Minor complaint about the podcast archives <Former Lurker>

looseends

Earning My Ears
(After reading this, John may regret his request for lurkers to start threads)

In planning my family’s (me, my wife, 9yo son, 6yo daughter) first trip to WDW, I’ve been listening to the podcasts and going through the archives. I’ve been kind of picking and choosing which old shows to listen to based on the great index that catycatcat4 put together.

So here’s my complaint, and I hope this hasn’t been discussed before - every now and then when I go to download a podcast, the link is wrong. For example, the link for the Aug 26 (2010) email show is actually the podcast for the Aug 19 email show. It’s not a big deal, but it’s a bit of a disappointment because I really love listening and I always look forward to a new show. I feel like I’m listening to some close friends of mine. Especially my fellow native-upstate-New Yorker, Kevin. (I grew up in the Syracuse area).

I just thought I’d mention this, and respectfully request that the people responsible for putting the podcast links up make sure they use the correct link, to spare me and other faithful listeners the heartbreak of not getting to hear a new podcast. :sad1:

If you find a mistake in the archives send a private message to catycatcat4.

Please keep in mind that she has volunteered to maintain this list so please be patient.

If you find a mistake in the archives send a private message to catycatcat4.

Please keep in mind that she has volunteered to maintain this list so please be patient.

Absolutely. I hope I didn't come across as ungrateful for the services that are provided on the boards and related to the podcasts. I realize that the people involved with providing these services are doing it in their own spare time and out of the goodness of their heart.

But thanks for the response John. However, is catycatcat4 involved in putting the mp3's for the podcasts on this site: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/archives.htm? The mistakes I've found aren't in her list - it's with the linking to the correct podcasts on the podcast archive site at that URL I just gave.

I think what might be happening is that there may have not been an email show that week. For example, when I clicked on the email button this morning for this week's show, last week's email show actually played because the new email show hadn't been posted yet. The email button is usually always there, but if there wasn't an email show for that week the clicking the button will play the show from the week before.

Also if you click the Discussion Show button or the Email button and it takes you to a page that says "Page not found" (there are a couple of them that do this) go to the Listen Now link at the top of the page and scroll through the shows until you find that show, that will usually play regardless of getting the Page Not Found page.

I think what might be happening is that there may have not been an email show that week. For example, when I clicked on the email button this morning for this week's show, last week's email show actually played because the new email show hadn't been posted yet. The email button is usually always there, but if there wasn't an email show for that week the clicking the button will play the show from the week before.

Also if you click the Discussion Show button or the Email button and it takes you to a page that says "Page not found" (there are a couple of them that do this) go to the Listen Now link at the top of the page and scroll through the shows until you find that show, that will usually play regardless of getting the Page Not Found page.

Thanks for the response. I’ll try your suggestion about using the Listen Now link. Hopefully that takes care of some of the problems. And, I’m sure you’re right that some weeks there is no email show, but perhaps by default there is a button for an email show but it links to an older email show

However, to elaborate a little more, using the 2010 archives as an example….as I mentioned previously, if you click the link for the Aug 26 email show, you will hear the podcast for the Aug 19 email show. However, if you click the link for the Sept 9 email show, you will hear the podcast for the Aug 26 email show. So there was an Aug 26 show, it's just not properly linked.

Also, regarding this week’s email show, Kathy mentioned in an earlier post ( http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2556669 ) that they recorded two shows this week. But the button for this week’s email show links to last week’s email show (i.e., the Sept 9 show I mentioned in the preceding paragraph). I want my Sept 16 email show!! :)

Thanks for the response. I’ll try your suggestion about using the Listen Now link. Hopefully that takes care of some of the problems. And, I’m sure you’re right that some weeks there is no email show, but perhaps by default there is a button for an email show but it links to an older email show

However, to elaborate a little more, using the 2010 archives as an example….as I mentioned previously, if you click the link for the Aug 26 email show, you will hear the podcast for the Aug 19 email show. However, if you click the link for the Sept 9 email show, you will hear the podcast for the Aug 26 email show. So there was an Aug 26 show, it's just not properly linked.

Also, regarding this week’s email show, Kathy mentioned in an earlier post ( http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2556669 ) that they recorded two shows this week. But the button for this week’s email show links to last week’s email show (i.e., the Sept 9 show I mentioned in the preceding paragraph). I want my Sept 16 email show!! :)

Yep, I tried it and you are right, those shows aren't linked right. I have found though that those of us who listen through those links are in the minority, most people download through itunes, so there aren't as many of us to point out things like this. And I'm not sure who is charge of the buttons to let them know about it. If I get stuck I just use the Listen Now button.

No idea where this week's email show is. :confused3 I'm sure it will be up eventually. :)

You can pm catycatcat; she's the one who does the updating.

She doesn't work for the DIS, she's just a poster like anyone else (except younger, she's a kid in high school) who is kind enough to organize all that stuff for everyone.

I'm sure she'd want to know so that she could fix it. :)

WaltD4Me – Itunes! Of course! I generally avoid itunes because it slows down this antiquated PC to a crawl. But it will be worth it to get all the podcasts – Thanks!

Mary Jo – thank you!

kaligal – so is catycatcat4 involved with maintaining the podcast archives at this site: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/archives.htm ? I thought she was just updating the thread on this board that serves as an index for old podcasts, but I may be wrong about that.

WaltD4Me – Itunes! Of course! I generally avoid itunes because it slows down this antiquated PC to a crawl. But it will be worth it to get all the podcasts – Thanks!

Mary Jo – thank you!

kaligal – so is catycatcat4 involved with maintaining the podcast archives at this site: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/archives.htm ? I thought she was just updating the thread on this board that serves as an index for old podcasts, but I may be wrong about that.

No, catycatcat4 (Sierra) just updates the thread in the Sticky at the top of this board, she doesn't do the button links you are talking about Looseends.

Oop, yeah, what (s)he said.

I'm a she! Please note my Tag Fairy tag!

Dalt01 actually said he pictured me looking something like Wilford Brimley until he realized I wasn't a guy. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter