ted

And for those of you who are claustrophobic, there is lovely cool air blowing on you--I imagine it helps lesson the feelings of being cooped up.

I went on MS basically 3 times in a row. After the 2nd time I felt a bit off, but a quick ride on TT straightened me out! No troubles at all on ride #1 or #3. DH probably could have ridden all day.

I think reactions to this attraction are hard to predict. You may have to ride it yourself just to know if it's a once in a lifetime event, or something you'll do over and over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter