Minnesota Governor cancels all public schools on Monday

That is a hard decision. :(

That is tough. I do not know what the right decision is.

I am in Northeast Florida and they say our wind chill is going to be 5. Are you kidding me? Just exactly what does that feel like, we aren't used to this craziness. lol

Wow! 5 feels...warm to me. I cannot imagine how southerners would feel in it, though, lol! Good luck!! This weather across the nation is just FUNKY!

Count us in. We are in the NW burbs of Chicago and the district's in our area all falling in line now. The city itself is having quite an issue. CPS had said school will be open tomorrow but the teachers union is strongly objecting. For the city it really is a balancing act, so many kids get two meals a day from school plus the schools are warm...so which decision is right?

I have been thinking about several of my students & worrying about them eating and having heat over break. :worried:

Our district has that issue too but supposedly the buses have trouble running if it's -25 or below. The list of closings is getting longer here and the first really local district out of 7 in our area just closed. I'll be curious to see what mine does because it's a teacher workday tomorrow. My own kids are supposed to go back tomorrow too.

I am in Northeast Florida and they say our wind chill is going to be 5. Are you kidding me? Just exactly what does that feel like, we aren't used to this craziness. lol

To us, that's a nice day. LOL! To you, it's going to feel very, very cold.

I actually think it is harder on you all than us. We've got the clothes, houses that are well insulated with excellent furnaces, etc. Your houses are simply not built to handle this kind of cold. I remember a week in California where it got to sub 20 every day for a week....our poor little heater simply could not keep up. We had it running CONTINUOUSLY and it still couldn't get the house above 65.

It will NOT feel good! Stay inside! :goodvibes

My favorite was 3 or 4 years ago when one of the foothill school districts decided late to call a snow day, after all the teachers and most of the student were already there, on time. It was harder to send the kids home early than to just stick it out.

Well CPS changed it's mind and closed all schools tomorrow. The list is so long they might have saved time and printed the few schools that will be open! What is even more astonishing is that DH just received a call that his large corporate office will be closed and everyone is working from home...that NEVER happens.

We won't be as cold as some places, our wind chill Monday night/Tuesday morning is supposed to be -15 degrees. But, remember me, because I will be out on the street directing traffic and getting kids across the street to go to school. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We won't be as cold as some places, our wind chill Monday night/Tuesday morning is supposed to be -15 degrees. But, remember me, because I will be out on the street directing traffic and getting kids across the street to go to school. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh I already feel bad for you - good luck staying warm!

My DD was invited to a play date tomorrow since there is no school and I'm trying to decide which is the bigger evil - having her fight with her brother all day or actually leaving the house to drive her to the friends house. :lmao: Tough choice

To us, that's a nice day. LOL! To you, it's going to feel very, very cold.

I actually think it is harder on you all than us. We've got the clothes, houses that are well insulated with excellent furnaces, etc. Your houses are simply not built to handle this kind of cold. I remember a week in California where it got to sub 20 every day for a week....our poor little heater simply could not keep up. We had it running CONTINUOUSLY and it still couldn't get the house above 65.

It will NOT feel good! Stay inside! :goodvibes

Thanks, I will stay inside. Luckily it won't last. We have a pretty kick butt gas heater and fireplace and this house is crazy insulated so I think for just a day or 2 it will be ok. Thank God for hot flashes, they may come in handy for this time of year.

Seriously, I know 5 degrees is nothing for you guys and you are getting way below sub zero in some areas., so stay warm and stay inside.

Well CPS changed it's mind and closed all schools tomorrow. The list is so long they might have saved time and printed the few schools that will be open! What is even more astonishing is that DH just received a call that his large corporate office will be closed and everyone is working from home...that NEVER happens.

We are already planning on Our local districts being closed on Tuesday because of the temps, but they are also calling for a couple feet of snow.

My office never closes either. We have been told in the past that a state of emergency has to be called in order for the office to close. We too have had record clod temperatures lately and Friday the Governor declared a statewide state of emergency but we still had to go to work.

A few years back we had a freak snowstorm in October before the leaves had fallen and it caused sever power outages and downed trees. They closed the office for a day and then reopened and told everyone that they had to report. There was a driving ban and a state of emergency in the city where our office is and a couple coworkers got stopped and ticketed because they weren't "essential personnel".

We get what is considered Personal time off; it's all in one group, but if you take a day with less than 24 hours notice (if you call in) it counts against you.

On Monday are high is expected to be -15 with a windchill close to -56. The governor decided today to close all public schools. The last time this happened was in 1997.
Work will still go on as normal meaning I will still have to bring my daughter out in the cold to get her daycare:worried:

http://http://m.kare11.com/sms?a=4304293&f=1251&articleSection=topnews&type=article

(Not sure I copied the link right:confused3)

Private daycare???
In my area, public daycare centers are already announcing closures.

Oh I already feel bad for you - good luck staying warm! My DD was invited to a play date tomorrow since there is no school and I'm trying to decide which is the bigger evil - having her fight with her brother all day or actually leaving the house to drive her to the friends house. :lmao: Tough choice
My DD is at a sleep over and I'll have to go out and pick her up tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that my car starts. It's already -10 degrees here in Madison, WI and that's without the windchill.

wind-chill-Monday-6a-png.png

This is Reason #1
" #101

" #1001

why I want to move to Florida!!!

My daughter just got home from Minnesota last night, it took 15 hours! She was supposed to fly into JFK but it was closed so they sent them to Boston instead. Then they hired a bus to take them to JFK. She finally got home at 6 this morning and is exhausted but thank God she is safe. She said there was a wrestling team on the plane too and they were all so hungry being on the plane that long and waiting in Boston. But their coach was able to get food for everyone!

This is Reason #1
" #101

" #1001

why I want to move to Florida!!!

I think this is all my fault :rolleyes2 We actually are moving from WI to FL but not for a few more weeks - so it's like we're being tortured one last time before we leave - not very nice of Old Man Winter. :rotfl2:

And now our power is out....
DH and I are supposed to be working from home but no power equals no modem so we are all huddled under blankets in front of the fire. DD has her lizard in the travel cage and even the dogs are in here. It had between out over two hours already...oy

You do bring up a great point. DW and I worked opposite shifts when our kids were small to avoid daycare issues, but I just don't know how parents manage. Just in the last 10 years the district we live in has expanded Thanksgiving break from Thursday and Friday to the entire week, and Presidents day is now President's week off. Throw in that every Thursday is a Noon dismissal, I don't how parents juggle child care and work.

The weather has been interesting. We're dealing with record highs, no rain, no water and water rationing about to start. DW is out working in the yard, and I have to go out and cut the lawn......in JANUARY. Only high point, California shattered all records for solar generated electricity last week.

How about we send you some cheap solar electricity to heat your house, and you send us some water?

I'm now a SAHM but when I was working DH and I would alternate using personal days when the kids were sick. If it was a scheduled day off for the kids one of us would take a vacation day. At the time I had 5 weeks vacation/personal days and DH only had 4. So most of the time I would take the day unless it was a day where I had some imperative to get done that day.

And now our power is out....
DH and I are supposed to be working from home but no power equals no modem so we are all huddled under blankets in front of the fire. DD has her lizard in the travel cage and even the dogs are in here. It had between out over two hours already...oy
Oh no! Keep warm!

I am soooooo happy to live in California and not have to deal with that kind of cold! Although now I'm wondering if we will have enough water to go around this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter