Minimalist guide to Disneyland

Sunscreen should be reapplied every few hours, more often if you are prone to burning easily like my family is. We are pale West Coast Canadians, we burn on a cloudy day! :beach::umbrella:

Same here, West Coast Canuck, Irish heritage never once had to reapply at Disneyland and never been burned there *fingers crossed* (other places like Mexico, whole different story). I just find that for the most part I am never in the direct sunlight very long at DLR, all the rides have adequate shade in the lineups and I wear a hat.

I am curious about the water though, do you rent a car to go get it or do you get it delivered? There's got to be a hidden cost associated with that...I've never found renting a car to be worth it at DLR.

I agree that some people bring way too much stuff with them to the parks.

My biggest pet peeve is those who bring the stroller, not so much for the kids (who don't need it) but for their stuff.
Yes, I know what you mean...usually it is a double wide with one kid and is jam packed with 800 things lol.

See with the water I don't get why people bother:

- every kids meal comes with it already so there's three waters/drinks taken care of per child which is more than enough for them in a day
- the water you bring is cheaper, but there's no way it's cold like Dasani which lets face it is super refreshing
- adults, like 2 bottles each a day at most sure it's $13 a day for water much better than lugging a flat of water around. Also you need to go get that flat somehow...your not exactly carrying it down harbour blvd so there's a cost associated with getting it and anything near DLR is marked up significantly.
- You are carrying 6 bottles of water to the park with you every day, lugging them around to save $20 a day on your $5000 vacation (just not for me I guess)

2 bottles of water a day for an adult? No way. I easily drink AT LEAST double that on a normal day, let alone a hot day at Disneyland. Most people would be dehydrated after only drinking that much after a couple of days in the parks.

Same here, West Coast Canuck, Irish heritage never once had to reapply at Disneyland and never been burned there *fingers crossed* (other places like Mexico, whole different story). I just find that for the most part I am never in the direct sunlight very long at DLR, all the rides have adequate shade in the lineups and I wear a hat.

I am curious about the water though, do you rent a car to go get it or do you get it delivered? There's got to be a hidden cost associated with that...I've never found renting a car to be worth it at DLR.

We've had flats of water on 4 of our 7 trips so far. The first 3 we were ordering stuff from Von's delivery with free delivery for the first order. They do have a minimum $ for delivery but I usually get a flat of water, a case of diet pepsi (DH is addicted to that stuff!), sunscreen and some snacks. The last time we got the water, I connected with someone who was staying at the same hotel as us, arriving a day before us. I asked her to get a case for me and I sent her the $ to pay, no extra cost involved.

This next time we are hitting up Universal first and taking a town car to Anaheim. The cost includes a 20 minute stop at a grocery store, so again no extra cost.

We've had flats of water on 4 of our 7 trips so far. The first 3 we were ordering stuff from Von's delivery with free delivery for the first order. They do have a minimum $ for delivery but I usually get a flat of water, a case of diet pepsi (DH is addicted to that stuff!), sunscreen and some snacks. The last time we got the water, I connected with someone who was staying at the same hotel as us, arriving a day before us. I asked her to get a case for me and I sent her the $ to pay, no extra cost involved.

This next time we are hitting up Universal first and taking a town car to Anaheim. The cost includes a 20 minute stop at a grocery store, so again no extra cost.
Gotcha, I don't bother with snacks anymore. Something about the food there makes me feel full, all the time, no matter what or where I eat (and I am an eater, big time eater). Interesting about the town car, is it special deal (who is it?)

Wow, people are really defensive about their approach to what you haul or don't haul into the parks. I say to each their own, what you do for your family has no bearing on my trip. I'm not here to judge, just sharing what we have done in the past. I'll start off by admitting to being a terrible over packer most of the time, but I'm learning. ;)

When my girls were little and we had a stroller for them, we usually had the big packed diaper bag, snacks, water, autograph books, sweaters/jackets, etc. in the stroller and then a separate smaller bag for our cameras and other valuables.

Now that the girls are all older (13, 10 and 8) we managed a two week WDW trip with each of the girls and I only carrying in a small cross body bag with the essentials. Each girl's bag contained their autograph book and pen, gift cards, epi pen for the youngest, phone for the oldest, sunglasses and any other odds and ends they deemed necessary. The key here was that they had to carry the bags themselves and they never complained. They became experts in the bag check line by the second day. My bag contained my phone, gift cards, sunglasses, reservation numbers, a few emergency supplies like advil and allergy meds, chapstick, etc. DH and I usually each carried a water bottle from the room and we refilled these as needed to share among the five of us. A few times we grabbed a locker for jackets if we were planning a long day. Not once did I lug our big camera into the parks, preferring to take advantage of PhotoPass and using my phone which took great pictures.

This is the same strategy I hope to use for our DLR trip in August. However, I would almost guarantee we will have a couple in our group (going with extended family) who will bring as much as they can into the parks. I already know the grandparents are talking about packing lunches and snacks in with them.

One of the things I have learned over the years is the unnecessary burden that "stuff" has on my life and vacation, I am by no means great at it, but certainly when travelling I find it incredibly freeing to simply go and enjoy while not having to worry about carting things around on rides, around the park, and so on. Even a back pack, yes even a light one, wears on you over a 16 hour day in the park.

It's an interesting and freeing experience for me, I encourage people to try it - forgo the junk and enjoy everything the park has to offer.

My backpack doesn't keep me from enjoying anything the park has to offer. :) It simplifies things - I have what I need (none of it is junk), and a place to put anything I pick up along the way.. no need to run back to a locker or hotel room. I find it freeing to have what I need with me.

I have said this before in other threads, but I just wish that folks who carry large, fully stuffed backpacks would be mindful of those around them. I really do not like being bonked by a backpack.
I carry my ID, tickets, etc., in a very tiny crossbody purse, and my sunscreen, camera, etc., in a Jansport Half Pint.
I am the meal maker in my home so when I am on vacation, I refuse to prepare meals or snacks so everything is bought in DLR, a nice break for me.

Gotcha, I don't bother with snacks anymore. Something about the food there makes me feel full, all the time, no matter what or where I eat (and I am an eater, big time eater). Interesting about the town car, is it special deal (who is it?)

It's through Lansky's (used to be DK Livery Services). $95 for the three of us from Universal Studios to our hotel in Anaheim including: driver gratuity, a 20 minute grocery stop, complimentary bottled water and 5 point harness toddler seat or booster seat.

Lansky's

As for snacks, DS is like me, we don't eat large meals but instead we eat smaller meals and snacks.

I just wish that folks who carry large, fully stuffed backpacks would be mindful of those around them. I really do not like being bonked by a backpack.

I agree!

This really only happens to me in lines, and not frequently, but sometimes a person with a giant backpack is standing a little too close, and when they turn around they just whack you! I always say something (nicely) to the person, but not so nicely if I have to repeat it.

At what point is it the hottest there? I see everyone mentioning how HOT it is, and having to drink a lot of water. We went middle of June last year, and it was gorgeous and nice. I wouldn't say HOT at all. Then again, I'm from humid, sweltering Mississippi, so perhaps others definition of HOT to me, isn't at all? I thought it was lovely during the day, and cool at night. I agree with purchasing meals/snacks inside the parks... I'm already paying to get in, plus... There are always things I want to try! I have a cross-body Disney Vera Bradley that holds everything I need :)

At what point is it the hottest there? I see everyone mentioning how HOT it is, and having to drink a lot of water. We went middle of June last year, and it was gorgeous and nice. I wouldn't say HOT at all. Then again, I'm from humid, sweltering Mississippi, so perhaps others definition of HOT to me, isn't at all? I thought it was lovely during the day, and cool at night. I agree with purchasing meals/snacks inside the parks... I'm already paying to get in, plus... There are always things I want to try! I have a cross-body Disney Vera Bradley that holds everything I need :)

I would say our hottest months are August and September. Regularly 90s, sometimes over 100. The humidity can be in the teens if the conditions are right and that makes for a very hot, dry day.

We were just there in February and the temps got into the low 30's C, so mid to high 80's F. Our September trip a couple of years ago the temps topped out in the 40's C so into the 100's F. We're from BC where summer temps top out in the high 20's to low 30's max.

For me it isn't about bringing all or bringing nothing, but finding the right balance. I don't like carrying around a big/heavy backpack, but I don't like to spend a lot of money that could have been easily saved with a little planning. We have a family of 6 so I bring 2-3 water bottles to share. I bring the little lemonade packets to cover up the nasty tap water taste on refills. We bring a few snacks for emergencies, but end up eating mostly park food. (If we are in a long line and a young kid is having a meltdown because they are hungry, I am so glad when I have a granola bar!) Come to think of it, a huge Mickey sour dough bread is the best snack to carry around. We bring jackets for especially cold mornings/evenings. That has only happened a couple times that I can remember, but we store them in a locker most of the day. Overall we have one backpack that we share between the six of us.

I have said this before in other threads, but I just wish that folks who carry large, fully stuffed backpacks would be mindful of those around them. I really do not like being bonked by a backpack.
I carry my ID, tickets, etc., in a very tiny crossbody purse, and my sunscreen, camera, etc., in a Jansport Half Pint.
I am the meal maker in my home so when I am on vacation, I refuse to prepare meals or snacks so everything is bought in DLR, a nice break for me.

I agree. I have been whacked by protruding backpacks SO many times!

While I understand where you're coming from (and am a minimalist park-goer by myself), it wouldn't have worked when my DD was little, or when we start taking my grandkids.... While there's definitely inconvenience in carrying more things into the park, it's not just "a few dollars" I'm saving... For instance: (prices approximate)

12 pack of water bottles at 7-11: $7
1 bottle of water in park: $3.25
Savings: $32 per 12-pack (times this by the 3 days we are in the park, and I've saved $96 by packing my family's water); tap water at DLR isn't an option for us, or we could be saving much more!

1 locker to keep sweatshirts in: $7
1 sweatshirt for me in park: $60
1 sweatshirt for DH in park: $60
1 sweatshirt for DD in park: $40
Savings: $153

3 snack-size lunchables from 7-11: $6
3 snacks in park: $15
Savings: $9

On a trip with our grandsons, a small diaper bag with 3 diapers and a change of clothes for baby (and a shirt for me) means that we would probably head to the hotel at least twice a day because I'm covered in baby puke, or the diaper exploded, or our relatively newly potty-trained little guy waits a little too long. If we say 2 trips back to the hotel, that's approximately 60-90 minutes we've spent not enjoying Disneyland, just because I didn't want to pack a larger diaper bag (to have in the locker that I "purchased" in the above example). I'd much rather spend $7 to throw some things in a locker than heading back through the whole park, out the exit gates, through the esplanade, through the pedestrian entrance, across the street, down the length of our hotel (at Park Vue), unload 3 kids from the stroller, get 5 people through the bathroom, a baby (and/or me, and/or toddler) changed, disconnect 3 kids from their toys that they managed to find while everyone potties, pack everyone back into the stroller, lock up the hotel room, walk the length of the hotel, wait for the light, cross the street, walk down the entrance, through bag check where I have to unpack the stroller to find the minimalist diaper bag, then find the tickets to get into Disneyland, wait in line, get through the gates, and then try to remember where we were (or agree on where to go).... Holy cow, I'm tired just thinking about it! ;) Props to parents who go minimalist in the parks!!

I think it just depends on what is important to any specific family. And, as with everything, one size doesn't fit all.

This was a page or so back, but someone mentioned adults buying maybe 2 bottles of water per day and each kid getting one bottle with each meal purchased. But in what world is that enough water? I drink almost 1.5 gallons of water per day myself. I would rather carry one around in a bag and refill in than spend $20 just on my own water, let alone beverages for everyone else in my party.

I'm not saying it's bad to go the buy it all there route because in some ways, I prefer just that, but there are some items that is just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on unless you have a ton of extra money lying around.

This was a page or so back, but someone mentioned adults buying maybe 2 bottles of water per day and each kid getting one bottle with each meal purchased. But in what world is that enough water? I drink almost 1.5 gallons of water per day myself. I would rather carry one around in a bag and refill in than spend $20 just on my own water, let alone beverages for everyone else in my party.

I'm not saying it's bad to go the buy it all there route because in some ways, I prefer just that, but there are some items that is just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on unless you have a ton of extra money lying around.
Everyone is different I guess. Some people don't like to fill their empty bottles using a tap or drinking fountain. Oh well.

I definitely would prefer to go minimalist but if my kids are with us (which has been 4 out of 5 trips) we have to bring a backpack to hold DS9's noise cancelling headphones and sometimes a comfort item (some trips it's a tablet/3DS other times it is his stuffed dog) to help prevent or manage when he gets overstimulated and DS5 is diabetic which means no less than a blood sugar meter, and fast acting carbohydrate and snack in case we're deep in a line when he has low blood sugar (which to be honest at DLR with so many treats he gets, this is not common!). I try to keep it to a smaller sized backpack as my DH and I both dislike lugging it around, so on top of kid essentials I usually just add refillable water bottles (2) and make sure to stop at CS places for ice water or refill stations as often as possible. I also have the basics I'd normally put in a small crossbody purse like room key, id, ticket, credit card, a travel sized sunscreen, cell phone and my little canon camera. We plan our shopping when we are leaving the parks for a midday break or for the night so we only have to lug souvenirs briefly back to the hotel. I enjoy eating the food in the parks, so I make sure our budget accounts for that when we do to DLR now - I appreciated bringing in snacks to save money when we had a stroller to schlep around our ten tons of stuff though, it made our first vacation very doable and convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter