Minnesotan’s Last Minute, Last Bash, Spring Celebration Trip! – Day 1

Minnesota

<font color=navy>Disney Commando<br><font color=re
Trip Report Day 1 – ‘Round ‘Round We Get Around!
After spending most of Friday running around packing, which was more frustrating than usual. We booked our trip only about 2 weeks before leaving so instead of planning to pack for 2 weeks ahead of time I packed about 12 hours ahead of time.

I then went to work on Friday night but at least instead of the usual 30 minutes to work for a Friday night shift it only took me 10, which gave me the opportunity to buy some last minute things from Wal-Mart. I then also lucked out when I spent my break going to the bank. Of the 15 minute break it only took 10 to get to the bank so I still had 5 minutes to eat something.

Saturday morning I finished packing the last minute items and things I remembered in the middle of the night then my mother and aunt took me to the airport for my first ever southwest flight.

Shameless plug here - I LOVE SOUTHWEST!!! Two checked bags for free and they give you snacks for free in flight, it's just a little thing of peanuts most of the time but it's more than any other airline will do for free. Back to the trip report.

I flew from Minneapolis to St Louis in an uneventful flight. The gentleman seated next to me lived in St Louis and told me where to sit to possibly see the gateway arch when flying out (It was my first time flying into St Louis too)

Once in the St Louis terminal I discovered I was only 10 gates away from where I needed to be for my next flight to Orlando but I also discovered that my Orlando flight was delayed by almost an hour due to rain. So I kicked it in St Louis until 2:30 (instead of 1:40) then boarded the plane, we then were held on the ground for another 20 minutes making us over an hour late.

The flight into Orlando was bumpy but I have been on worse (flying out of MCO during Hurricane Wilma comes to mind). The only thing was, I was starving hungry and had not bought anything in St Louis. Luck again was on my side as this flight had cheese nips as well as peanuts and the attendant was kind enough to give me seconds.

A little over two hours later and I was finally in Orlando. Before continuing I do have to back up. In all this you're probably wondering 'what happened to the best friend who was also going on this trip?' well, she lives in Denver so we were meeting in Orlando.

Friday for her was also spent packing only her's was much more hurried. See the Colorado State Patrol was shutting down mountain passes because of freezing rain and snow. The 4 wheel drive on Sara's truck had also gone out two days before. So she was trying to pack in a hurry so she could get to Denver for a 6 am Saturday morning flight without being stopped by a closed pass.

She did make it but instead of spending a restful night in a hotel near the airport, she only got 3 hours of sleep before being rousted to the airport for her flight to Atlanta. The flight to Atlanta, the layover and the flight to Orlando were all uneventful and she arrived in Orlando at about 2:30, checked into our hotel near the airport, which we had for a employee rate so our 5 days in Disney could be a FULL five days, an fell asleep until I landed at 6:30 instead of the 5:45 I was supposed to be there.

I eventually landed and took the hotel shuttle to meet Sara and we decided that since we were both starving hungry we'd go out to eat. Well just then a pizza delivery menu was slipped under our door for a place called Jo's. The prices seemed reasonable so we decided to stay and order in a pizza. Little did we know what that pizza held in store for us.

To make a long tirade short, we ordered a margarita pizza with extra sausage. What we finally got a discount nearly an hour later was a sausage pizza that tasted more like hamburger, with a crust so rubbery it was hard to gnaw off a bite much less chew it, and there was all of about 3 drops of tomato sauce (an no it wasn't supposed to be a white pizza). It was food though so we ate it and decided that it was the second worst pizza ever. Not wanting to be out done the pizza had its revenge later that night.

After chatting a catching up we decided it was time for bed as we were going to Disney the next day. Disclaimer: neither of us were taking any new or changed medications prescription or otherwise and neither of us had drank anything alcoholic since communion wine the week before, however, that night we had some of the strangest most vivid dreams either of us can remember in a LONG time. The pizza however wasn't finished with us yet as we had still not deemed it the worst pizza ever...

Stay tuned for Day 2: The Disney Day without

Minnesota

Okay I was hoping to insert a picture of the Day for each day but am having fits getting a picture to post so in the mean time here is Day 2:

Day 2: The Disney day Without

We woke the next morning going 'whoa that was a bad pizza' but were excited to start our Disney trip itself. We got ready and checked out of our hotel that night and waited for the shuttle back to the airport. Being somewhat broke we took the free shuttle back to the Airport where we checked in for the Disney Magical Express or DME to get a "free" ride to the resort. Once we hit the lobby the pizza had its final revenge. Both of us were sick to our stomach and made a trip to the lobby restroom. It was then deemed the world’s worst pizza!

Two Imodium each and a 30 minute ride to WDW made things better and soon we were arriving at the Pop Century! We checked in making a request for 1st floor (see the pre trip as to the full explanation) because of Sara's Achilles. That wasn't ready so they held our luggage and we were off to Epcot.

Sara's physical therapist had given us a laundry list of who to get her through a trip like this without further damaging her foot so we would stop 10 minutes of every hour to sit, preferably in AC, and took a WAY slower pace through the park. "Rock in the River" was our motto but we always tried to stay to the side of the river!

We were there for the last day of the flower festival so our goal was just to get pictures of all the topiaries and decorations. We started in Future world where our first break doubled as lunch at the electric umbrella (kids wraps with veggies and fruit for sides - thank you WDW for the kids menu) seeing as our dining plan we had (for free thanks to a pin offer) gave us counter service for each night but seeing as we were there for 5 FULL days we had to buy ourselves yesterday.

After lunch we headed into the world showcase starting with the Kim Possible mission in Mexico first then topiary watching to Norway where we had to have a sit break. Fortunately it timed perfectly to ride the ride, wait for the movie to begin then it was the 10 minutes and we walked through to the shops to look for a bit before continuing on to more topiaries and Japan for our second KP mission.

The KP missions were seemingly "short" for us Disneyers who were on our 9th ish trip but the effects were a lot of fun as were the stories so we plan on trying to get the other 5 mission in on our second day in Epcot. It was also fun to see other guests’ reactions when out of nowhere something would happen to the display they were looking at and not realize it was the KP missions. For them it was a touch of Disney Magic!

At this point Sara was starting to feel pretty miserable from her foot and a migraine to boot so she took an extended sit break in Morocco while I went in search of topiaries in surrounding countries. I took plenty of pictures so if they were gone on our second Epcot day Sara could still see them one way. Once I finished everything up to Morocco with the exception of a few over by Mexico I met up with her again and we finished with Canada and the UK pavilions. I wanted to catch the few we had missed in Mexico, Norway and China, so Sara crashed with her Kindle again in the rose garden while I continued on lap 2 of the world showcase.

By this point the weather was looking ominous and the resort had called to say our room was ready. As we had already finished Test track, spaceship earth, the Norway ride, every topiary in Epcot, and 2 KP missions and Sara was feeling pretty miserable we decided to go move into our room and get her some medication. It had begun sprinkling just as we reached the bus shelter, lightly raining when we got off the bus, and out right pouring when we got our room assignment and got to the food court. We decided this would be a good time for lunch! This was also when Sara noticed my left knee was swollen to be about the size of a melon. I had noticed it had been feeling tight, stiff like, but hadn’t noticed the swelling that at this point seemed rather impressive.

After we were done with lunch we went to check out our room. We spent a total of about 20 minutes in the room which was SO noisy! I could hear conversations in the room above us, every foot step of anyone in the building practically and a couple of kids had the roller shoes above us which were really annoying noises. It was even worse for Sara with her migraine so we did end up going for our luggage and to see if it was possible to change rooms to a higher floor or lower populated building.

The front desk was very nice and moved us to a 4th floor room in the same building and also made sure we were close to the elevator so Sara wouldn’t have to do stairs. They issued new keys and we went to our new room. On the way we stopped by luggage services to pick up our luggage. As soon as they saw the boot and crutches they said they would deliver it for us “right away”. We were fine with that and headed up to check out our new room. This one turned out to me much, much quieter and so we hung out waiting for the luggage.

After 30 minutes I called luggage services. I didn’t really want to as we had caused enough issues with the room but Sara really needed her medication which was in her carry on stored with the rest of the luggage. They said they would get the guy delivering it right there and we would have the luggage in a few minutes. 15 minutes later the luggage arrived and Sara discovered her medication… was still in Colorado.

As a nationally certified pharmacy technician I knew we could get it transferred and filled in Florida but without transportation of our own it was going to be hard to find a pharmacy still open later at night (it was past 8 pm and we were still in the room). She decided to see how it went taking OTC meds but didn’t have any along as she thought she had her RX meds along. I offered my aleve, but that doesn’t agree with her so as we were going to try to make it back to Epcot for Illuminations we headed down to the resort gift shop.

I took a little longer emptying out my “park bag” (a see through shoulder tote that worked GREAT through security) of things I didn’t need in there so I said I would catch up with Sara in the gift shop. Along the way I called my mother to check in and ask her opinion about my knee. I had knee issues years ago but recently it has only been my ankles and wrists braced so I had nothing along to brace my knee. When I caught up with Sara, she had made a haul of everything we had not brought along. (One of those classic packing moments – “I bring this every year and never use it so I’m not bringing it this year” – oops) She had bought more Imodium (the pizza was waring off but just in case) Migraine medication, and an ace bandage for my knee. She popped a few tablets and I wrapped my knee while waiting for the bus to Epcot, at this point it is about 8:30 pm.

The driver thought we were a bit crazy wanting to get into the park this late as it was NOT extra magic hours that night. Figuring 10 minutes to the park put us 20 minutes to closing, of course things didn’t go according to plan and we arrived at Epcot 10 minutes to closing. By the time the two of us hobbled through the bus area and security we got through the gate and the attendants changed them to closed. We were literally the very last guests to enter Epcot that night!

Figuring there was no way to see Illuminations at all much less decently we took some night pictures of the Topiaries at the entrance and the ball and watched some of illuminations from future world over the top of the trees. We then decided to get back to the bus stop before the mobs of people following illuminations so we hobbled back out of the park and down to our bus. Surprisingly there was quite the line already but we got talking to a nice couple from the New York area until it was our turn to board. We went back to the resort, got a Mickey Ice Cream and went back to the room to hang out and try to reduce the swelling all around!

Stay Tuned for Day 3 Magic at the Magic Kingdom
Minnesota

You both really got a lot in considering the migraine and swollen knee! Hope you both are feeling much better for your next day at the parks!

Here (hopefully) is the Picture of the day from Day 1. Check out my photo site (link in my signature) for more!

388239918.jpg

Yes - It is the World's Worst Pizza!!!

I couldn't decide which for Day 2 to post so here are a couple :) Again, for more check out my photo site

388239957.jpg

388239944.jpg

388239950.jpg

Various topiaries from the festival!!!

I just noticed my right click protection is not working on the boards - PLEASE ask before copying, PLEASE don't steal my pics, Thank you!
Minnesota

Ummm. :confused3 Hello fellow Minnesotan. :banana: Can't wait to read!!! Plus you have more I can go back to when I am done with this one! :cool1:

Day 3 Magic at the Magic Kingdom

We started the day arriving at the Magic Kingdom a little later (11 am) knowing we could stay later that night if we felt like it. We started with Tomorrowland, getting our highest scores ever on Buzz Lightyear, and riding Space Mountain, Carosel of Progress, Stitch, pretty much everything other than the Astro Orbiter, the Motor Speedway and the TTA. The first two on the list of skipped rides didn’t really appeal to us but we planned to come back for the TTA. It’s somewhat boring but we love it!

Following the advice on the boards here, we located the phone and played with it until the messages began to repeat, then hungry we found a new favorite snack in the counter service under the TTA/Astro orbiter platform – Cream Cheese Pretzels!!! YUM!!! From there we decided to cross over to Adventureland for the Jungle ride, Pirates, and we were hoping for the Tiki Room but had just missed a seating so we headed over to Frontierland for Splash, Big Thunder, and Haunted Mansion.

As we were leaving the Haunted Mansion it was POURING rain but us brilliant people decided not to use one of the two disposable ponchos we had (we still had 3 days left) and instead moved from building to building back to Adventureland. By this time we were hungry again and had missed Tiki room again so we got pineapple floats and an orange creamsicle for another snack and waited out the rain.

While eating our ice cream we met a family from Canada with a son who was absolutely adorable! According to his father he had been really good their whole trip so he sprung for the full pirate package. The son looked so cute as a pirate, strangers were asking the parents permission to take pictures of the son! And the son was so patient and willing to take pictures with strangers – he was SO well behaved!

After ice cream and the rain had stopped, we headed out of the park for a break. Being we didn’t have park hopper and were not staying on a monorail resort, we realized that without a “pointless” ride on the monorail we wouldn’t get to ride it at all so we rode from the Magic Kingdom all the way out to Epcot for more pics of the flower mosaics from above. Then we rode the bus from Epcot back to the resort for a break.

After a few hours reading and writing and napping, we headed back to the Magic Kingdom for the parades, fireworks Fantasyland, and EMH that night. We started in Fantasyland, accidently missing the only parade we would have been able to see at that time. When it came time for Fireworks we decided to try something new, watching them from behind the castle instead of in front. We would NOT recommend this to anyone who has not seen the fireworks show before, but for those of us who can sing it all from memory, behind the castle was a very cool experience.

You kind of loose the story by not seeing the effects on the castle (you do still hear the audio) but as the actual fireworks are launched from several of the buildings behind the castle, watching from next to the carousel gave us 360 degree fireworks. We both were grinning like fools the entire show and could even feel the burned black powder raining down. It was really cool but again only if you already know what’s supposed to be happening. If you’re there for the first time, definitely watch from the front side of the castle.

After the fireworks we finished Fantasyland and headed back to Tomorrowland to catch the TTA only to find it was not operating during EMH and we had missed it. This bummed us out a little but there was nothing we could do. Tired and sporting swollen appendages again (or probably still) we hobbled out to the bus stop and headed back to our resort for the night.

Stay Tuned For Day 4: Saving the World (showcase)

Minnesota

Ummm. :confused3 Hello fellow Minnesotan. :banana: Can't wait to read!!! Plus you have more I can go back to when I am done with this one! :cool1:
Hello Fellow Minnesotan! Did you have a question? I'm not sure I understand the ummm :)
Minnesota

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter