Mission Space

PaulaSB12

DIS Veteran
I know they have to give all these warnings because of the ride and being sued because that child died after being on the ride (though after being on it I would have to say I would not let a 4 year old anywhere near it), but I felt anything more likely to make you be sick is these warnings. I thought I would be sick before I got on the rides because of the warnings, but I have now been on it 3 times and love it. Mind you I am still a roller coaster chicken though!!

I completely agree. I am very afraid of heights, so roller-coaster with long straight drops are not on my menu, but I loved Mission Space, and rode it 4 times on our trip. The first ride was on the green side, just because of all the warning signs, but then it was orange all the way.
My wife, however, got pretty queezy on her shot at the orange side. it passed in a few minutes, and she does have a history of motion sickness, but wanted to see if she could do it. So maybe the signs do serve a small function.

we're going in dec and im already trying to talk people in our party out of going on...cant help but be nervous..

dana1003 said:
we're going in dec and im already trying to talk people in our party out of going on...cant help but be nervous..

Why would you want to convey your phobias to others?? Can't they think for themselves?? JMHO :smooth:

It is nowhere near as bad as all the hype would have you believe. Not to belittle anyone's bad experiences, but I think that unless you are truely prone to motion sickness at the drop of a hat, you will not suffer any ill affects. There are no negitive g feelings, or feeings of true weightlessness. The only feeling of spinning I noticed was at the very begining, when it first starts, and only for a split second. From then on it is like Star Tours only with a few moments of being pushed pretty hard into your seats. It is intense, but you could always try the green side (no spinning, exactly like Star Tours) to get a feel for it.
While the push is longer on Mission Space, I think the launch of Rockin' Rollercoaster is a lot more intense.
I am becoming quite the fan of quick-launch rollercoasters. as long as they don't go too high or are in the dark. :cool1:

It was strange..I rode the orange side last year and had no ill effects. This year, I rode 2 times. The first time I rode green and a few hours later, I did the orange. I have to say, I think they upped the intensity of the orange side because I felt AWFUL during the ride(didn't get sick after, though) like my chest was caving in, especially during the liftoff. I actually have decided that in the future, I will stick to the green side. You still get a fun experience without feeling like you are imploding. It's weird though because last year, I had no problems with the ride and nothing has changed in the past year, healthwise, so I don't understand why it hit me so hard? :confused3 I also would not put a child on the orange side, but that would be a personal decision. I just think the G-forces are hard enough on some adults, never mind a kid. Just my 2 cents. I'm not prone to motion sickness either. I did Everest with no problem as well as ToT- maybe I was dehydrated?

My DH and DS went on the non-spinning side and said that I could have gone and and not feel ill.

My son rode every "wild" ride but the only ride that made him feel ill was Soarin'...and of course that was my favorite ride at Epcot!

I have rode both sides numerous times, and really just enjoy the experience. The spinning side I enjoy more and have never felt the slighest sick. BUT; this is going to sound crazy, and I'm almost embarrased to say, but the TEA CUPS make me ill. If the Tea Cups would start off spinning fast I would be fine, its that slow start that gets me, so I steer clear of those mighty tea cups. :confused3

On our first trip (2004), the morning we were going to Epcot, I decided to surprise everyone with breakfast. We got to the park and rode Mission Space first and needless to say, DH and I got a little queasy. The second time we went, just DH and DS rode it...we couldn't get our DD anywhere near it, so we sat out. It's an awesome ride, and everyone has to try it-at least once. I get more nauseous on Star Tours then I did on Mission Space. But make sure you don't eat a big meal before riding ;)

I must say I felt really dizzy after riding Mission Space.
It was the only ride in all 4 Disney parks I had problems with. I had to take a forced break after going to this ride.

I will try the gree one next time.

jctwizzer said:
Why would you want to convey your phobias to others?? Can't they think for themselves?? JMHO :smooth:
of course they can they're not idiots! and they dont know anything about disney since they havent gone in 15 years, not even about this ride or the deaths, so yes, i think it is appropriate to express my concern and i still have 2 months to talk them out of it.

dana1003 said:
... and i still have 2 months to talk them out of it.

Mission Space is still one of the safest places on the planet. More movie stars have passed away sitting on the toilet than tourist's have expired on Mission Space. Mission Space did not kill them. They died from pre-existing medical conditions. Although thier deaths were tragic, they were, sadly, going to happen.
You should at least let them try the green side.

This sounds cold, but in my opinion, should the icey grip of the afterlife draw my mortal coil, I could think of a lot of worse places to be.

I love Mission Space!! The people that died had heart problems. It's no worse than a lot of rides, it just got a bad wrap. Personally I think it's a lot of fun!! :thumbsup2

Jackmonkey said:
Mission Space is still one of the safest places on the planet. More movie stars have passed away sitting on the toilet than tourist's have expired on Mission Space. Mission Space did not kill them. They died from pre-existing medical conditions. Although thier deaths were tragic, they were, sadly, going to happen.
You should at least let them try the green side.

This sounds cold, but in my opinion, should the icey grip of the afterlife draw my mortal coil, I could think of a lot of worse places to be.
your right..i will let them know about the green side but 2 of them have heart conditions and would still not listen to the warnings..and maybe this sounds selfish too but we are traveling w/ children and if all the adults get sick from going on this ride and have to leave that leaves them back in the hotel room for the rest of the day so to me it s not worth it. there allot of other fun things to do and missing this ride wont make a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter