Mission:Space red & blue... explanation?

The blue side was invented to give a less strenuous ride experience in terms of motion and gravitational effects. The visual effects are the same. The ride mechanism is fundamentally the same.

The major physical effect is to simulate acceleration and deceleration of "your spacecraft". This is accomplished by a "centrifuge" mechanism where each of the ride vehicles is at the perimeter of a circle and everyone, seated, faces the circle center. In the blue version the vehicles remain stationary as opposed to revolve around the circle. Tilting back and forth still occurs.

For those of you who have ridden the "Round Up" ride at carnivals, the gravitational or centrifugal force is the same; everyone stands at the perimeter of a circle facing the center. In the case of Mission Space, the ride vehicles are enclosed so you do not see the surroundings circling around you.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

The 'orange' version is for the ride that includes the centrifuge. It is the more intense ride. The 'green' version is more like a simulator, but with very little actual movement. It also is not on a centrifuge, so there is no 'spinning'. It tips back and forth a bit, but that's the main extent of the movement. Other than that, they are the same theme.

It's green and orange! :happytv:

Anyway, orange is the original version. There is intense spinning which increases and decreases the amount of gravitational pull on your body, which alternately produces the physical effects of weightlessness as well as being pushed down into your seat (such as what we imagine happens during a rocket's lift-off). This spinning is combined with movement of the cabin (rocking, pitching), the video display and the audio to make you feel like you are lifting off from Earth and flying to and landing on Mars.

This intense spinning can make many people feel queasy ... like me!

The green version is identical to the orange version EXCEPT that there is no spinning. The cabin still moves a bit, and that plus the video display still makes it kinda feel like you're lifting off from a launching pad, but since there's NO SPINNING there's no effect on your inner ears and thus no queasiness produced. It is also less intense for people with some musculoskeletal and circulatory problems.

I love the Orange side. One of my favorite state fair rides is the gravatron...leave it up to Disney to up date that ride and make it 100000 times better :yay:

I'm glad someone asked this question, because I was wondering the same thing! Here's another question...are all the warnings still posted on the green side?

(The Gravatron is a circular rotating room something like ten feet across, with solid walls so you cannot see yourself spinning relative to the outside world. You can move about on the carpeted floor as opposed to being strapped into a seat at the perimeter.)

I'm glad someone asked this question, because I was wondering the same thing! Here's another question...are all the warnings still posted on the green side?

I was going to post this anyway so glad to help you.

The Orange side has every warning known to man.

The Green side has two - pregnancy and cloustrophobia. If you've ever seen the preshow for the Orange side, you can tell where they had to edit to remove the warnings.

Put it this way. I have a permenant broken neck. I ride the green side.

gravitron.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter