Minnie/Mickey's Houses Demolished???

BippityBoppity

Mouseketeer
Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that due to the new Fantasyland changes that they were or have demolished Mickey and Minnie's houses? I really hope not, they are so cool. I know they aren't rides but Mickey and Minnie ARE Disney. Hopefully, I am confused about the demolition.:confused3

Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that due to the new Fantasyland changes that they were or have demolished Mickey and Minnie's houses? I really hope not, they are so cool. I know they aren't rides but Mickey and Minnie ARE Disney. Hopefully, I am confused about the demolition.:confused3

They're long gone. Toontown, as a whole, is gone, actually, to make way for the Fantasy Land Expansion (FLE).

Pretty much all the structures...Mickey and Minnie's houses, Donalds boat, etc) went bye bye as they were building out the FLE expansion. The only thing left is Goofy's Barnstormer (rethemed) and, I think, the main "Fair" tent (aka giftshop) I think might still be there....rethemed as well.

BippityBoppity said:

Oh ya these have been gone for a long time but you can still visit mickey on main street USA the new area where the houses used to be story book circus is pretty cool with the new dumbo's , updated barnstormer and all

I am all for the new Fantasyland but wish they could have incorporated their houses elsewhere, thought they were a real cool feature.

However, I did hate the photo op with Mickey and Minnie at the back of the houses, it was just so un-inspiring!

Take a trip to Disneyland. Not only is Toontown still present at DL but it's many times better than Walt Disney World's ever was.

I still can't believe that they would just demolish them. :confused: I've taken the same picture of my girls on Minnie's fireplace since our first trip in 2007, and I was so sad to find it gone in 2011. Little ones actually believe that Mickey and Minnie live there, and they were always one of the most magical parts of our trip. I like to believe they were able to move them until they find a new home for them one day. It makes no sense to me that they would get rid of such an awesome feature. :mad:

I still can't believe that they would just demolish them. :confused: I've taken the same picture of my girls on Minnie's fireplace since our first trip in 2007, and I was so sad to find it gone in 2011. Little ones actually believe that Mickey and Minnie live there, and they were always one of the most magical parts of our trip. I like to believe they were able to move them until they find a new home for them one day. It makes no sense to me that they would get rid of such an awesome feature. :mad:

I agree.. I like to think they were some how kept in tact and put into storage to do something with them later. I can't believe they would actually demolish them! :(

Disney seems to be good at re-purposing old attractions and I hope that will happen here. Those houses were too good to simply destroy. I always liked seeing the letter from Buzz Lightyear with the return address "Infinity and Beyond".

Same with the old Disney Store I used to go to- it got remodeled into a very generic Gap-looking store before shutting down. I wonder what happened to all the cool character statues and set pieces. They were too cool to just toss into a dumpster.

(But, if kids got to see Mickey and Minnie's house, wouldn't they wonder where Donald, Goofy, and everybody else lived?)

I would be dumpster diving for that if I found out when! lol
I could see them all in myliving room! lol who needs a chair or a table whenI can have a huge Mickey!!!:rotfl:

I believe that I read somewhere that the entire structure was made out of concrete. There was no way to pick them up and move them.

I believe that I read somewhere that the entire structure was made out of concrete. There was no way to pick them up and move them.

Pretty much..... and if you saw the pictures of the demolition, You'd see how the majority of the structure was concrete and rebar. (You gotta recall that those houses were built, similar to the "Temporary Tents", For the Temporary Mickey's BirthdayLand for Mickey's big 60th Bday celebration in '89....Which then turned into Mickey's Starland.... and then got the remodel into Toontown. Nothing was really built with the intention of remaining in place for 20+yrs)

They did save many of the interior decorations though, and I believe i've heard and seen some pictures of some of those set pieces and props even being placed around the Expo where Mickey now does his M&G.

Good to know, the interiors were great fun!

wish we were there NOW

Same with the old Disney Store I used to go to- it got remodeled into a very generic Gap-looking store before shutting down. I wonder what happened to all the cool character statues and set pieces. They were too cool to just toss into a dumpster.

Not a dumpster. They were woodchipped to prevent people from taking them. I helped close/demolish a large handful of the disney stores in the area I live in between 2004-2006 and it was always so sad to have to woodchip the animation that used to live on top of the store.

That's really sad news :/. I haven't been since this new expansion, so I guess I'll just have to hope it was worth it to remove them.

Not a dumpster. They were woodchipped to prevent people from taking them. I helped close/demolish a large handful of the disney stores in the area I live in between 2004-2006 and it was always so sad to have to woodchip the animation that used to live on top of the store.

:sad:
Oh no! Don't put Mickey in a woodchipper!

Why woodchip versus simply giving them to employees or fans? Maybe auction them off for charity? Seems like they had lots of options here.

Did they tell you why they did it this way?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter