Minot, ND-What can you tell me?

Oh no! That's the one duty station everybody jokes about... "Well, at least it's not Minot!".

I don't have any advice on the subject but I'll send thoughts his way! I'm sure it's not as bad as everyone jokes about.

Housing is difficult at the moment, as it is overrun with oil workers who make a lot more money than the military members do and can afford to pay very high rent. I do not know what the on base situation is at the moment, but he should be able to find out.

I was raised there, but don't live there now. It has changed a lot in the past few years because of the oil and a recent flood.

I hope he has living quarters on base, because there is a shortage of housing. people are sleeping in their cars, I do not know about this winter though if those rumors are true. You can't even get a hotel room, those are being paid for by people that need to live and work there. My dh had to drive down into Fargo to get a hotel room, when he had work up in Minot.

I can answer this in great detail as i've lived there my whole life.The housing situation is bleah. Housing is very expensive they are trying to keep up ,but rent is outreagous. A one bedroom apt can go for as high as 900.00 per month. You can sometimes get lucky though it just depends on what is wanted.

As far as weather the winters can be very harsh as far as cold and snow. Our snow is often measured in feet and it stays on the ground well into spring if snowpack is deep enough.In fact the past 2 days we have recieved about 2 inches, not unusual by anymeans though. The cold can be awful lows in the winter can be 35-40 below and thats not windchill. Have him make sure he is prepared , and make sure he gets a block heater on his car or it will never start in the winter. Summers are beautiful as is fall.

As far as things to do well... there isn't alot we have a zoo and great parks and a mall movie theaters not alot but enough to sufice i guess.

any other questions feel free to ask.

I can answer this in great detail as i've lived there my whole life.The housing situation is bleah. Housing is very expensive they are trying to keep up ,but rent is outreagous. A one bedroom apt can go for as high as 900.00 per month. You can sometimes get lucky though it just depends on what is wanted.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Reading about the housing situation I thought you were going to say an apartment is like $3,000 a month. Living here in San Diego, $900 for rent is a bargain!!!!!

I am curious as to whether or not they have adjusted BAH for the relative cost of living. OP, have your son chat with his contact in Minot regarding where he'll be living. They'll be able to help out regarding on-base vs. in town.

ETA: Not sure of his rank but you can look up what he'll make for BAH here if he does live off-base: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

As far as weather the winters can be very harsh as far as cold and snow. Our snow is often measured in feet and it stays on the ground well into spring if snowpack is deep enough.In fact the past 2 days we have recieved about 2 inches, not unusual by anymeans though. The cold can be awful lows in the winter can be 35-40 below and thats not windchill. Have him make sure he is prepared , and make sure he gets a block heater on his car or it will never start in the winter. Summers are beautiful as is fall.

As far as things to do well... there isn't alot we have a zoo and great parks and a mall movie theaters not alot but enough to sufice i guess.

any other questions feel free to ask.

I will agree with everything here as I have lived here my whole life also. It has changed a great deal in the past few years. We had a flood a few years back which led to a home shortage and the recent oil boom hasn't helped any. It seems to have gotten better in the past year.

Winters are long and VERY cold, but summers are nice. The economy is good here and there are alot of jobs which is another reason for the home shortage. People seem to be coming from everywhere to work.

It isn't as bad as some people say. I personally like it here.

It is not the same city at all :(

There has definitely been an increase in crime and definitely housing shortage. This happens wherever oil boom is though, just not a place we go to anymore.

It is not the same city at all :(

There has definitely been an increase in crime and definitely housing shortage. This happens wherever oil boom is though, just not a place we go to anymore.

That makes me sad. I was stationed in Minot from Feb 2007 til I retired in August 08. My girls loved the high school there and if it wasn't so dang cold we would have stayed another year...but I had a crappy work situation and my husband just couldn't get a decent job up there (he's IT).

Minot is FREEZING in the winter...it's insane how cold it is! We lived in Anchorage Alaksa for 5 years and it was way warmer than Minot. But the summers in North Dakota really are awesome and the people were all really nice. We didn't hate it and are glad we went...but we were also there pre flood and oil boom.

My dh had to drive down into Fargo to get a hotel room, when he had work up in Minot.

Why did he stay in Fargo and not in Grand Forks? That would have been over an hour closer. Just curious. Either way, it's quite a drive from either to Minot just for work.

Oh no! That's the one duty station everybody jokes about... "Well, at least it's not Minot!".

Or there's always the other saying, "Why not, Minot" I don't know a lot about Minot as I live in Grand Forks and have since my parents were stationed here when I was 4. Obviously they liked ND enough to stay here for almost 30 years. Like a lot of places, it's all what you make of it. Yes, the winters suck. I know they say you get used to it, but I am still miserable for a few months out of the year when it's really bad but you just carry on the best you can. There are things I would change if I could, but overall I'm happy to call ND home and we will be here until my son graduates from HS at least.

I once worked with a guy who spent some time in Minot. He called it "Mind Rot" No offense to anyone there, I've never been there. Good luck with the relocation.:)

My BIL (along with my sister and two nephews) was stationed at Minot during our last Disney trip a few years. In fact, he missed out on going with us due to all the flooding that happened and he was needed to stay on base. But they still talk about how much they miss Minot and it was their favorite place to live. They've been in SD, RI, NY, WY, MO, NB, ND and now he's in LA and they still prefer Minot. Winters had tons of snow and were cold of course, but the temperate summers really made up for it in their minds. I can't speak to housing as they lived on base, not a lot near by, trips made for shopping were a favorite lol, but they liked it there :)

Never been there, but as you can see through my avatar, I am conected with the USAF (Retiree).

That being said, Minot is generally the one assignment nobody wants, unless:

• Your son likes really cold winters/really hot summers
  • Your son likes "the small town atmosphere"
  • Your son is married/with family
I recall, several years ago, reading in Air Force Times that African-Americans particularly didn't care for Minot (and other bases in the "Northern Tier") as there wasn't a whole lot of off-base stuff (to include shopping for hair care products, etc.) geared towards A-As.

As with all assignments, it's what your son makes of it. If he decides it's not for him, volunteerting for a year in Korea will pretty much guarantee him a choice of his next duty station...

Never been there, but as you can see through my avatar, I am conected with the USAF (Retiree).

That being said, Minot is generally the one assignment nobody wants, unless:

• Your son likes really cold winters/really hot summers
  • Your son likes "the small town atmosphere"
  • Your son is married/with family
I recall, several years ago, reading in Air Force Times that African-Americans particularly didn't care for Minot (and other bases in the "Northern Tier") as there wasn't a whole lot of off-base stuff (to include shopping for hair care products, etc.) geared towards A-As.

As with all assignments, it's what your son makes of it. If he decides it's not for him, volunteerting for a year in Korea will pretty much guarantee him a choice of his next duty station...

Dangerous words lol. I know at least three separate families that decided to do a voluntary geobach to Korea in hopes of having control over their next assignment that really got burnt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter