MiraCool ... cooling bandanas.. question?

CinRell

DIS Veteran
There was a thread a while back about these and I can't find it. Apparently some brands leak a gel and some are great. Which kind work best and don't leak? DBF works in a hot factory and I"d like to get him some of these.

Hi!
I don't know what thread it was on, but I remember reading about CoolDownz at QVC F8091, cooling neckties. Also check www.craftywench.com. That website also carries these. I'm thinking about getting these for my August trip. Hope this helps.
Joan

CinRell said:
There was a thread a while back about these and I can't find it. Apparently some brands leak a gel and some are great. Which kind work best and don't leak? DBF works in a hot factory and I"d like to get him some of these.
I don't know much about Mira Cool Wraps, but I just purchase three wraps for $9.99 on ebay delivery was very fast. Ebay seller is Shawna Brav visit her site she has an array of colors.:)

As I recall, someone on that thread mentioned that if you squeeze it too hard to get the excess water out, it could start seeping through. I bought mine off of QVC, they were 6 for about $22 including shipping.

If you can sew at all, they are VERY simple to make!

You can do a web search for instructions, or have one made for you by people who can sew.

I've made many of these - they're a breeze!

TravelinGal said:
If you can sew at all, they are VERY simple to make!

You can do a web search for instructions, or have one made for you by people who can sew.

I've made many of these - they're a breeze!

I guess I'm not very good at doing searches, I can't find a site with the sewing instructions? Do you know where I can find this at?

savs said:
I guess I'm not very good at doing searches, I can't find a site with the sewing instructions? Do you know where I can find this at?

I did a search for 'cool ties' and found a bunch of different instructions.

Many companies that sell polymer crystals (what you use to fill them) have directions on their site.

The best price I found for crystals is at http://www.watersorb.com/index.htm . 2 lbs is $15 including shipping. All the other companies wanted this much (or more!) PLUS shipping. 2 lbs will give you enough to make extras (sell at a garage sale or craft fair - or make some to send overseas to the troops!) You can also use it for 'smelly jelly' and, of course, for plants.

You want MEDIUM crystals for the cool ties. Power and small crystals will fall/seep out. Large crystals make the tie less flexible.

ETA - in case you're worried about patents etc...

Intellectual Property Rights for Cool Ties

Several individuals have claimed to have invented cool ties, and some have claimed various intellectual property rights including patents. A search of the United States Patent and Trademark Office www.uspto.gov indicates there are NO currently valid trademarks for “Cool Tie” or “Cool Ties”. Any claims otherwise are FALSE. A patent was issued for a cool tie in the late 1990’s, however this patent was issued almost ten years after Dan Wofford, Jr. and the US Cooperative Extension Agency published patterns and instructions regarding how to make cool ties and evaporative body coolers. Therefore, this patent will NOT stand up in court and was a waste of time, effort and money by the patent holder.

Robin,

Thanks for the link. I just order my polymer and when it comes I will be pulling out some old fabric to make a sample and see which pattern I like best.

My DS11 loves to sew so now I have a summer project for him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter