• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Minnie/Mickey's Houses Demolished???

The Mickey and Minnie houses were always a favorite of mine! I am excited about the FE, but I will also miss that attraction. I can still remember the first time I saw Mickey's house, its one of my favorite childhood memories.

:sad:
Oh no! Don't put Mickey in a woodchipper!

Why woodchip versus simply giving them to employees or fans? Maybe auction them off for charity? Seems like they had lots of options here.

Did they tell you why they did it this way?

The only thing we were told was they had to be destroyed and not put in a dumpster, to keep people from taking them and selling them. I hope some of the other stores were able to maybe auction off the larger characters for charity, though! I'm not saying some of the smaller animation like Tink and Figaro didn't make their way home with some managers, and I'm definitely not saying it did ;) , but we were just told to destroy all of it before our final day of demolition.

that is news to me I was really looking foward to bring my 5-3-1 year olds( of course in a couple of more years) to see the houses I wish they would build them somewhere else for it is Disney World right??? Home Of Mickey

My husband said he thinks they should be sold on eby or similar. How funny would it be to live in Mickey's house, haha! Imagine the neighbours' faces! :D

So sad. We were there a few years ago when our daughter was 3 and it's one of the things she still remembers.

She is now 6 and yesterday she told me she is so excited we are going this January and the first thing she wants to do is visit Minnie's house. Yikes, not sure what story I will have to tell her now as to why the houses aren't there. :(

It was an upset to see them go I remember them as a kid. Definitely with the new expansion though.

As for stories in true Disney Spirit,

1- moved into cinderellas castle
2- live in California but come here every day. (goes along with your arriving and departing video on the magical express bus)
3- depending on your resort they could be "staying at your resort on vaca" also goes along w those videos
4- moved into he upstairs of the firehouse- or live on mainstreet

I'm sure you'll come up w something, after all prince charming did get cinderella cable TV to the castle. :-)

I know this has been mentioned on the board, but for all of those worried that their kids will be sad that they can't see Mickey and Minnie's houses just remind them that WDW is where Mickey and Minnie go on vacation, too! Their permanent homes are safe and sound in ToonTown in Disneyland!

It should be an easy enough explanation... we go on vacation, so do M&M! And lucky for the kids they are visiting at the same time!

I realize not everyone can go on multiple trips and make it out to California but that is where all the magic started and where Disney is headquartered. Disneyland is so wonderful and knowing you are walking in Walt's dream is pure magic!

70d9e8173b10933e112565304659feae.jpg

84381b701ffaab49e0d3cf9268a2e642.jpg

Views of insides

wish we were there NOW

"Yikes, not sure what story I will have to tell her now as to why the houses aren't there."

According to the website about New Fantasyland, a spell has been keeping us from seeing this expansion for many years. Could always paint Mickey and Minnie as heroes in that they sacrificed their Florida homes to help break the spell?

Same with the old Disney Store I used to go to- it got remodeled into a very generic Gap-looking store before shutting down. I wonder what happened to all the cool character statues and set pieces. They were too cool to just toss into a dumpster.

There is also a business called Theme Park Connection and they get some of those old figurines and displays from The Disney Store as well as the parks and they re-sale them.

Here is a link to their page. They have some really cool stuff!
http://www.themeparkconnection.com/

I too am really sad about Mickey's and Minnie's homes. I always tell the kids that Disney World is where Mickey and Minnie live, and it went right along with that story to then go to their houses. Not to mention, there was a lot of stuff in those houses that made REALLLLLLY cute pictures, especially if you dressed your child as Mickey/Minnie!!!

I hate this whole circus theme stuff, and I don't understand why Disney would do away with Mickey's and Minnie's HOMES to put all this circus junk in. Seriously, how popular is Dumbo compared to Mickey and Minnie?? I know the ride is popular with little ones -- but not the whole circus theme! You can see a circus anywhere -- Mickey and Minnie are special!!

And I was really really upset to see the new Mickey and gang meet and greet pictures. All this bizarre circus garb??? REALLY? I don't even WANT my kids to see those hideous characters!!! I'm taking them to Disney World and outside of Mickey who I hope and pray is still his normal self, they aren't even going to SEE the main characters.

We'll have to go see them in Epcot, which is completely devoid of the magic you find at the MK, sigh... I just hope and pray they remain in their original costumes there.

How lovely for my little girls to go dress like Minnie to have their pictures made together, only to find that Minnie doesn't even dress like Minnie anymore and they don't match at all...

Thanks-- looks like a fun site to check out- especially the Haunted Mansion replica house.
It is fun to just look and dream of having anything in their auctions. :flower1: However, I'd personally rather have a house modeled after The Haunted Mansion :hmghost: at Walt Disney World.

I too am really sad about Mickey's and Minnie's homes. I always tell the kids that Disney World is where Mickey and Minnie live, and it went right along with that story to then go to their houses. Not to mention, there was a lot of stuff in those houses that made REALLLLLLY cute pictures, especially if you dressed your child as Mickey/Minnie!!!

I hate this whole circus theme stuff, and I don't understand why Disney would do away with Mickey's and Minnie's HOMES to put all this circus junk in.

Only specifically addressing this, because I agree to some degree about the circus outfits.

The problem here is that story isn't accurate to what Disney built. WDW's Toontown Fair had Mickey and Minnie's COUNTRY Homes. It was where they went on vacation. Toontown in DL is where they "actually" live.

And the story you tell them is simple. In this economy, Mickey and Minnie couldn't afford to keep a second house. :rotfl2:

I'm still heartbroken over losing Mickey and Minnie's houses. They were adorable and pure Disney.

Only specifically addressing this, because I agree to some degree about the circus outfits.

The problem here is that story isn't accurate to what Disney built. WDW's Toontown Fair had Mickey and Minnie's COUNTRY Homes. It was where they went on vacation. Toontown in DL is where they "actually" live.

And the story you tell them is simple. In this economy, Mickey and Minnie couldn't afford to keep a second house. :rotfl2:

Well, in the OP's defense, I think if I recall correctly, When the houses were build as part of Mickey's Birthdayland, There were billed as Mickey and Minnie's Real houses.

I think I even remember that story being the same as Mickey's Birthdayland transitioned into Mickey's Starland.

the DL Toontown (If I recall correctly), was actually built AFTER Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland, so the Country Home story for Florida I don't think came into play until later..... Maybe even around the time Starland started it's transition into Toontown Fair. (With the elimination of Duckburg, Minnie Moo, and the introduction of the Barnstormer)

I am sad, along with everyone else :worried: though, Mickey and Minnie really live in California and the houses in WDW were just their vacation homes ::yes::

I hate this whole circus theme stuff, and I don't understand why Disney would do away with Mickey's and Minnie's HOMES to put all this circus junk in. Seriously, how popular is Dumbo compared to Mickey and Minnie?? I know the ride is popular with little ones -- but not the whole circus theme! You can see a circus anywhere -- Mickey and Minnie are special!!

And I was really really upset to see the new Mickey and gang meet and greet pictures. All this bizarre circus garb??? REALLY? I don't even WANT my kids to see those hideous characters!!! I'm taking them to Disney World and outside of Mickey who I hope and pray is still his normal self, they aren't even going to SEE the main characters.

We'll have to go see them in Epcot, which is completely devoid of the magic you find at the MK, sigh... I just hope and pray they remain in their original costumes there.

How lovely for my little girls to go dress like Minnie to have their pictures made together, only to find that Minnie doesn't even dress like Minnie anymore and they don't match at all...

It's always sad when favorite attractions are replaced. I can completely understand being disappointed if you really enjoyed Mickey and Minnie's houses.

For me, though, I always felt that Toontown was sort of...a waste. It looked a bit cheap to me, and it was clear that it was meant to be temporary (even if temporary did end up being many, many years!).

May I ask if you've been to the new Storybook Circus yet? I was there a couple of weeks ago and was really, really impressed! DS absolutely LOVED Storybook Circus, and I enjoyed all of the thoughtful Disney details they incorporated into the area. DS had no interest in standing in line to meet characters, so we met Mickey and the gang at Garden Grill in Epcot and Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Both were quite magical, and we had great interactions. :goodvibes

I understand your disappointment (I'm disappointed that SWSA closed, even though I'm excited about the other FLE additions!). Change can be difficult. But if you haven't seen it in person yet, I urge you to give the new areas a shot before you make up your mind. It's all really beautiful and fun, and I saw tons and tons of excited kids (and adults!) enjoying the new Fantasyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter