Missed anything...?

MeeskaMooskaMickey

Mouseketeer
Hello! I am new to this forum and a Disney World virgin - long awaited first trip next month :):):)

Myself, husband & 2 children (ages 6 & 10) will be staying for 14 nights at FQ, our first 2 week hol ever so I want to make it as fantastic as possible for my lovely family.

I just need a bit of advice about any fun 'extra' activities, (ie. non-theme park, either on or off site) which are recommended by you experts! We have already planned to spend time at the disney waterparks and downtown disney, plus have reservations to dine at Ohana's and the Hoop de doo reveue. We have been to Disneyland Paris lots of times already and done lots of character meals, so we're not really looking to do those, and we don't want to spend money on other theme parks in Orlando.

Any suggestions greatfully received!!! x

Here's some things we've done and enjoyed. I have a DD9 and these are things she enjoys as well.
*Miniature golf at Winter Summerland. Its fun and kids eat up the theme.
*Rent a jet boat(s) and ride around Bay Lake
*Surrey bike rental around the Boardwalk (haven't done this yet but it looks like fun)
*Visit the Animal Kingdom lodge to look at animals.
*Ride the monorail from the TTC to Epcot
*Visit the Wilderness Lodge and campgrounds.
*Go horseback riding (at the campgrounds)

That's all I can think of right now.

In addition to the great suggestions by the PP, think about an evening at FW at the campfire and singalong with Chip and Dale (followed by the outdoor movie). And don't forget that there will be outdoor movies each night at your own resort.

If you are having dinner at Ohana, hopefully you will be able to watch Wishes from the Poly beach- everybody should do this at least once!

Since you are at POFQ, you are allowed to use the facilities over at POR. Your kids would probably love the Old Man Island pool.

And WELCOME TO THE DIS!!

On Waterpark and more tickets (assuming you have these since visit to waterpark is mentioned). Minigolf, the Oak Trail 9 hole course, ESPN, and Disneyquest are part of the ticket. I think one visit to a waterpark or one of these venues per each ticket day purchased and good for up to 14 days after first use.

There is also a Sunday Gospel brunch at The House of Blues that is very entertaining and out of the ordinary (in my opinion), but I can't remember the pricing.

Cheers!

Welcome to the DIS!:goodvibes

2 weeks at the Disney world :love: So jealous!

I would consider a few movie nights at different resorts so you can checkout the resort.

An evening on the Boardwalk.

An evening at Fort Wilderness for sure.

Splitsville bowling at DTD

I will keep trying to think of different things!

Hello! I am new to this forum and a Disney World virgin - long awaited first trip next month :):):)

Myself, husband & 2 children (ages 6 & 10) will be staying for 14 nights at FQ, our first 2 week hol ever so I want to make it as fantastic as possible for my lovely family.

I just need a bit of advice about any fun 'extra' activities, (ie. non-theme park, either on or off site) which are recommended by you experts! We have already planned to spend time at the disney waterparks and downtown disney, plus have reservations to dine at Ohana's and the Hoop de doo reveue. We have been to Disneyland Paris lots of times already and done lots of character meals, so we're not really looking to do those, and we don't want to spend money on other theme parks in Orlando.

Any suggestions greatfully received!!! x

Water parks are great. Don't spend much time at DTD. Enjoy the monorail.

Since you are staying at POFQ (my fav. moderate) you may want to take advantage of the boat that goes to Downtown Disney and Port Orleans Riverside. It's a fun ride! Also, I would suggest checking out Elliot Dyson at POFQ & Bob Jackson at POR for FREE and GREAT musical entertainment.

Agree with the posts stated. I know you said no Character meals, but eating in the castle is so magical. Also, I think you already know, but different than Paris, you are not going to be at a loss of things to do in the parks, even if to went to them every day. Everything is so different within the parks. We do 14 days when we go and spend 11 at the parks, and the rest doing what was already mentioned.

think about an evening at FW at the campfire and singalong with Chip and Dale (followed by the outdoor movie)

:thumbsup2 I second that!

We haven't stayed at the fort in many years, but I still go over for the campfire on occasion. It's a great time and they sell s'more kits, complete with stick, for a very reasonable price.

I plan to take my grandsons for the first time this year.

In my opinion, the perfect age for a first trip to WDW is 9. Others will disagree. I took my then 9YO and 10YO on an 8 day Disney trip a number of years ago and had them keep journals and take their own pictures. The trip influenced their actual real lives because they could remember and assimilate everything they saw at that age. Cater to the interests of your particular child and you may be surprised.

Best moments for DS9...Star Tours, the pool at the resort, the monorail, boats, anything involving transportation (cars, trains, buses, rides involving trains or flumes...you name it! (He is now studying firefighting with EMT and search and rescue). Funny, I do remember him being hugely interested in the behind the scenes issues...especially during the set up for Illuminations.

Best moments for DD10...Animation, characters, BTMR, talking to CMs, Animatronics and the artistry of just being there. (She is now in Grad School in CA working on a project for Pixar.)

Disney can change their lives in subtle or substantial ways at the right age and time. I know more than one child who became interested in engineering because maybe, the could be an imagineer.

Trust your gut on what your child will like but try to do as many things as you can. Unless you can get to Disney annually, this could be a big deal for their future.

But no pressure, all we did was introduce them to as much as we could, the rest, they decide.

Mom of four grownups:listen:

Don't miss the Electric Water Pageant on Seven Seas Lagoon! Starts every night at 9 at the Poly beach then visits GF, CR, WL and Ft. Wilderness (not necessarily in that order). Depending on timing of your meal at 'Ohana you might could see it then.

Yehaa Bob in the lounge at Port Orleans Riverside, Wednesday-Saturday nights starting at 8:30. Great family show and is a must do for us.

Thank you everyone - I'm overwhelmed by all the great suggestions!!

I am definitely going to do the campground/campfire, electric water pagent and the mini golf, and will hopefully be able to fit in lots of the other ideas too! It's great that there's lots of nice things to do and see around the resorts that you don't have to pay extra for! :thumbsup2

We certainly won't have a problem filling up the time!!! Can't wait, only 6 weeks to go!

Hi,

If you are looking for an extra special experience you might want to look at a fireworks cruise.

There is the Illuminations cruise and another one (sorry, drawing a blank on the name since I am reading DIS instead of sleeping LOL) that you might want to join (room for 10 on Illuminations) or reserve. It is $346 + tip so many people share.

Cheers!

Roehl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter