minimum amount to tip mousekeeping when going solo?

Housekeeping is one of the FEW positions that can actually accept a tip (w/o being a tipped position). Most other positions have to refuse the tips & if the guests insists are to turn it over to management or face termination.

To turn it around - just because you think some one deserves a tip, does not mean you SHOULD tip them.

wel, if you had quoted my entire post you would have shown the comment 'if you don't want to you don't have to' and also the part about it making me happy.
i want to turn it back - just because you think some one deserves a tip and their not a tipped position, does not mean you SHOULDN'T tip them.

lets all agree to disagree. no one is right, no one is wrong.

well, if you had quoted my entire post
Why would I quote your entire post, when I was only responding to the part that I quoted?

For the record - I could careless if you or anyone tips housekeeping, as long as they making an informed decision.

Honestly if I'm solo, I don't even have mousekeeping come into the room unless I'm there for more than 3/4 nights. They usually leave towels/supplies in a bag on the door (or I grab something from the cart if I see it). If they do come in, I'd leave $2-3.

Considering how poorly mousekeeping does I rarely tip.

I tip for service, I don't bribe to get it :lmao:

My one and ONLY stay at the Grand Floridian I wrote "dust me" on a piece of furniture in the dust When I checked out two days later it was still there... tip amount =0

When I travel alone (on business, not vacation), I tip $2-$3/day. I make sure my room is neat and tidy before I leave (because I like it organized), and essentially, all housekeeping is doing is replacing the towels, toiletries, and making the bed. I think $2-3 is definiitely something I can part with.

My mom works for housekeeping at a local hotel. She just recently started there. The wage is $8.50 an hour, so barely over minimum wage here in MI. I was absolutely appalled to hear what people leave or don't leave for tips. There are some people who leave soda cans (they are worth 10 cents here) and pocket change with a note that it's a tip. (and my mom works her behind off to clean these people's rooms) It's not a low end hotel either! On a very good day she will get $10 for cleaning 22 rooms. I was always a good tipper, but that encouraged me to make sure I tipped a bit extra.

I usually tip $5 when I'm traveling solo or for two people. Been lucky to always have fantastic mousekeeping on our trips, I wish housekeeping was as good in non-disney hotels. Also, I worked as a janitor in college and it was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had. I appreciate the work they do.

I could not care less about what others think or what Disney's "rule" is about housekeeping.

I tip $5 per day per room at the minimum.

For the record - I could care less if you or anyone tips housekeeping, as long as they making an informed decision.

I don't get why you feel that someone's decision over a few bucks needs to be informed?

I really don't care about what the norm is or what the minimum is or what anyone thinks when I leave a tip. It's my money and I can toss it if I feel so inclined.

I'm on vacation. I want a stress free experience.

And, for the poster that mentioned her mother works in housekeeping: Would your mother have preferred the guest kept their change? This wouldn't make sense to me. If she only gets abut $10 out of 22 rooms, why would she be disdainful over a bit of abandoned change?

To be honest, I don't always plan my pocket money with cash tipping in mind. So, sometimes, my tip might be part change. I never consider whether the tip is more acceptable as a ten dollar bill, or 12 quarters, 10 dimes, a single and a five. It's cash!!!!!

Now, leaving soda cans or bottles for the refund, did your Mom refund it or toss it? Obviously that was her choice. (Something we don't deal with here - no one gives bottle refunds in my area - the recycling people get them all.)

And, for the poster that mentioned her mother works in housekeeping: Would your mother have preferred the guest kept their change? This wouldn't make sense to me. If she only gets abut $10 out of 22 rooms, why would she be disdainful over a bit of abandoned change?
I'm not that poster, but in the restaurant world a handful of abandoned change is meant as message of displeasure and disrespect. Maybe the poster's mom is getting the same vibe in the hotel.

When I travel solo, I typically do $2 a day. When I travel for races and know I've left extra trash or more mess than I usually would, I up to $3 (because I usually feel it is the equivalent of what would have been left if there were two people in the room). If it's a really short trip (only 1 or 2 nights), then sometimes I'll leave $5 on the last day instead.

I'm not that poster, but in the restaurant world a handful of abandoned change is meant as message of displeasure and disrespect. Maybe the poster's mom is getting the same vibe in the hotel.

I get that. I remember a penny being left meant service was below par.

But - a hotel room is where you change your clothes, sleep, empty your purse of change so it doesn't weigh a ton. I'm never going to worry about what the maid thinks if I happen to not carefully pick up all my extra change.

To be honest, I don't always plan my pocket money with cash tipping in mind. So, sometimes, my tip might be part change. I never consider whether the tip is more acceptable as a ten dollar bill, or 12 quarters, 10 dimes, a single and a five. It's cash!!!!!

Now, leaving soda cans or bottles for the refund, did your Mom refund it or toss it? Obviously that was her choice. (Something we don't deal with here - no one gives bottle refunds in my area - the recycling people get them all.)

It's not that *she* was disdainful about the change, it's that I, as a very good tipper, was shocked. The fact that someone would leave a note that said "housekeeping tip" next to literally a few pennies (I'm talking less than 10) is shocking to me, sorry. Quarters, dimes, etc, would be a step up!

She's appreciative of whatever extra she gets, and doesn't expect a tip. Regardless of the tip, she provides a very high level of service to the guests because she takes pride in her work. I just can't imagine someone cleaning up after me and *not* tipping them. It seems foreign to me.

YES!!!! It's not that *she* got that vibe, it's that *I* did. To me, intentionally tipping just pennies is disrespectful. That's just my opinion.

I don't get why you feel that someone's decision over a few bucks needs to be informed?
Many do things (only) because they think they are supposed to/that it is required. I think it is important that people have the correct information & make an informed choice/decision.

How do you figure that is appropriate? It is customary to tip servers as a percentage of your bill.

Which has never made sense to me. I go out to a meal. My meal is $10, the tip is $1.50 - $2. Same restaurant my partners meal is $25, the tip $3.75 - $5. Why is this? IMO a per person tip makes more sense.

Which has never made sense to me. I go out to a meal. My meal is $10, the tip is $1.50 - $2. Same restaurant my partners meal is $25, the tip $3.75 - $5. Why is this? IMO a per person tip makes more sense.

So....what would your 'per person' tip be in these situations?

15 -20% would be what you indicated, but suppose the two people in your scenario dined together for a check of $35. My 20% would be $7. Do you give the aforementioned $5 per person?

If you do, in some situations, you would be considered an excellent tipper.

But - add on bread service, appetizers, wine, desserts, cordials, coffee, your $5 wouldn't cut it for the amount of actual service performed by the restaurant staff.

It's not that *she* was disdainful about the change, it's that I, as a very good tipper, was shocked. The fact that someone would leave a note that said "housekeeping tip" next to literally a few pennies (I'm talking less than 10) is shocking to me, sorry. Quarters, dimes, etc, would be a step up!

She's appreciative of whatever extra she gets, and doesn't expect a tip. Regardless of the tip, she provides a very high level of service to the guests because she takes pride in her work. I just can't imagine someone cleaning up after me and *not* tipping them. It seems foreign to me.

Yes, that would be a sorry tip, if it was designated as a tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter