• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Minor complaint about the exit route after Wishes on 11/22

bikinpunk

Mouseketeer
*date may have been the 23rd, but can’t remember.
After the Wishes extravaganza that night, the park was cleared out employing the use of Cast Member exits. Those who wanted to, could exit the park behind the Ice Cream Parlor, which is near the restrooms, walking behind the shops in the cast member area and then come out West of Main Street near City Hall.

I understand that this exit path is used alleviate exiting crowds, but it just kind of bummed me out. I’ve been backstage on the KTTKT and ‘ruined’ the magic for myself, but I just don’t think that little ones should be allowed to see backstage… kind of wears on the ‘magic’ of Disney, ya know?

I also heard someone say the same thing I was saying to my wife as we were backstage:
'Walt wouldn't like this'

It just seems ironic that Walt went SO FAR out of his way to express the desire to keep the fantasy and real world separate, and now guests are essentially pushed into the backstage environment by those directing traffic. I mean, we’re talking about the guy who wanted Utilidors to keep the fantasy away from the reality. It just struck me as an ultimate form of irony. :confused:

I understand the reasoning behind this decision, but is it necessary to ruin the fantasy so that guests don’t have to spend an extra 10 minutes fighting through the crowd?
Sadly, I believe the standard guest would prefer this alternate exit. However, I just can’t get over the irony.

Edited: My sentence structure sucked. ;)

I am very happy when they open the back stage area to alleviate the
overwhelming (and some might say, "dangerous") crowding on Main Street.

MK-Tonys-Paths-061308B.jpg

They do a very similar thing to help ease the exit crush following Fantasmic!

Auxiliary exit path (same route as the Dining Pkg. entrance) goes "back stage," too.

Fantasmic-BE-WS-List_092409.jpg

DHS-Paths-F_101409.jpg

I am very happy when they open the back stage area to alleviate the
overwhelming (and some might say, "dangerous") crowding on Main Street.

They do a very similar thing to help ease the exit crush from Fantasmic!

Which is understandable. I agree that from a safety aspect, it should be done.

However, I still find it a bit odd given how important it was to keep the fantasy from the moment you step foot on the park’s property.

I’ve actually been out that Fantasmic exit once! I wish they would open it up more, lol (yes, hypocritical of me given my minor rant).

I'd be so excited to get "backstage," even if it is to exit! Plus I do think it's safer.. I prefer not to be trampled.:goodvibes

Disney is between a rock and hard place. They have thousands of guests to leave the park all at the same time. Main Street isn't big enough to handle the hoards. Maybe it used to be and now there are just more people. Or maybe there is the same number of people but we are now just too impatient (that's the more likely explanation). So, in order to get the guests happy that don't want to be pushed and shoved and be made to feel like a cow or a sheep, they open up and alternative route. Which now ticks off people who only want the magic. Is it really all that magical to be shoved down Main Street along with thousands of people who you will never see again? Families are attempting to stay together, little kids are being pushed in their strollers, people in wheelchairs have to maneuver around.

The OP said "those who wanted to" could use the alternative exit. Well, if you want the magic, don't use the backstage exit. Just go down Main Street. Simple solution.

I'd be so excited to get "backstage," even if it is to exit! Plus I do think it's safer.. I prefer not to be trampled.:goodvibes

Its not too "glamourous." ;)

Here's a quickly-done image of the route behind Main Street we're discussing.

It's a parking lot that looks about like any area you can see if you go behind the stores in a "strip mall."

MK-BackstagetoNoodleSta.jpg

Disney is between a rock and hard place. They have thousands of guests to leave the park all at the same time. Main Street isn't big enough to handle the hoards. Maybe it used to be and now there are just more people. Or maybe there is the same number of people but we are now just too impatient (that's the more likely explanation). So, in order to get the guests happy that don't want to be pushed and shoved and be made to feel like a cow or a sheep, they open up and alternative route. Which now ticks off people who only want the magic. Is it really all that magical to be shoved down Main Street along with thousands of people who you will never see again? Families are attempting to stay together, little kids are being pushed in their strollers, people in wheelchairs have to maneuver around.

The OP said "those who wanted to" could use the alternative exit. Well, if you want the magic, don't use the backstage exit. Just go down Main Street. Simple solution.

Well, you were somewhat forced to do so simply because of the natural flow of traffic which was being directed out those exits.

We all understand the flip sides of the coin. And yes, I agree, it is not 'magical' being shoved down main street either.
I was simply saying that it stinks that it has come to that point.

I was there that night too and we walked past the doorway where the CM was telling people to use that route. We didn't as we were heading to Tomorrowland, but I was surprised to see them using that auxilliary route. I have been during early and mid July and have never seen them use it. It really didn't seem that crowded to me either.

One night we were directed to take that behind the scenes route.

It was certainly a lot faster exiting away from the mobs.

But I will never allow myself to be forced into that route again. I did not enjoy seeing the dumpsters and the ugly side of the Magic Kingdom.

So when will Disney allow an exit from Fantasmic directly to the DHS boat dock?

I'd look at a dumpster or too for that shortcut.

We were there on the 22nd as well and took that exit route, and it was actually one of the most memorable aspects of our vacation! It is something that we had not experienced before, and we actually enjoyed seeing the backstage part of Disney.

They are on different levels.

Yeah, but by like 20 feet or so if I remember correctly. And it would seem that by the time the backstage path behind beauty and the beast comes closest to the dock, there could have been a gentle enough ramp graded in to make it work.

Now, I do get that they want guests exiting via turnstiles, and past shops and food and all that. I'm just sayin'

Interesting.

I've been backstage twice, both times at Epcot and both times were completely unexpected and thrilling to me!

The first was on Dec 31st 2006. The crowds at Epcot were the largest I had ever seen! It was about 7 and we had 2 hours to kill before our ADR at Alfredo's (I miss Alfredo's :( lol). World Showcase was getting really uncomfortable! Every bench, scrap of grass, ledge, even some of the walkways were being used as seats by tired people.

We were diverted backstage between Mexico and Norway and it was one of the coolest experiences ever! We ended up coming out between Test Track and Mission Space. It absolutely made my night. See, I look at it as a way to see how they make the magic. WDW exists in the "normal" world, but they strive to keep the parks an amazingly magical place and I like to see how that transition from normal world (backstage) to magical world (onstage) is truly instant!

The second time was May 2009. My friend and I grabbed fastpasses for Soarin earlier in the day. The return time was 9pm. We watched Illuminations and then wandered over to the Land. We discovered that they were actually using the Fastpass line as an extension of the regular line! A bit confused, we found a CM who directed us to the FP distribution area. There was a group of about 12 people, we all handed the CM our fast passes and suddenly we were being swept through the door behind the FP distribution and found ourselves backstage. The coolest part is that we were right at the Land greenhouse! And walking back there you realize that Soarin isn't really as far away as the line makes it seem. Its like a 2 minute walk. As opposed to what feels like a mile inside.

We were brought in to the door at the end of the loading bay and omg I thought the people in the regular line were going to riot! The waittime was about 100 mins and here we are swept in from backstage! It was incredibly cool :)

I'd be happy using a back exit. There have been times that I have been kind of nervous moving with the 'herd' after Spectro or Wishes at MK. It's only my husband and me, I couldn't imagine it with kids - I would be terrified someone would trample them. And this is in 'off' season btw.

Most of the time, we just sit back on a bench and let the bulk of people leave. Wait on a bench or wait for a tram or bus. Doesn't matter, we are still waiting ;)

...we found a CM who directed us to the FP distribution area. There was a group of about 12 people, we all handed the CM our fast passes and suddenly we were being swept through the door behind the FP distribution and found ourselves backstage. The coolest part is that we were right at the Land greenhouse! And walking back there you realize that Soarin isn't really as far away as the line makes it seem. Its like a 2 minute walk. As opposed to what feels like a mile inside.

You can reach the actual theater loading area of the Soarin' side closest
to The Land main pavilion via a series of doors and backstage passageways.

Here's the area from above (ignore the word "new" on the Soarin' Queue, this is a map I made long ago.)

Epcot_wSoarin_Satellite_CC.jpg

We were there that night also, and were routed thru the back way for our exit. I had been back there before on the KTTK tour, but my husband and kids thought it was super cool to be behind the scenes at the MK. I did witness first hand why they try to alleviate some of the awful crowding on Main Street that night. When we re-entered Main Street by Tony's, there was a huge crowd of people trying to exit the park. We heard a loud commotion, and saw that an elderly gentleman with a walking cane and another lady had been pushed to the ground on Main Street, close to the toy soldiers. It was an awful thing to see, and I worried about that older gentleman for days after. I totally understand how dangerous huge, pushing crowds can be. Those crowds have scared me a couple of times.

Your other option is to simply wait. After the fireworks, just find a place to stand and wait for 20 min until the crowds ease, and you can just walk up Main Street without being pushed and shoved.

Disney isn't forcing anyone backstage, nor are they making families with kids spoil the magic against their will. The Guest still has the choice -- they can be smushed in the hoards, discover the unmagical backstage, or take 20 min longer to get back to their resort. None of those choices may be ideal, but they are still yours to make!

:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter