• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Missing school

Serenity1207

Earning My Ears
I really want to take a trip to WDW with my family during free dining, and I'm looking at two possible weeks to go. Either September 6-12 (this is the week of Labor Day), or September 27-October 3. I have two children: DS who is 13 and DD who is 2. Taking a trip during this time means that DS would miss a week of school. He will be in eighth grade. He does very well in school and is always in honors classes. My question is this:

DS start school August 24. If it were you, would you choose the first option (September 6-12)? This means that he would only miss 4 days as opposed to 5. But, he would also be missing that week only 2 weeks into school.

OR

Would you take him the second choice (September 27-October 3). He would miss 5 days of school, and he would be further into the school year.

Thanks for any input you have :)

I'm just not sure if it would be better for him to miss earlier when they probably still haven't gotten full force into their work. Or, to miss later when he's settled in a bit. I'm not too concerned about him catching up as he's very bright, gets straight A's, and never had a problem in school. Additionally, his school has tutoring in each class on a weekly basis so he can make his work up there.

What would you do? Assuming you're the type of parent who would take their child out of school for a vacation. I AM that kind of parent and believe that it's just as important for my kids to have, what I like to call "mental health" days, as it is for him to be in school :thumbsup2

I would go with the least amoung of days missed.

We don't take our kids out of school for vacations so I am not going to be the best person to ask though.

Is he still in school now? If yes, ask the teachers at the school. They'll help you plan and tell you when he'll miss less.

They're going to give you the spiel about not taking the kids out of school. Make sure you have a valid reason for taking them out at this time - can't afford to go at another time, vacations restrictions at work, health prevents travel to FL in summer, etc. Otherwise some school districts will penalize the child. We're taking our DSs out of school next week to go because between DH's work restrictions (can only take vaca between May 1 and Oct 1) and my heat related health problems we can't go to WDW in summer or the other school vacations. The teachers were understanding that we have valid reasons for taking them out and have been very cooperative about the whole thing. I think if we were just taking them out because it was convenient they'd be a little less cooperative.

I would also go with the week with the least amount of days missed. And I would also come up with a valid reason for the school. But don't use the health one for September...it's still super hot and humid in September at Disney! Mostly importantly, check the schools unexcused absence policy. At DD's school, they can only miss so many days before adminstratively failing.

I would let him miss one extra day and go during the later time. Mainly because it will be less crowded then as opposed to around Labor Day. I think he will have a more established relationship with his teachers a little later in the school year as well which will help in getting assignments made up. I have taken my kids out of school for a week two separate times (both to go to Disney). The first time was when my oldest was in 4th grade and we went the end of Sept/early October for free dining in 2006. We went in mid-December this past year and took my kids out again (6th grader, 3rd grader and Kindergartener). My 6th grader did have a lot of makeup work this last time but her teachers were wonderful about helping her get caught up. She did have to stay for after school tutorials one day. She is an excellent student in all honors classes and everything turned out fine. It was considered an excused absence as well (she is allowed 8 per semester so she didn't even have a problem there). Good communication on your part with the school and on your child's part with his teachers is key.

Aside from the school issues, we loved going in late Sept/early October. It was a *little* cooler then, the crowds were great, plus we were able to do Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. We had a great time!

Hope you have a fabulous trip whenever you go! :wizard:

Free dining starts August 16. Is it possible to go before school starts on the 24th... say the week from the 16th to the 23rd?

I have taken my kids out of school for a day or two for vacations, but not a whole week.

They go to a private school, so it's really my decision, not the school's. They are very understanding, and the kids can get their work ahead of time, or make it up.

That being said, at 13, they could be missing a lot of work. If it's just to save money and get the dining plan for free, I wouldn't do it. It sends a message to your son, that getting a deal is more important than your obligation to be in school.

I agree - can you go before school starts? I think August is usually not bad in Orlando. Or find a way to work the budget to spend the same - stay offsite or something? There are so many deals out there.

My son is in 6th grade, and I won't take him out any more for vacations. We have summer and Christmas (but we don't typically go anywhere over Christmas since it's flu season and someone is always sick).

Good luck with your decision. I don't want to sound like I'm judging, but I wouldn't pull kids out after middle school. If you do, have a great time!

My son is the same age as yours and we faced a similar choice. I opted for the beginning of the year - we're still not sure when school starts yet but if it starts early he'll miss the first day. Our other option was Nov (Jersey Week) but the airfare was too high.

Good luck!

Dd12 would refuse to go. She's in all honors classes, earns high honors on every report card, but would freak from all of the make up work. She stayed home from school yesterday (second time this year) because she's in a play, that had a brutal rehearsal schedule this week (3 - 10:30), and I wanted her to rest before opening night (last night). I couldn't believe she listened to me!

My children have missed the first day of school two years in a row (2007, 2008) It is always a half day and I am a teacher. I would move my vacation up a couple of day to the end of August and miss just one or two days. You can also leave on the Thursday before Labor day and then miss Thursday, Friday and Tuesday, just 3 days instead of 4. The first days of school are important for rules and such but easier to make up. In 2005, we went during the Religious holidays in October and Columbus day and, though we stayed 8 days, my children only missed 2 days of school! :thumbsup2

I'll answer this from a teacher's perspective.

At the very beginning of the year, there will be a lot going on - new procedures to learn, trying to get into a rhythm that will carry on all year, and reviewing what should already be known to ensure that the students are ready to move into new material. That would be a bad time to miss several days of school.

The flipside of this is what will be happening during the later time. Many states give high-stakes standarized tests in the fall. If these tests are being given during your planned trip, it would not be a good idea to miss these.

I would agree that, if possible, you should go before school starts, and if you must take your child out of school, speak to them first about the schedule.

If your child does miss school, make sure that you get as many of the missing assignments beforehand as possible so they can be done during the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter