Missing Thai soccer boys and coach are found alive in cave, EVERYONE is out of the cave!

A CNN article today has a diagram showing the terrain of the main passage. From my uneducated POV, it looks like it might be possible to use boring equipment to bypass only the flooded areas so open a dry passage. Of course, the diagram doesn't show full distance scale, but perhaps Musk's company can open the passage enough to allow them to get out without diving. https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/06/asia/thai-cave-rescue-elon-musk-intl/index.html

If the kids can hear the outside world, sonar should let the outside world hear them and pinpoint the origin of the sound from outside; I'm sure that the Thai Navy is on that task already.

GMA said there are reports that the Thai authorities are thinking about possibly charging the coach with endangering the lives of the children, since it was his idea and he brought the kids to the caves. And now that the one rescue worker died.

But, the kids have said that there have been times they've gone into the caves by themselves, and NOT even told their parents where they were going. :headache:

I don't see how they could charge the coach. He didn't endanger them deliberately. It would be like if he brought them to a shopping mall and that place got flooded. He's the one who also kept them alive all that time, knowing which way to go deeper & higher into the cave. If the do charge him, I hope they also say his time trapped in the cave was time served.

More about the diver who died, personally.

He'd actually left the Navy, but came back to volunteer for the rescue efforts. The ultimate sacrifice. :angel:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385

"Petty Officer Saman Gunan lost consciousness on his way out of the Tham Luang cave complex, where he had been delivering supplies.

"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," said an official.

He was brought out by his dive buddy but could not be revived.

PO Saman Gunan had left the navy but returned to help the rescue operation.

Said to be an avid runner and cyclist, he was part of a massive rescue operation launched after the group found themselves stranded in the Tham Luang cave by flooding.

"Inside the cave is tough," Thai Seal commander Rear Adm Arpakorn Yookongkaew told reporters. "On the way back from setting up oxygen bottles, Petty Officer First Class Gunan passed out."

"His buddy tried to give him first aid, but he did not respond. We brought him to chamber three and gave him another round of first aid, but he remained unconscious. So we took him to the hospital."

But he said the search operation would go on.

"I can guarantee that we will not panic, we will not stop our mission, we will not let the sacrifice of our friend go to waste."

Around 1,000 people are involved in the rescue operations, including navy divers, military personnel and civilian volunteers.

PO Gunan's death has underscored the dangers behind the search efforts."

On a Thai Facebook page, either for the deceased Thai navy seal or for the rescue, they posted a message to the Thai navy seal, "Today you get some good rest. We will complete the mission for you. Hooyah Hooyah Hooyah." :sad1:

I haven't been following it that closely. Has there been any discussion about why they might not have used lines to get air into the cave, such as the kind that some divers use? That would simply pump atmospheric air through a hose. Something like this:

kelp-forest-image-lovely-diver-cleaning-the-kelp-forest-aquarium-at-monterey-bay-aquarium-of-kelp-forest-image.jpg

GMA said there are reports that the Thai authorities are thinking about possibly charging the coach with endangering the lives of the children, since it was his idea and he brought the kids to the caves...

I don't see how they could charge the coach. He didn't endanger them deliberately. It would be like if he brought them to a shopping mall and that place got flooded. He's the one who also kept them alive all that time, knowing which way to go deeper & higher into the cave. If the do charge him, I hope they also say his time trapped in the cave was time served.

Except that malls don't have signs that say, "DANGER, DO NOT ENTER".

Was he irresponsible? Probably. Is that a crime? I don't know. I know I've done stupid things, I was just very lucky I didn't get hurt or endanger others. I hate to judge him right now knowing he may not survive.

I don't see how they could charge the coach. He didn't endanger them deliberately

I dont know, depends on the laws in Thailand. Here he would be. I have to fill in a health and safety form for just about any activity o do woth the Scouts, campfires, outdoor cooking, rock climbing etc requires a detailed form of potential hazards and what our plan is to avoid them, and what our plan is if it happens. And I can be personally charged of any of the kids are injured.

I haven't been following it that closely. Has there been any discussion about why they might not have used lines to get air into the cave, such as the kind that some divers use? That would simply pump atmospheric air through a hose. Something like this:

kelp-forest-image-lovely-diver-cleaning-the-kelp-forest-aquarium-at-monterey-bay-aquarium-of-kelp-forest-image.jpg

I thought I had read somewhere that they are, and that the communication wiring will come k side this air tube.
Apparently fresh air is running out and it is important that they get oxygen in.

I haven't been following it that closely. Has there been any discussion about why they might not have used lines to get air into the cave, such as the kind that some divers use? That would simply pump atmospheric air through a hose.
As above - they're working on it. It's 2.5 miles to get to where they are and a difficult swim for divers. They're also working on a phone line so they can talk to their families. One of them was a little to short, I forget which one and I can't find it again now. They're bringing a lot of air (? Oxygen) cannisters in and the navy seals are depositing them along the route. They also think they may be getting some air from outside, but they don't know for sure, or where it may be coming from, exactly.

Except that malls don't have signs that say, "DANGER, DO NOT ENTER".

Does the entrance of the cave actually have a sign like that? From what I read (which isn't much,) the cave is well known there. There is a superstition about touching the back wall of the cave for good luck, which is why he took them there. The section where they were found is named, Pattaya Beach, as well as the 3 galleries above water. The cave was already mapped out previously. It's not like he took them to a secret cave. They actually live in a terrain with various caves. (The ABC reporter took us on a video tour of a cave 15 minutes away, so we could see the inside.) I wonder if signs were put up at all? Or was it generally known that going in caves may be dangerous.

Here in the U.S., we are such a litigious society that we've put signs on everything, including take out coffee cups warning that the contents may be very hot. I went mountain hiking several years ago on some well marked trails on private land. I was shocked that some of the trails winded very closely to cliff edges that one could easily fall off. There were no signs warning to stay away from the edge. It was expected for one to have some natural common sense when out in nature. They weren't going to put signage up on every dangerous section, otherwise there would be signs every 10 ft. People who need signs like that, need to stay off the mountain.

Likewise, I wonder if a sign was put up at the entrance, or if it's just considered part of their natural terrain and the Thai locals generally know to stay out of caves, and to use extreme caution when in one, like check the weather forecast ahead of time for when the caves may flood.

Last edited:
I dont know, depends on the laws in Thailand. Here he would be. I have to fill in a health and safety form for just about any activity o do woth the Scouts, campfires, outdoor cooking, rock climbing etc requires a detailed form of potential hazards and what our plan is to avoid them, and what our plan is if it happens. And I can be personally charged of any of the kids are injured.

:headache:

Apparently fresh air is running out and it is important that they get oxygen in.

Yes, I posted yesterday that they had it set up that oxygen was being pumped it, per what ABC had said. Apparently, they got the details wrong. It must have actually been that they were bringing in oxygen tanks to the other divers. That's what the deceased Thai navy seal had been doing when he died. :( The 2.5 miles to the section where the boys are must be too far and too narrow & twisty to successfully pipe/pump in fresh air. :(

Last edited:
Yes, I posted yesterday that they had it set up that oxygen was being pumped it, per what ABC had said. Apparently, they got the details wrong. It must have actually been that they were bringing in oxygen tanks to the other divers. That's what the deceased Thai navy seal had been doing when he died. :( The 2.5 miles to the section where the boys are must be too far and too narrow & twisty to successfully pipe/pump in fresh air. :(

The way others are describing it, it sounds like it's a pretty monumental task to get that long of a line that deep into the cave. I'm not sure they're necessarily rated for that kind of length or if it's practical to combine that many lines.

This is what I believe is the sign at the entrance of the cave, although it does say "July" and it was still June when they entered the cave. SOURCE

043432a35e27a17b2731f9e9c31ed33c.jpeg

It's probably been there already then and the coach definitely was warned there was some danger. With all this "climate change" that's been going on, it probably got rainier sooner this year. :headache:

Last edited:
It's probably been there already then and the coach definitely was warned there was some danger. With all this "climate change" that's been going on, it probably got rainier sooner this year. :headache:
I hope this coach doesn't try to blame climate change for his poor decision. Entering an area that is generally seen as very dangerous from July to November does not mean it's safe in late June.

I’ve been following this unimaginable situation as well. Trying to teach SCUBA skills to people who aren’t really swimmers sounds near impossible. I know volunteers are placing air tanks at staging points for both themselves and a potential rescue, but these boys would go through air so incredibly fast due to inexperience and the stress of the situation. It is just unfathomable and I don’t like to think of the outcome. I hope they find a drilling solution, and fast, but time is obviously not on their side due to the forecast this weekend. DH is a divemaster, not certified up to rescue, but he just wants to get on a plane to go help. DS15 is SCUBA certified and DS11 starts his certification next week, so we have spent a lot of time talking about the technical aspects of diving those kids out of there. One thing that is encouraging is seeing the massive international effort to apply a solution to the situation. It truly is a humanitarian effort.

I’ve been following this unimaginable situation as well. Trying to teach SCUBA skills to people who aren’t really swimmers sounds near impossible. I know volunteers are placing air tanks at staging points for both themselves and a potential rescue, but these boys would go through air so incredibly fast due to inexperience and the stress of the situation.

I guess they're also trying to get in surface air lines. That could take care of the issue with running out of air.

I wish that the government would focus on getting everyone out instead of assigning blame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter