• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Minor vent

notafan

Earning My Ears
Just found out that my brother and his family are going to DW. They haven't been before and we have. Thought they might ask our opinion on things to do or pointers but guess we don't know anything (serves them right if they get stuck eating the "wurst" at the Biergarten :rolleyes: ).Vent over... Happy for them, but DW and my family is a little down. They really love DW and wanted to get back and were hoping this year we could go it isn't going to happen. Hopefully the economy turns around and I can get them back down when things improve. Guess we are blessed to have been as many times as we have been.

Just found out that my brother and his family are going to DW. They haven't been before and we have. Thought they might ask our opinion on things to do or pointers but guess we don't know anything (serves them right if they get stuck eating the "wurst" at the Biergarten :rolleyes: ).Vent over... Happy for them, but DW and my family is a little down. They really love DW and wanted to get back and were hoping this year we could go it isn't going to happen. Hopefully the economy turns around and I can get them back down when things improve. Guess we are blessed to have been as many times as we have been.

Maybe they didn't want to rub it in, or make you feel bad by asking you all about disneyworld since you aren't going. :confused3 Why do you assume it's something negative?
Also your comment about it serves them right if they get stuck with something isn't very nice. You aren't the only source of information, you know...there is this thing called the disboards.........;)

Hope you will be able to plan a trip for your own family soon.

Sure, it's a bummer when other people get to go and you don't, but.... How does them not asking for pointers translate into you not knowing anything? Maybe they figure they'll get a map when they get inside and that's enough info for them? Alot of people really don't CARE where they eat.

I've been on the DIS for over 10 years and still can't bring myself to care where I eat at WDW!

Why would you wish them poorly on their first trip? Where did you get your info the first time you went? Sometimes people want advice and some first-timers want to wing it and explore and learn for themselves. Everyone is different.

I hope you and your family get to return to soon.

Not a big deal really. Just an ongoing thing about little brother thinking big brother doesn't know anything. After 40 years I don't expect it to change. And little brother would love all the wursts and the beer. Just not my thing.

Last year was my family's first trip to Disneyland and although I have a lot of friends in the San Diego area I never asked around for tips or anything, never even thought of it. It was a vacation for us, to explore, to have fun. We had a lot of fun. I would hate to think that any of my SD/California friends would be mad at me because I never thought to ask them for pointers.

For this year's DW trip (first time to DW as a parent planning it) and the only pointer I asked (and I posted this on facebook as a general question for my status, so didn't ask anyone specific) was where they stayed, in DW or off site and which princess meal everyone did. That was it.

A few years ago my DGD classmate went to WDW with his family during spring vacation. I was possitive that they were in trouble. No plan. No ADR. Just staying at WL. They had a ball. They saw what they wanted. They ate well adn they felt that they did nto miss anything. They had not been and just wanted to wing it with their son and if they missed anything they would plan on going back

Not everyone wants to have input from folks who have been and that is okay. Also, with the rivalry the two of you seem to have, perhaps your DB felt that info from a friend rather than family would be a better idea. That way no hard feelings if his family chose not to follow your plan, he likes brats and beer and you do not. There may be other differences.

Wow that's quite the bad attitude.

Are you just more upset that your brother's family is taking a vacation and you aren't? Yeah it sucks sometimes but I wouldn't wish ill on anyone.

That's like me wishing ill because my kid sister just had another baby and I still can't produce one. Makes no sense. Of course I don't understand sibling rivarly either though.

I hope you look around and count your blessings and find your happy place soon.

It wouldn't bother me in the least. People who have never been to WDW just do not realize just how big it is and how much there is to do. I mean really touring plans for an amusement park seem kind of silly to many people.

I hope you are able to put this and whatever else that is going on aside and wish them well.

Don't worry OP, it happens to the best of us. My parents took DS and Dneph last fall and she hit every snag they could have hit. I tried to help with their planning and she informed me that she had been many more times than I had (before Sept '09 her last trip was 1999 - nothing has changed since then...). By then I stopped sharing information and had a few inappropriate giggles when they came home and she complained about certain things. Had she been more willing to listen to the info I found on here, some of those things could have been avoided. Lesson learned on their part. You can't force info on the people if they don't want it.

The first post sounds like sour grapes.

I don't like asking for most peoples' advice on where I am going for vacation as I would prefer to form my own ideas and plans without their bias.

I wouldn't begruge anyone their vacation. Just wish them a good trip and move on.

I understand. I am the family "Disney Freak", everyone knows it. Last year, SIL decided to take her daughter, for a # of reasons, she asked her parents to come along as well. When I heard she was considering the trip, I offered to help and give any info I could. I was careful not to sound like I would take over the trip because I know how independent SIL is. Well, she never asked me anything, nor mentioned it to me, until after she had her sister's husband book the trip for her. Needless to say, his Disney knowledge was very minimal. I felt offended, because I like to help people, and I LOVE to share my WDW knowledge. Helping people plan trips is really fun for me. Anyway, they paid WAYYYYYYYYY too much money for the trip and planned nothing. The crowds were really heavy and they hardly accomplished anything. Went on very few rides, saw very few characters, spent most of their time sitting miserably unhappy in their hotel room they didn't like.
Fast forward a few months when her parents, my inlaws, went to WDW with our family. I planned everything. I made all the plans. MIL told me several times how much better our trip was than the previous trip. She also could not believe how much we accomplished. She said we did things they didn't even know existed. That made me feel really good. I just feel bad for the poor little girl who missed out on what should have been a really great trip because her mother did things the way she did.
I'm not saying my way is the best, or that I am the perfect WDW trip planner, but I don't understand why some people choose to go the blind way when they know there is another option, with a lit path. For what it's worth, the first time I took my family, I asked people that I knew had been several times, and got lots of advice, and right from the very first trip, we had a blast. I had been about 5 times growing up, so I knew what I was getting into, but still asked for ideas and advice. I am so glad I did. I guess now, I just want to return the favor.

I've BTDT with my BIL & SIL... They live in CA and go to DL all the time, but they recently planned a trip east to WDW (which was a double bummer because they didn't ask the rest of us if we'd like to go - and we rarely get to see them!)

Anyway, I offered my knowledge, gave them all sorts of websites to peruse (here being one of them, of course), and then let it go. They didn't look at anything - they wanted the "freedom" of winging it... Well, I don't think they got on more than three rides the whole trip, complained that they couldn't get into any of the good restaurants, and generally didn't have a good time. There was a tiny evil portion of me that thought "HAH!", but for the most part I felt bad, 'cause I would have really loved for them to enjoy it and want to go back.

These threads drive me crazy. There's nothing 'wrong' with not being a big planner, it's just a different style.

I've gone both ways and had a good time both ways.

Just think about any other aspect of your life - work, housekeeping, cooking, sex, parenting, etc. Do you feel like people should be seeking out your advice on those things if you are successful at them? Are you insulted when they don't? Do you laugh behind their backs about how bad they are at them and how much better they'd do if they'd consult you? I'd guess not.

It's one thing to feel like you have valuable info to share, enjoying doing so, and feeling good if it's helpful - it's a whole 'nother thing to think you have some sort of right to do so.

These threads really annoy me.

I'll never understand the smiug feeling some here get when they think someone will have an awful trip.:confused3

Each of us have developed planning/touring/vacationing styles that work for our families. There's nothing wrong with family/friends doing the same.

Why are so many DISers eager to make their family/friends do Disney their way?

Not everyone loves to plan a trip the way we do. That's ok.
Not everyone will freak out about pin codes the way we do. That's ok.
Not everyone cares about having all of their ADRs lined up 180 days out. That's ok.

While your post may be alarming to the uneducated reader, as a Dis'er, I can tell you I would be SOOOOO p'd off if my friends booked a trip..:headache:
Id at least want them to give us the opportunity to team up with them!:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter