Missed Castaway Cay

XMom

DIS Veteran
Got a text yesterday from a friend that is on the 8 night cruise out of Galveston that they were unable to go to Castaway Cay. She was wondering if they might take them back and try again on another sea day. Does anyone know why they missed it and if they have a chance to go see it? The family is super sad....

Most likely severe winds, seas and current. Thus making docking unsafe.:scared1:

They have been known to go back another day, if conditions make it possible.:thumbsup2

AKK

They might try on another day - they've done it before. But if the sea conditions still don't allow docking, that's it.

When CC is missed, it means wind or sea conditions would not allow the ship to dock safely, in the captain's estimation.

I feel bad for them. Doing a cruise that stops at CC is a priority for our next cruise after having done 2 DCL cruises that didn't visit there. I've even thought of doing a double-dip just to increase the chances of making at least one stop at CC!

I sure hope they get another opportunity to stop there.

What a bummer! One of my friends in the neighborhood is on that cruise too. She was really looking forward to going to the island. I am hoping, hoping, hoping they get a second chance. :goodvibes

I just looked at the marine traffic website and it looks like the Magic is currently sailing towards Key West and away from CC. I would say it doesn't look good.......

It will depend on the the rest of their scheduled itinerary, as well as the CC schedule for other cruises. Only 1 ship will be docked at CC at a time, so if another cruise is scheduled there today it won't be possible to try again. Sorry to hear they missed it!

I just looked at the marine traffic website and it looks like the Magic is currently sailing towards Key West and away from CC. I would say it doesn't look good.......

That's too bad. I know they had a great time at Disney World yesterday. I wonder what their next port is?

I think the Wonder is at CC today, and I think the Magic is scheduled for Key West tomorrow & then will be back in Galveston on Saturday morning.

I think the Wonder is at CC today, and I think the Magic is scheduled for Key West tomorrow & then will be back in Galveston on Saturday morning.

That's the problem with trying to reschedule a missed CC day - with all 4 ships in/near the Bahamas, there just aren't that many holes in the schedule. Dream goes twice a week, Fantasy once, leaving only 4 days for the other two ships to fight over.

Nancy

I would think since it has to be back in Galveston that it would not go back...And since I am getting on the boat in Galveston on Saturday it better be here!! LOL !:)

There are very few itineraries that have the flexibility to allow a second shot at Castaway Cay. Usually if you hear of them doing this, it is on a 4 day Bahamas where they are staying in the same area and still have time to get to the next port. Most other cruises, they need the sailing time of their sea days to get from point A to point B and don't have time to hang out in the Bahamas area and still make it to point B on time. So, although CC can only handle one ship at a time, whether they can take a second shot to dock has less to do with the ships that are using Castaway Cay than the itinerary the ship is on.

I feel their pain. My wife and I did the Wonder western leg PC cruise and we missed CC because of strong winds. The captain made several attempts at docking but you could see the ship being pushed sideways (fast) as they were trying to dock.

We didn't have the opportunity to try another day but I know they will do it if time and weather allows.

I know the Fantasy missed Grand Cayman the other day due to rough waters. Apparently, the ship was really rockin'.

Sounds like some rough weather in that area this week.

- Dreams

I feel bad for them. Doing a cruise that stops at CC is a priority for our next cruise after having done 2 DCL cruises that didn't visit there. I've even thought of doing a double-dip just to increase the chances of making at least one stop at CC!

I sure hope they get another opportunity to stop there.

We just booked a double dip on the dream for November 2014. It's two days in a row so hopefully if we don't make it the first day, we can make it the second. Besides seeing the new ship it's Castaway Cay that is making us take that cruise.

I know the Fantasy missed Grand Cayman the other day due to rough waters. Apparently, the ship was really rockin'.

Sounds like some rough weather in that area this week.

- Dreams

We just got off the Dream Sunday and our ride home was ROUGH!!!! We were rocking and swaying the whole night.

Thankfully we made it to CC on Saturday. We had a couple hours to enjoy the island before the wind and rain came in.

Thats sad, I have tried to prepare myself for that possiblity. we booked Western caribbean interary A because it went to CC and Itin B did not. FIngers crossed.
Curious, What will they do instead of they cannot dock at Castaway cay?

Thats sad, I have tried to prepare myself for that possiblity. we booked Western caribbean interary A because it went to CC and Itin B did not. FIngers crossed.
Curious, What will they do instead of they cannot dock at Castaway cay?

They have extra activities onboard (an extra sea day).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter