• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Minnie Vans Question

The your and you in my post wasn't actually meant to be you directly. My mistake. It was a figurative, collective you. This question is brought up a lot and it really does surprise me that more folks can't figure out that it's not going to happen. I'm not that smart. It really isn't that hard to figure out if some thought is put in to it. If I can see it I can't help but wonder why others can't

I do think the question comes up because often because to some it isn't that illogical. Disney has a contract with Mears and Mears is also the current yellow taxi provider for the area. So to say that Uber/Lyft would be the only option for getting off property if drunk or getting on property is a far stretch. Disney could decide that ride shares aren't allowed but standard taxis are. They could also create a 100% full partnership with Lyft and block out Uber from servicing the area similar to how UberX was not allowed to pick up at airports for awhile. Private property means they could make any rules they want even if we don't think they are logical. It isn't Disney's responsibility to make sure you have a way to make it home safely since they are not just a bar. No one is assumed to be drinking simply because they are in the prescience of alcohol so I can't imagine Disney being held liable if they prevent ride shares from coming onto property. They would just have to make it 100% clear that if you are coming form off site then your only options to leave are drive yourself (and thus should never over serve someone) or use a partner transportation.

I do think the question comes up because often because to some it isn't that illogical. Disney has a contract with Mears and Mears is also the current yellow taxi provider for the area. So to say that Uber/Lyft would be the only option for getting off property if drunk or getting on property is a far stretch. Disney could decide that ride shares aren't allowed but standard taxis are. They could also create a 100% full partnership with Lyft and block out Uber from servicing the area similar to how UberX was not allowed to pick up at airports for awhile. Private property means they could make any rules they want even if we don't think they are logical. It isn't Disney's responsibility to make sure you have a way to make it home safely since they are not just a bar. No one is assumed to be drinking simply because they are in the prescience of alcohol so I can't imagine Disney being held liable if they prevent ride shares from coming onto property. They would just have to make it 100% clear that if you are coming form off site then your only options to leave are drive yourself (and thus should never over serve someone) or use a partner transportation.

No but I hope if and when Disney changes the rules on if uber is allowed on property (sp) they well let us know in advance

Yes, I think this is what I was getting at. We were chuckling about having to use Uber black to get from the airport to Disney and it cost $80 or more. Our regular Uber ride from WL to the airport cost about 42. I will reword my original thinking and say that my concern is that Disney will figure out that Uber or Lyct is a relatively cheap way to get back to your resort after fireworks and do anything and everything they can to force you to pay one of their drivers at their inflated rate to do the same if you're not willing to take their free transportation.

Sarcastically, I thought. If I misread it I sincerely apologize. I was taken aback

No sarcasm. No worries. :grouphug:

Yes, I think this is what I was getting at. We were chuckling about having to use Uber black to get from the airport to Disney and it cost $80 or more. Our regular Uber ride from WL to the airport cost about 42. I will reword my original thinking and say that my concern is that Disney will figure out that Uber or Lyct is a relatively cheap way to get back to your resort after fireworks and do anything and everything they can to force you to pay one of their drivers at their inflated rate to do the same if you're not willing to take their free transportation.

I said this on another thread - I don't believe Disney wants to meet that demand. It would require too great of a capital investment (vehicles, insurance, fuel) and high labor costs. People who use a ride share service expect little to no wait. Guests would become *really* frustrated if they had to start "waiting" on yet ANOTHER mode of Disney transportation.

I think they are targeting specific users and have probably calculated just how much market share they need/expect/want to maximize profit.

I could see them having an exclusive deal with Lyft as a previous poster mentioned, but even then, I'm not so sure...

I said this on another thread - I don't believe Disney wants to meet that demand. It would require too great of a capital investment (vehicles, insurance, fuel) and high labor costs. People who use a ride share service expect little to no wait. Guests would become *really* frustrated if they had to start "waiting" on yet ANOTHER mode of Disney transportation.

I think they are targeting specific users and have probably calculated just how much market share they need/expect/want to maximize profit.

I could see them having an exclusive deal with Lyft as a previous poster mentioned, but even then, I'm not so sure...

I agree. They are targeting a very specific clientele and it is not the budget conscious uber/lyft user. This is akin to the VIP tours, express transportation, etc. They are targeting people that 20 each way is no big deal and don't want to deal with anyone but Disney CMs their entire trip while also not driving themselves or dealing with buses. That would be one reason it started at Deluxe because that is who they are targeting first.

You can't seriously think Disney would do that? I mean seriously?

You can't seriously think Disney would do that? I mean seriously?

I never said I thought Disney would. What I said is it is a possibility. Also yes if they go to negotiate with Lyft or Mears or whomever and part of the negotiations is limiting other competitors then Disney may indeed look at ways to limit the use. Again I don't think that is on the table right now but if Mears sees that they are loosing too much from Lyft they could bring it to the negotiation tables and since Mears is who provides many of the big buses used for different Disney special events and Magical Express it could be a big enough contract that Disney gives into them. None of us know what could go down. So again just giving out hypothetical doesn't mean any of us are saying it is a 100% going to happen down the rode but that it isn't crazy out of realm of possibility.

I guess I get worn out with the conspiracy theories that get thrown around. That's all they are for now.
Mears and all other brands of Taxi's have lived together for all these years. Lyft and Uber have lived together.
Nothing indicates that's changing.
Other than the tin foil hat crowd that wants to find things to worry about.
There are enough things that ARE happening to worry about rather than all the maybe's and whatif's

I guess I get worn out with the conspiracy theories that get thrown around. That's all they are for now.
Mears and all other brands of Taxi's have lived together for all these years. Lyft and Uber have lived together.
Nothing indicates that's changing.
Other than the tin foil hat crowd that wants to find things to worry about.
There are enough things that ARE happening to worry about rather than all the maybe's and whatif's

I am not finding something to worry about or a tin foil hat crowd. Was just pointing out where people get that from. That is great that you don't worry about stuff like this but other posters might and to treat them like they are crazy for even considering it isn't a welcoming environment. Again I don't think it will ever happen that Disney bans Uber, lyft, or mears taxis just because of Minnie Vans but I can understand why others may start to make that jump and know there isn't much that would stop Disney from doing it. Might be one of those cases that if it really bothers you that much that people ask the question just skip over it and let someone else assure people it is not going to happen for now at least.

I think your second paragraph hits it right. They are targeting Me! Well, obviously not me specifically, but I have been following any information about these Minnie vans since the announcement at D23. We are arriving 2 weeks today (doing the happy dance just thinking about it!) and I am hoping it will be available to All guests by then. Not sure it will at this point and I'm kicking myself for resort choice since our last three trips have been BW(2014), YC(2015), and BC(2016). DH wanted to try something different this year. I am wishing we were staying at one of them now.

There are six of us including a 2 year old who needs to be in a car seat and a DD who rides in a booster. We would need an Uber xl and from what I read the price for the xl with a car seat ( bringing our inflatables booster for DD) may not be that far off from $20 anyway. The new Minnie vans would have the two car seats and fit all six of us.

$20 one way to go resort to resort for a character meal and to TL one morning would be worth it for us.

Still waiting on minnie vans to be available for all of Disney resorts. Any news yet?

Anyone know of the Epcot resort testing going on is for those staying at the resorts, or for those traveling to or from those resorts?

At POR now and hoping to take it Tuesday to bon voyage breakfast.

Anyone know of the Epcot resort testing going on is for those staying at the resorts, or for those traveling to or from those resorts?

At POR now and hoping to take it Tuesday to bon voyage breakfast.

My understanding is that it's on available to guests staying at one of those resorts, and they must have Bell Services assist with access to the app. Don't know if that'll change this week or when they'll start to expand the service.

Enjoy your vacation!

We've just returned from a stay at the beach club. I enquired about a Minnie van at bell services and was directed to a dedicated Minnie van cm in the lobby. He download the Lyft app onto my phone and it offered lyft or Minnie van as options plus one other that I can't remember the name of.
We could only order the Minnie van via the app and paid for it via Apple Pay through the app. We were then given a number to phone if we needed the Ada van at any time.
We used both the 6 seater and the Ada adapted van several times - bc to akl, ak to ds, cr to bc as examples. Service was great. Very speedy and fun. Highly recommended.

Has anyone used it at one of these resorts that was already a Lyft customer? What, if anything, did they do to your app to make it work? We check in to BWI in a week or so and I'm wondering since we've used Lyft for a while now so nothing to download and set up here. I wonder if, when it sees we are at BWI, it will just include Minnie Van as a choice?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter