Mini review of Pop, Oct 15-20

J'aime Paris

Living happily ever after
We booked 2 rooms at Pop Century for my DD's Sweet 16. Thought I'd report back my opinions.

Pros:
Cute Theme--we liked the decades and huge icons
Pools-- fun and never crowded
Rooms--booked standard, 2 connecting. We got building 6 in the 70's, third floor facing the lake. Very nice view. Rooms were connecting as requested.
Check-in--super easy! Did online check-in and everything was ready to go when we walked up
Food court--decent food and selection
Magic Bands--convenient!! We had no problems opening doors, all 4 bands opened both rooms. Worked every time for park tickets and MNSSHP.
All 4 of us had charging privileges and was super easy for the teens to go off on their own. They had money on their wrists.

Cons:
Location--If you spend a lot of time at Magic Kingdom, stay somewhere else!!! The bus ride was so long, especially at the end of a long day. And we had to stand almost every ride.
Buses--While it's true that POP doesn't share with other resorts, there are many people staying at POP. Waiting for 2 or even 3 buses (for MK) was common.
I do have a gripe with wheelchair/scooter users and the bus system. Busses need to be accessible for folks who use mobility devises--that's fair. What's not fair is the fact that I've been waiting for a bus for 25 minutes, and the wheelchair/scooter user rolls up and gets on a bus immediately. Not fair! I had to wait 25 minutes to load, so should you. And because that person and their family took my seat, I have to wait for the 3rd bus. All the WDW busses are handicap accessible. The drivers should fill a couple of busses with people who have been waiting, then load the wheelchair/scooter users. They can wait just like everyone else. FAIR…
Food court--chaos at busy times, so glad we ate breakfast in room

Summary:
I would not stay here again. While it served our purpose and we liked much of the resort, we realized that location is a big factor for us. We will stay at MK or Epcot area resorts in the future. Those are the 2 parks we spend most of our time.

I agree with your comment about fairness and the busses. My son, now 22, has used a scooter or wheelchair his whole life. We have passed on boarding a bus because the people in line had been waiting longer than us. We also do not have our whole group board with us. They wait in the regular bus line. This way when they get to the front of line we know we have waited our turn. I believe it is the responsibility of the person waiting in line to prevent this from happening. This of course more times than not will not happen because of the belief of entitlements. This also holds true when parents allow small children to take a seat instead of sitting on their lap or allowing their teen to sit while an elderly person has to stand on the bus. I wish I had an easy answer to this but I fear it will continue to happen.

Pop is my favorite resort !! I love the room and it's decor! I like 60's, lake view, that way we overlook AofA!
the issues you raise concerning transportation is indicative of all resorts services by buses, not a Pop issue. while I understand your frustration, I won't consign on it. WDW works very hard at park closing not to have people waiting forever and ever for a bus. I will wait for a bus so I don't have to stand. those needing assistance should get it, and I won't complain about them getting on the bus before me. with all the disabilities out there, I'm blessed to be have to walk, stand, or run!

I use a scooter, and I understand that the heat and the endless walking makes everyone tired, and they all want desperately to get on the bus. I have waited and been bypassed by buses with broken ramps, or already full of riders and nobody wants to give up the marked handicap seats so scooters have a spot to board. During crunch times at the parks, there's been extra buses that have pulled alongside the current bus (on the far side) but only the walking are allowed to board these buses. In another scenario, I've approached the bus stop and there were 3-5 scooters already waiting. The typical Disney bus loads 2 scooters, so that means I'd have to wait for the second or third bus to my destination before I could get on. None of this is uncommon.

Scooter and wheelchair guests board the bus first, for safety reasons, but they also exit last. When the walking guests get off the bus at their destination, do they ever turn around and observe that the mobility-impaired are left waiting for everyone to get unloaded before the driver helps them off? Does that make it more fair for the OP?

I use a scooter, and I understand that the heat and the endless walking makes everyone tired, and they all want desperately to get on the bus. I have waited and been bypassed by buses with broken ramps, or already full of riders and nobody wants to give up the marked handicap seats so scooters have a spot to board. During crunch times at the parks, there's been extra buses that have pulled alongside the current bus (on the far side) but only the walking are allowed to board these buses. In another scenario, I've approached the bus stop and there were 3-5 scooters already waiting. The typical Disney bus loads 2 scooters, so that means I'd have to wait for the second or third bus to my destination before I could get on. None of this is uncommon.

Scooter and wheelchair guests board the bus first, for safety reasons, but they also exit last. When the walking guests get off the bus at their destination, do they ever turn around and observe that the mobility-impaired are left waiting for everyone to get unloaded before the driver helps them off? Does that make it more fair for the OP?

My experience was my experience. And I started my post declaring these are my opinions.
While I'm sure you've encountered the scenarios you've described, I didn't see any broken ramps or people that would not give up their seats. In fact, a bus driver made a family give up their seats to accommodate a scooter. I did not encounter 5 scooters waiting either, although I'm sure this happens. And I don't believe it is possible to unload a scooter/wheelchair first when there are 50 people standing in your way.

My experience was my experience. And I started my post declaring these are my opinions.
While I'm sure you've encountered the scenarios you've described, I didn't see any broken ramps or people that would not give up their seats. In fact, a bus driver made a family give up their seats to accommodate a scooter. I did not encounter 5 scooters waiting either, although I'm sure this happens. And I don't believe it is possible to unload a scooter/wheelchair first when there are 50 people standing in your way.

Well I am sure that those people who are wheelchair or scooter bound would gladly switch with you and be able to walk in a heartbeat. But I forgot everything in this world is all about what the individual wants and forget everyone else because our world has become such a selfish place;)

Okay, you don't like how Walt Disney World handles boarding mobility devices on its buses. Got it.

Transportation issues are best addressed to a Transportation Manager, and in a timely manner (i.e. while onsite), not on any internet forum.

Five days' experience makes nobody an expert.

Not every person using a mobility device is "bound" to it. It's safer for everyone if a person using an ECV moves to a seat.

Some of the posters here are whhelchair-bound, or travel with someone who is, or are simply compassionate.

Because one person notices/observes some actions or events but not others doesn't preclude the negative experiences described by mobility device users.

Calling posters names isn't going to garner any fans.

I understand that op didn't mean to be offensive. I also understand that when its hot and you have been waiting for a long time the scooter thing is frustrating. That said, my grandmother is 100 years old and in a wheelchair. The buses are so rough for her we generally take cabs if we are going somewhere without monorail/boat access. After having traveled with someone who requires extra assistance I would happily wait for a second or third bus in order to get them and their party on.

I agree with your comment about fairness and the busses. My son, now 22, has used a scooter or wheelchair his whole life. We have passed on boarding a bus because the people in line had been waiting longer than us. We also do not have our whole group board with us. They wait in the regular bus line. This way when they get to the front of line we know we have waited our turn. I believe it is the responsibility of the person waiting in line to prevent this from happening. This of course more times than not will not happen because of the belief of entitlements. This also holds true when parents allow small children to take a seat instead of sitting on their lap or allowing their teen to sit while an elderly person has to stand on the bus. I wish I had an easy answer to this but I fear it will continue to happen.

What a great post. I have stayed at POP many times and it kills me how people allow teens to take seats while parents are standing holding one child while trying to keep another from falling. It does not help that they insist on filling them beyond capacity.

Agreeing with the OP about wheelchair/scooter bound guests being able to board as soon as they arrive at a bus stop before guests who have been waiting longer (sometimes MUCH longer) does not mean you hate people with disabilities, are insensitive to them, or think you and your family are entitled to anything/everything. It can just be something that you don't agree with or that irks you while in WDW.

And, just because you or a loved one are in a wheelchair/scooter, it doesn't mean you'll automatically disagree with the OP, as seen by mara512's post.

There are so many opinions posted on here that I agree with but don't respond to, because the poster gets called insensitive or uncaring when all they're doing is letting off steam or mentioning a pet peeve or dislike. It's gotten to the point where I find it so overly annoying! I can't stand sitting next to a small child on someone's lap on the busses to the parks, when the child swings their legs and touches me. It's annoying and I always want to move their leg. I don't. I also don't pray for them to vanish into thin air, or wish Disney would ban children, or start thinking kids shouldn't be on busses or laps. I have kids who used to be that small and still have nephews that age. Most (well, some ;) ) of the kids who kick me are cute. I don't think the parents are bad parents or lazy or too self absorbed to see what their kids are doing. It's not a big deal. It's just something that gets on my nerves. Same as anyone just coming up and getting on a bus that I've been waiting 20-30 minutes for.

everyone has their opinions! I love this board and want to continue to read it for informational purposes. the OP generated a post on their experiences regarding their stay at Pop and then stated concerns about transportation to/from Pop.
those in scooters stay at ALL resorts, so the problems that the OP has at Pop would be at the All Stars or at the Grand Floridian.
those in scooters have the right to get on any bus anywhere as anyone else. first, last or in between! does it really matter? everybody wants to get somewhere. just wait your turn! you don't want to wait, except use your other options.
no one is under any obligation to give up their seat for anyone. you don't want to stand with your sleeping child in your arms, wait for the next bus. BTW- I get up for those in need!

The OP indicated wheelchair/scooter bus policy as a gripe, and described the alternative she considers FAIR (word copied directly from original post, including case).

She likely didn't notice groups like mara512's family, because they didn't take her seats or space on any bus. Does anybody not with a mobiity device guest actually hang around the bus after exiting to observe when those passengers disembark? And frankly, I'd be stunned if every single time she approached a bus queue there wasn't already at least one mobility device guest waiting. She (or any other approaching guest) has now way of knowing how many buses didn't/couldn't transport that person.

And it absolutely is possible to unload a wheelchair/ECV passenger from a full bus. Ask any user who's stayed at a multiple bus stop resort.

1.Okay, you don't like how Walt Disney World handles boarding mobility devices on its buses. Got it.

2.Transportation issues are best addressed to a Transportation Manager, and in a timely manner (i.e. while onsite), not on any internet forum.

3.Five days' experience makes nobody an expert.

4.Not every person using a mobility device is "bound" to it. It's safer for everyone if a person using an ECV moves to a seat.

5.Some of the posters here are whhelchair-bound, or travel with someone who is, or are simply compassionate.

6.Because one person notices/observes some actions or events but not others doesn't preclude the negative experiences described by mobility device users.

7.Calling posters names isn't going to garner any fans.

1. Good
2. I did talk to a manager at POP and shared my thoughts. And these forums are exactly the place WDW visitors share our experiences.
3. Never said I was.
4. Never said that either.
5. OK and I do have compassion for people in that situation.
6. I acknowledged that in response to POOHsie. It also doesn't preclude my experience either, based on your logic.
7. Read lustergirls post.

TSK... TSK.. TSK.. And this is why I don't check this board anymore.. Everyone (or most) take things too personal. And there's grammar police too! I didn't know your English have to perfect in order to post here. Sad.. so sad.. I don't think there's ever a thread I have come across where it's civilized without one getting criticized. Anyway.. :rolleyes2 Yes.. I guess whenever I feel I need to be entertained.. DIS is the place to go to. RAWRrr! Carry on people..

Thanks for your mini review of POP. We are debating between trying this resort or going back to POFQ. We loved POFQ but are thinking of trying a different place for something new and also to save a little money.
How comfortable were the rooms and beds? Were you able to go over to AoA at all and try their food court?
I realize buses can be long at any resort so I don't take that into much consideration for where I choose to stay. When we stay onsite we always use the Disney transportation just to have a break from driving.

Thanks for your mini review of POP. We are debating between trying this resort or going back to POFQ. We loved POFQ but are thinking of trying a different place for something new and also to save a little money.
How comfortable were the rooms and beds? Were you able to go over to AoA at all and try their food court?
I realize buses can be long at any resort so I don't take that into much consideration for where I choose to stay. When we stay onsite we always use the Disney transportation just to have a break from driving.

I'm a fan of POFQ, so I wouldn't recommend POP over it. But in response to your questions, the beds were fine. Doubles, if that matters. We had 2 adults and 2 teens, split between 2 rooms. I would feel a bit cramped with more than 2 in a value room (non-suite).
We did walk over to AoA. Their pool area was so awesome!!! We went into the main building to browse the gift shop, and saw the food court. We did not eat there, but it looked way cool!

Were you waiting for a second or third bus to get to MK or back from MK?

We were there this time last year and stayed at Pop. We like to get to the parks for rope drop and never waited for more than one bus. It's very possible people arriving at MK later had to wait for more than one, I'm not sure about that.

As for leaving in the evening, we were in line for Splash at closing. After that we stopped in a few different spots to take pictures. By the time we got to the buses we made it on the first one.

I'm saying all of this because I'm trying to figure out if you tour differently than us or if your dates we more crowded than mine.

We loved Pop and plan to go back in the future.:goodvibes

What a great post. I have stayed at POP many times and it kills me how people allow teens to take seats while parents are standing holding one child while trying to keep another from falling. It does not help that they insist on filling them beyond capacity.

The thing is because Disney does insist on filling the buses beyond capacity I feel that it is unsafe for my kids. I also have vertigo issues and so being seated is much easier for me. What we did last year and will again next year is wait on the side for a second empty bus while allowing other people to load if it looks like we will not get a seat. We always stay at the values so the bus ride to MK and DTD especially is quite long. Yes, it did take us longer to get to our destination but for us the trade off was worth it.
It is wrong to get on a packed bus and then criticize people for not giving you (general you) their seat. If the bus is full and you have older people or small children do what we do and wait for another bus. It is usually around a 10 minute wait during busy times. The safety/comfort of your family is your responsibility. Why would someone who chose to wait for a second bus to make sure their family was seated then give up their seat to someone who did not feel it was important enough to wait but then expected a seat to be given to them?

Thanks for your mini review of POP. We are debating between trying this resort or going back to POFQ. We loved POFQ but are thinking of trying a different place for something new and also to save a little money. How comfortable were the rooms and beds? Were you able to go over to AoA at all and try their food court? I realize buses can be long at any resort so I don't take that into much consideration for where I choose to stay. When we stay onsite we always use the Disney transportation just to have a break from driving.

I love Pop. Could stay at any of the resorts but choose Pop because of theme. I have never had a problem with the beds and I have a bad back. Size of the room is the same as a normal hotel room. You can easily walk over the bridge to AOA to eat or shop. For the price I think Pop is the best

Were you waiting for a second or third bus to get to MK or back from MK?

We were there this time last year and stayed at Pop. We like to get to the parks for rope drop and never waited for more than one bus. It's very possible people arriving at MK later had to wait for more than one, I'm not sure about that.

As for leaving in the evening, we were in line for Splash at closing. After that we stopped in a few different spots to take pictures. By the time we got to the buses we made it on the first one.

I'm saying all of this because I'm trying to figure out if you tour differently than us or if your dates we more crowded than mine.

We loved Pop and plan to go back in the future.:goodvibes

Both there and back. We attempted rope drop, but didn't make it on time due to bus line. Left room at 7am for 8am opening, and we were riding the bus when 8am came around. At night, we rarely stay until closing. Maybe we hit it at a bad time, because we waited for 3 buses then too. It was fall break for many children-and was noticeably busier that what we are used to seeing. That could have been part of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter