• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Missing Olympic Posters?

Jonas Grumby

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>!<br><font color=bl
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but did anybody else notice that during the opening ceremonies last night, when they were showing a montage of posters from the past Olympic Games, both 1984 Los Angeles and 1996 Atlanta were not shown. They seemed to be the only ones that were singled out. Anyone have any idea why they were chosen to be omitted? :confused3

I'd swear they were there, at least the LA games

Well, I immediately noticed that Atlanta's was missing and I rewound to see if any others were missing and noticed that there was not one for Los Angeles either. I tried searching on Google to see if anyone else mentioned this, and there was a short write up in a local Atlanta paper. The writer of that article said that he wrote the Olympic committee and NBC to see if they had an explanation for the omission, and he was waiting for an answer. I know it may not seem like a huge deal, but it does seem like a slap in the face.

I seriously can't imagine paying enough attention to notice, nor care. I guess I'm just not enough of an Olympiaholic?;)

But hey, since we are talking missing...why are the Olympians murdered in Munich NEVER HONORED?

Why are they never noted? included? mentioned? in the opening ceremonies?

But hey, since we are talking missing...why are the Olympians murdered in Munich NEVER HONORED?

Why are they never noted? included? mentioned? in the opening ceremonies?

i read someplace they were honored but nbc cut out that 5 minutes.

but ,, who knows if that report was true.

I seriously can't imagine paying enough attention to notice, nor care. I guess I'm just not enough of an Olympiaholic?;)

Well, since I am from Atlanta, I was looking for it. When I noticed it wasn't there, I became curious to find out if it was just Atlanta that had been omitted and that's when I saw that they did not include LA either. Like I said before, It's not a huge deal, but it does make me wonder why they were not included in the montage.

Well, since I am from Atlanta, I was looking for it. When I noticed it wasn't there, I became curious to find out if it was just Atlanta that had been omitted and that's when I saw that they did not include LA either. Like I said before, It's not a huge deal, but it does make me wonder why they were not included in the montage.

Ah, now that makes sense. If I lived in a city where the Olympics had been held, I'd probably look for it too.

Also an Atlantan and I noticed, too. From what I have read elsewhere, people are considering it a direct snub. The reasons vary but for the majority of people's opinions, it was because Atlanta (and L.A.) was not staged by the government and instead by the private sector. Here's a link to one of the articles I read today (most everything else was on Social Media platforms): http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2012/07/28/atlanta-la-snubbed-during-london-olympics-opening-ceremony-montage

I personally would like to know the answer. It may not have been the best Olympics ever and was marred with some serious issues, but it was OURS and not a lot of cities in the world have had that privilege and honor to host.
You can't just erase it like it never happened.

Also an Atlantan and I noticed, too. From what I have read elsewhere, people are considering it a direct snub. The reasons vary but for the majority of people's opinions, it was because Atlanta (and L.A.) was not staged by the government and instead by the private sector. Here's a link to one of the articles I read today (most everything else was on Social Media platforms): http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2012/07/28/atlanta-la-snubbed-during-london-olympics-opening-ceremony-montage

I personally would like to know the answer. It may not have been the best Olympics ever and was marred with some serious issues, but it was OURS and not a lot of cities in the world have had that privilege and honor to host.
You can't just erase it like it never happened.

Yes, that was the article I saw too, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. And I went to many events during the '96 games and had a wonderful time.

Yes, that was the article I saw too, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. And I went to many events during the '96 games and had a wonderful time.

Same here. I loved it. Loved walking around Centennial Park and mingling with others from around the world; loved, LOVED watching the Dream Team play, that was probably my favorite event we attended, and the most expensive, too, but I thought it was a once in a life-time opportunity. I hit as many events as my broke butt could afford. Still have some souvenirs, including a silly stuffed Izzy and an Olympic Swatch watch. Worth nothing now but good memories. :goodvibes

I'm surprised our NBC affiliate news station (11Alive) didn't make the lack of the Atlanta poster their headlining news for the past 24 hours. :rolleyes: I'm sure Monday morning all the radio shows will be talking about it.

Same here. I loved it. Loved walking around Centennial Park and mingling with others from around the world; loved, LOVED watching the Dream Team play, that was probably my favorite event we attended, and the most expensive, too, but I thought it was a once in a life-time opportunity. I hit as many events as my broke butt could afford. Still have some souvenirs, including a silly stuffed Izzy and an Olympic Swatch watch. Worth nothing now but good memories. :goodvibes

I'm surprised our NBC affiliate news station (11Alive) didn't make the lack of the Atlanta poster their headlining news for the past 24 hours. :rolleyes: I'm sure Monday morning all the radio shows will be talking about it.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that none of the Atlanta news stations were talking about. But you're right, I'm sure all the morning shows will talk about it.

I also loved going to Centennial Park. We were there when Grant Hill walked by one day and everybody started to notice and ran over to say hello to him, it was a mob scene! We had a fantastic time while the Olympics were here!:banana:

After rejecting repeated requests from the victims' families and world leaders, including President Obama and the Australian, Canadian, German and Italian parliaments, for a minute of silence at the opening ceremony in London, there was a commemoration of the victims of the 2005 terror attacks in London.

"We mourn all those slain at the hands of terrorists, and were profoundly saddened by the barbaric bombings in London on July 7th seven years ago," said AJC Executive Director David Harris. "We fully support the desire to remember these deadly assaults."

"At the same time, the 1972 attack was on Olympics participants. It took place in the Olympic Village during the games themselves. The requested moment of silence was to honor not only the Israelis, but also the very sanctity of the Olympic movement."

IOC President Jacque Rogge repeatedly turned down the requests for honoring the fallen Israelis, saying that such a moment of silence would not be appropriate and, misleadingly, had no precedent.

Indeed, there have been observances in past Olympics, including in 2002 to honor the victims of 9/11 and now of 7/7.

"The 40th anniversary of the Munich Olympics was the perfect opportunity for the IOC to publicly remember, for 60 seconds and in silence, the 11 Israelis," said Harris. "Regrettably, the IOC has spoken loudly and consistently for four decades -- the murder of 11 Israeli Olympians is best ignored, if not forgotten."

SOURCE American Jewish Committee
http://news.yahoo.com/moment-silence-london-olympics-opening-ignores-israeli-victims-125500307.html

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but did anybody else notice that during the opening ceremonies last night, when they were showing a montage of posters from the past Olympic Games, both 1984 Los Angeles and 1996 Atlanta were not shown. They seemed to be the only ones that were singled out. Anyone have any idea why they were chosen to be omitted? :confused3

Did they show winter posters or just summer?

Maybe the '84 was because of the boycott and the Atl. because the games were so roundly criticized? Which is what made me wonder about winter because was Moscow there for that boycott and because Salt Lake was like, even worse - I remember that being embarassing how bad they were (I more watch winter). The Atl I remember the whole Coke controversy (and the bombing).

One of those was the one that was so awful the IIOC pres refused to say the best olympics ever or whatever he always says. So... I'd think thoe were why?

Can't believe NBC cut the 7/7 tribute, or that Rogge refused to allow a Munich one.

This crap is one of the reasons I have little to no interest in the Olympics any more.

The snubbing of the US games is bad enough, but it's unconscionable that the slain athletes are being swept under the rug like so much dust.

Don't honor OLYMPIC athletes slain at the OLYMPICS for fear of offending the mindset that led to their slaughter? Yeah, that's the Olympic spirit for ya.

This crap is one of the reasons I have little to no interest in the Olympics any more.

The snubbing of the US games is bad enough, but it's unconscionable that the slain athletes are being swept under the rug like so much dust.

Don't honor OLYMPIC athletes slain at the OLYMPICS for fear of offending the mindset that led to their slaughter? Yeah, that's the Olympic spirit for ya.

Not to mark the anniversary of the executions of athletes at the games is inexcusable. They should be honored every time, a collection of the civilized world saying, no, not appropriate & we all stand against that.

Missing games posters and not showing a tribute to the terrorist bombing victims on TV don't even merit, although both are decisions worthy of questions. At least those victims were officially recognized at the ceremony, but I guess that was okay w/ Olympic officials because they were tangential victims of timing, not victims at the Olympics themselves.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/25/sports/la-sp-oly-plaschke-20120726

No, apparently people are worried more about offending the Palestines, you know the country the murderers hailed from, rather than the honoring of those murdered.

Goodness knows we'd hate to hurt the feelings of the Palestinians. Let's just sweep those murders.....of Olypmic athletes at the Olympic Village....under the rug and forget about it. :headache:

I shudder to think how that decision made the families of the VICTIMS feel.

i read someplace they were honored but nbc cut out that 5 minutes.

but ,, who knows if that report was true.

They were not honored at the opening ceremonies despite requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter