Missed the Boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMouse Family

Earning My Ears
We've been on vacation at beautiful Traverse City, MI the past several days, so pardon me if this has been addressed before...

I was wondering if anyone felt "misled" by the Member Cruise "teaser" mailer that was sent out several weeks ago. Obviously they wanted all of us to call in. With a degree in Advertising, I just had to call in to see what the "great deal" was all about. (The lack of pertinent information obviously meant that they wanted all of us to call--not sure what they accomplished other than tying up the phone line!)

I was on hold for about 25 minutes before I got through and was asked lots of questions. However, all that I wanted to know was the rate and why it was more special than when we've cruised in the past. I think that the member services rep must have had a long day (it was about 4 p.m. EST) because she said that the rate wasn't even discounted (in fact, it was MORE) and they didn't even know what the itinerary was yet. I felt like I would have been a fool for signing up (my DH would definitely have thought that I must be a Disney nut!).

Maybe Disney thinks that DVC members will sign up for anything. I know that some of you may take that wrong, but I REALLY feel that the whole thing was a "come on" to sell some unmoveable space during that time of year.

Did anyone else feel this way?

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

I agree with you. We would have loved to participate, but the failure of DVC to negotiate any kind of special rate with DCL precludes our participation. There are many here that seem very satisfied with the "special" offer, and think it will be a real treat. I'm sure they will have 25% more fun than if they would have paid the going rate.

I suspect that if DVCers continue to experience the HUGE point increases for the cruise option, many will eventually find themselves priced out. Then you will see a lot more negative comments posted.

It's just another example of Disney viewing DVCers (and their spending habits) as drunken sailors. ;)

Johnnie

While I agree with you on the value, I doubt it was done just to sell some tickets. Personally, I don't see the regular price as reasonable so obviously this "special" price is a sore spot with me. I suspect the extra cost is to pay for the other things going on such as giveaways and the like as well as the hassle to reserve the entire boat. I too wonder if there were people who had to be rescheduled who were not DVC members ands what the cost was to do so.

I promptly threw the ad in the circular file, because I am not much of a "cruise" person.

We were ready to sail on the DVC special until we found out they would actually charge extra for the honor!

We could not justify paying extra on an incovenient week for our family so will not go.

We were surprised to see so many people signing up the first day-- I had hoped boycotting the "special" would have provided true DVC specials in the future.

Linda

I thought there was an itinerary, and it was two days at Castaway instead of a stop at Nassau or Freeport. That may be why the price is higher, and in fact is more appealing to me.

Here's a view from the other side. Yes, I was disappointed when I found out that the points were higher than the regular cruise during the value season. After some time to think about it I found that it did make sense to a point. Yes they had to commit to take over the whole ship. Since I believe DVC and DCL are two separate companies (both under the Disney umbrella) they have to make it profitable for both of them.

DVC had to staff up on Saturday to take all the calls. They were swamped but I've heard nothing but great reports on castmembers being helpful and nice to everyone. Yes, there are sure to be special giveaways and those have to be paid for somehow and better that the cruisers pay for them than the general DVC membership. Also if this cruise was going to be a day at Sea I would think it would cost more to dock again at Castaway Cay they stay at Sea (the shut down/start up as well as needing everyone on the island). I think the one point people made that they are going to rake in so much more money because people are trapped on the island is a wash since if it was a day at sea those same people would be drinking at the bars on the ship and shopping in those shops.

So what made it worth it for us. 2 days at Castaway Cay was a big draw...I love it there. The chance to cruise with DVC members especially those from these boards is a big plus. It isn't something that has happened before so is new.

The wonderful thing about DVC is each person can use their points as they see fit. We chose (as did many others) to use our points for the cruise. To those who choose not to that's great as well. I'm sure you'll put your points to great use doing something you want.

Bottom line - enjoy with DVC!

The original post from McMouse expresses dissatisfaction with Disney for the "special" offer that seems to be anything but special. I think that's a valid point.

And while I agree that the cruise was not a good value for my family, I see no reason to throw stones at those who choose to participate in the cruise.

There are many here that seem very satisfied with the "special" offer, and think it will be a real treat. I'm sure they will have 25% more fun than if they would have paid the going rate.

To me, Disney offered up a cruise and set a price. We can take it or leave it. Why chastise those who decided that this was worthwhile for them? It's their money and they should not be made to feel that their priorities are misguided.

There are plenty who think the entire DVC concept is a big Disney rip-off....("why pay so much for rooms when you can stay off-site in a motel for $49...after all it's just a place to sleep"). Again, as DVCers we have made a decision that something is important to us, and most are pretty happy with that decision.

If we're upset, let's keep the focus on the ones who set the rules (Disney), not those who choose to participate.

we see no reason to be upset or complain about the cruise offer. We bought a timeshare at WDW; we got a realy good timeshare at WDW. Anything beyond that is gravy; and optional. All the exchange offers, including the cruise ( and the other WDW resorts) have a premium. For two of us, the premium on the cruise amounts to about two days in a studio. Having been to Castaway Cay, we think the premium is nominal. And, since our DVC is paid for, there is no cash outlay. Gee, a prepaid vacation--which is what we bought in the first place.... :smooth:

:p
As Disney Vacation Club Members we are free to trade out to lots of vacation experiences! Some of these may not be a good value, some may. Who's to say? Why is DVC at fault for offering this? You can choose to go or not. I think this members only cruise will be a blast! I don't believe this is a corporate plot against members.

I view the "special" part as having two days at Castaway Cay, having the vast majority of the people on the cruise being fellow DVC members, and whatever added member giveaways are included, if any.

Yes - it would have been nice if there were also a cost discount to the normal Value Season cost, but that's not the only thing that would make the cruise "special".

We bought our DVC membership to have the prepaid points to use AT the DVC resorts. For us, anything beyond that such as cruise, exchange, pins, etc. is just a great opportunity that we can use or pass. We don't feel it's a rip off, but recognize that others may think differently.

I think whoever is going on this cruise will have a "great time". Especially a cruise with all DVC members. The only reason we are not going is because we already had plans for OKW during President's week(Feb 14-20), plane tx are bought,etc.Plus my wife is a teacher and it would be very hard to explain a request for more time off in Feb.
I also view DVC as a pre paid vacation. And I do not hold any thing against my fellow DVC members who choose to take advantage of a "DVC Members" cruise.

Did anyone else feel this way?

NOT AT ALL! LOL.

The minute I heard about the cruise, I was ready to go on. I had heard about the first member cruise and it sounded wonderful! I can't believe the ship is going to be all DVC Members!

They sent out the post card, they had the point charts on the web site for a week before we were to call in, and if you called Member Services, they gave you the cash rate! Nothing was misleading to me!

Sure the points are up, but we were not charged the $75 fee that we are usually charged. And...I know there are going to be special things going on this cruise, based on what went on the last DVC Cruise. I'm so looking forward to this! It's going to be a great time, and not just because I have friends coming along!

I'm sure glad I didn't grip about the points, or I might not have booked the cruise! I canceled a week at Beach Club in a 2 bedroom to do this cruise....I'm so ready! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I think the problem is how you look at the word "special". Sometimes "special" means special discount and sometimes it means "the chef has gotten in some truffles and made a special dish that is higher than anything on the menu."

I hadn't thought about the people who don't frequent these boards and/or don't visit the member site often. They would not have received all the information that was posted there, including the rates. This could be why the phone calls took quite awhile.

It seems like many members were willing to pay a premium to try something different. Personal choice and nothing to criticize.

DVC was asked to put together a member cruise. They did. Maybe if enough members ask them to negotiate better cruise and WDW resort rates, they may do that as well.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those of us that took advantage of the S.S. Member Cruise got a really good deal! ie:

Category 11 - 88 points on the special cruise
Category 11 - 84 points in 2003 value season

$760/88 points = $8.63 value per point

$75/$8.63 = 8.69 points (cost avoidance)

Two cruisers X 88 points = 176 - 8.69 = 167.31 points
Two cruisers X 84 points = 168 points

We saved 0.69 points (value) AND get two days at CC AND get to sail with ALL DVC Members!

It doesn't work out quite as positively with larger parties, but overall it is not bad. I'm glad they dropped the $75 fee...it really did make a difference!

Originally posted by Granny
If we're upset, let's keep the focus on the ones who set the rules (Disney), not those who choose to participate.

And I would have to say vice versa to those responding to a negative post. All posters should be welcome here without feeling the stigma of the scarlet "N" (negative).

Granny, I couldn't agree more. I think the major bone here is with Disney and their attitude toward DVCers. We bought to primarly use DVC resorts, but looked forward to an occasional trade out for the DCL, or the DC. Anyone who reviews their member book has seen how these exchanges have exponentially increased over the last two years. Can't wait for the new guide book....wonder how much points for DCL and DC have gone up this year....10, 20, 30%:rolleyes These types of point increases reduce the overall programs value for all...IMHO. People who may be considering a purchase, should know some of the programs downsides, and LARGE point increases for exchanges that fall under the "Disney umbrella" is a big downside :mad:

Personally, I couldn't care less how someone else spends their points. They can let them expire...I don't care. However, I would like to see the value of the overall program maintained. As long as DVCers keep swallowing these large point increases, Disney will keep shoveling them to us.

But that's just stinkin' thinkin':(

BTW, it was probably all the complaint calls about the cost of the "special cruise" that made DVC decide to drop that $75.00 fee. As I recall, they originally planned on charging that fee.

Since I believe DVC and DCL are two separate companies (both under the Disney umbrella) they have to make it profitable for both of them.
Actually, DVC itself cannot legally make a profit. While I know there are other forces at work here, I would think that having the boat sold out in a few days is a major cost savings to DCL.

As Disney Vacation Club Members we are free to trade out to lots of vacation experiences! Some of these may not be a good value, some may. Who's to say? Why is DVC at fault for offering this?
Actually I think we as members are to say. While I know those that go on the cruise will have a great time, a part of me is disappointed that so many people were willing to pay so much (cash or points) to do so.

While I am not thrilled with DVC for offering something not so special (in my opinion), I think Dean has a very good point that, for me, is the part that dissapoints more than anything:

While I know those that go on the cruise will have a great time, a part of me is disappointed that so many people were willing to pay so much (cash or points) to do so.

I really do not care what people do with their points. What I do care about is the message that DVC receives from us, as a group.
That we are a great cash cow. And that affects me, as a DVC member. We were very excited about this cruise, it would have been our first. But quite frankley, we are way too frugal to pay more for it than a regular cruise. After this, I doubt we will ever get anything worth booking thru DVC. I will go on a Disney cruise, but I will probably book it thru Expedia or something similar.

Boycott the cruise?? No, it really is a personal choice that everyone has to make for themselves.

Please understand that I truely hope that it is a wonderful cruise for all of the members that are going. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter