• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mission Space Accessible For Deaf?

RobinsonFamily

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We are looking forward to experiencing Mission Space this fall. Our 13-year-old daughter is deaf and loves thrill rides. I am curious if any deaf guests have tried it. I wonder how the role-playing aspect is communicated to the riders and whether the jobs duties can be understood through captions.

If no-one here knows, I'll email Mark Jones, the special services coordinator and ask him.

Tina

Not goig until August. Will let you know after I go. You might want to email Mark and ask him. Do it soon as he probably will be out of town for RID at the end of July.

Thanks, Lisa. I did go ahead and email Mark, but have not heard back yet.

We don't go until October. I hope you'll get to go on it in August and if so would love to hear what you think.

Tina

I'm sure that captions are possible during the pre-show. During the ride captions may not be possible, but the buttons blink when you are supposed to press them.

I heard back from Mark Jones. He says:
"Epcot's Mission: SPACE attraction will have video captioning throughout the experience including the preshow, pre-flight briefing, and capsule. The captioning system can be activated by Guests using either the video captioning Activator (remote control) or the Handheld Captioining receiver (which also has an Activator built in), both available through Guest Relations for a minimal deposit."

So, Steve you were right about them using captioning, but I guess they can caption the whole thing. Sounds great to me!

Let us know how you like it, Lisa.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Tina

Great. The handheld captioning system is the way to go. It does not activate the CC automatically, however, you must press the "CC" button on the HC device.

disney comes up trumps again for the deaf!!

not going again till 2005, but its nice that DS/DH have access to yet another ride.

Jules

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter