• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mission Space & Star Tours - will they make me puke?

When Mission Space first opened my sister worked as a CM there. She asked to transfer after a couple of weeks because she was cleaning up puke several times a day. Beware!

Wait...I was one of those people! :wave2: I can laugh now but I really thought I was going to lose it. And I have never felt that way before from a ride.

It took me 4 years to try the green side of Mission Space (I was afraid it might bring back bad memories), but I really liked it . I felt absolutley positively nothing during or after the ride! I even rode it twice it was so much more enjoyable.

I find it funny now but not when I rode. It was our first day of a 6 day trip and I think that was the first ride I rode. Went back to the resort after and spent the next day there as well. Last time we visited the kids rode but I did not -- when we left is when we saw several folks lying down trying to recover. ;)

As others have posted, Mission Space:Green doesn't spin/move. So that shouldn't be an issue at all.

I can do any rollercoaster - love Splash, Space Mountain, BTMRR, Expedition Everest.
Love Soarin.
Can't look at the Tea Cups. :sick:
Absolutely cannot do Star Tours. :sick:
I adore Philharmagic but have to close my eyes when Donald is flying through the town on Aladdins carpet.:sick:

I may muster up the strength to try Mission Space next trip (GREEN side only). ;)

I believe that that is how it is supposed to feel. You aren't supposed to notice the spinning at all; the spinning is done to simulate the feeling of going into space. You must have done it correctly, since you didn't notice the spin. :)

Okay, thanks! I really thought that you were supposed to feel the spinning and couldn't understand why I didn't. :)

I would not bother with orange side again. The green side was the same experience without the risks.

Love love love Mission Space Orange!!!!

It does not spin you like the teacups spins you. You do not feel the spinning. I feel the force in my face, my whole body is pressed against the seat, like if you were blasting off in to space. So very cool!

Green side was not great and I would never do it again. It does not have the same experience and was rather boring.

On the other hand, green side might be best for you

My brother and I both went on Mission Space: Orange, and while we didn't physically get sick, we weren't feeling great for a little while afterward. The Green version we had no problem with, and even took our dad on it with no issues. I was pretty impressed with how close to the orange version it was. I'm actually a little iffy with Star Tours. I do okay for most of it, but every once in awhile I'll close my eyes to give myself a break.

moopdog said:
How bad (motion-sickness-wise) are Star Tours and Mission Space?

I will not touch either with a 10 foot pole, but if my DH is willing to take my son on them.... I wonder which would be the milder of the two to try out? I cannot go around in circles (teacups, magic carpets, dumbo) but LOVE roller coasters, TOT, etc. DH is the opposite. So it should be him - not me- that takes the kids on these types of rides right. :thumbsup2

I have CRAZY bad motion sickness & I ride them both with my family WITH MY EYES CLOSED. I never get sick! :thumbsup:
Just make sure you ride Mission Space Green NOT Orange. Green doesn't spin. You still tilt back, but you don't really move. I can watch the launch but then I have to close my eyes. Of the dozens of times we've ridden, I've peeked at different times. I think I've probably seen most of it over the years, but play it safe and don't look after the launch - just relax and let the cool air blow in your face. It's actually a wonderful break!!!

I haven't ridden the new Star Tours, but closing my eyes worked on the old one. It jerks you around much more than MS! I have to hold on tight & I can't even peek on that one!!! But at least I get to ride with my family! :flower3:

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

I am a huge ride wimp! I won't try Mission Space so I cannot help you there, but I didn't find Star Tours to be bad at all.

I've only done Mission Space orange. At the time of our last trip I wasn't really susceptible to motion sickness and it did get to me a little bit, especially after we rode it twice in a row. This next trip I will definitely be taking something because I've developed a bit of Vertigo. I have not done the new Star Tours but I imagine the 3D will give people a little motion sickness if they get it with other rides. I would recommend some sort of motion sickness medication just to be on the safe side.

For me..

Star Tours: A hint of green, ends when you think a few more minutes will be blech. Ride it 4 more times in same day with DS Star Wars fanatic to see many combos, I did indeed feel queasy.

Mission Space: (before green version-I did full spin) I was amazed I didn't Ralph. Stumbled across park in a sweat. Felt like heat stroke. Luckily had lunch ADR in Mexico. Could sit in AC until I stopped reeling. Funny thing I recall ride as interesting. Will never do the high G spinning version again. You've been warned.

YMMV

I am susceptible to motion sickness so I use Scopalamine patches. They are an antihistamine patch that is worn behind the ear. I get a prescription from my doc before the trip. I put it on the day before flying out and don't take them off until about 3 days after I get back home. Each patch lasts about 3 days, so I replace them about 2 1/2 days into a patch. I can ride anything with them. Only problem is they really dry you out, so I drink a lot of water and chew gum all the time while there. Never done Mission:Space Orange, but I can ride the rollercoasters and the more intense rides. No problems with Star Tours, Everest, or anything for that matter.

It really depends on what your trigger is - I can do any coaster with no problems - but those screens kill me. I can ride maybe one per day - and then if I try another I will regret it. It doesn't really seem to matter how much they move - it's just the screen.

I just rode Mission Space Orange for the first time yesterday. Good grief it was awful! If it didn't end when it did I would have puked for sure. I had my eyes closed after the first 10 seconds (even though they say not to) which is the only way I made it through. I could barely walk straight when we got off.

My kids went right back on again while I sat in the shade, sipping water and feeling old.:rotfl2:

My mom gets motion sick very easily and was fine with the green side of MS and Star Tours too.

I rode MS orange and was worried because they talked so much about possibly getting sick and I remember seeing the throw up bags and thinking man this is going to be horrible. And I was fine. And I remember my friends and I were talking about it right after and how it was fine and how we were like surely no one really gets sick and by this time we were walking down the hallway leaving and then we smelled where obviously we were wrong with our assumption.

With that said, there is a ride at Disney that gets me sick and that's Primeval Whirl. That made me feel so dizzy and I had a hard time walking straight as I left the ride. Said I would never ride it again.

Since Mission Mars has a light and a heavy version, because it has that flexibility, Star Tours should do the same, also has some engineering flexibility. And I don't mean a tamer version of Star Tours. I'm kinda a little bored on it actually, as far as the motions are concerned. They should rig one of those vehicles with harnesses, set a little higher of a height restriction ("a little higher... a little higher!"), and really throw people around in there! Aggressively enough that if you didn't have the harness on you would go flying over the seats in front of you. That would be great.

Thanks to those who mentioned feeling claustrophobic. It would be a nightmare for my sister to get on that and not know. I get motion sickness too, and somwhere saw a suggestion to look down if you start feeling queasy on Star Wars. Has anyone tried that and have it work? Also, since I've never been, when you ride the Star Wars ride, or the Mission Space one too, are you on the ride with other people, or does everyone have there own vehicle?

Thanks to those who mentioned feeling claustrophobic. It would be a nightmare for my sister to get on that and not know. I get motion sickness too, and somwhere saw a suggestion to look down if you start feeling queasy on Star Wars. Has anyone tried that and have it work? Also, since I've never been, when you ride the Star Wars ride, or the Mission Space one too, are you on the ride with other people, or does everyone have there own vehicle?

I can say from personal experience that looking down on Star Tours DOES NOT help. I have never ridden MS but I can tell you that Star Tours is miserable and I have tried it 3 times over the years.

sunflowerfields said:

Each Star Tours simulator takes probably 40 or so people at a time, each Mission Soace vehicle holds 4.

I get sick on Dumbo and the Teacups. I get woozy on roller coasters.and I do suffer from migraines.

That said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mission Space: Orange. I don't take any motion sick pills, and I make sure that I've eaten an hour or two before and that I'm properly hydrated.

I stare straight ahead and breathe. I never close my eyes other than some blinking. And I concentrate on keeping my eyes straight ahead, otherwise I can feel my eyes wanting to go to the side while spinning.

After 5 trips to WDW and never going on it, I made myself try it once, knowing that I could get very sick. And I didn't.

And I love it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter