Mine Train - back issues

LoveToTravel2001

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
i checked the FAQs but Mine Train is not listed. Can anyone tell me how rough the ride is? DD is recovering from spine surgery and I know that the three mountains are out for our upcoming trip but was wondering about this ride.
Thoughts?

I thought it was pretty smooth all things considering. Maybe a jolt or two when it slows down in the cave, but I didn't find it rough at all.

ive only ridden it once so I don't remember if there are rough spots.

But I feel for your daughter. We took a Disney/Universal trip once when I had a fracture in my spine and I had to sit out any ride where there was a chance I could experience a jolt at the risk of being paralyzed. I missed so much on that trip and at 10 years old it was devastating. But, as my mom reminded me, the parks aren't going anywhere. We could always go back and ride rides, but if I did irreparable damage to my back I might never be able to ride some of the rides ever again.

Its a very smooth ride...much smoother than BTMRR and much, much smoother than Space Mtn. But, the ride itself hasn't been perfected yet. While standing near 'Be Our Guest', I noticed several trains making a rapid stop on a flat section. It was rapid enough that I could easily see it as a problem for someone with spinal issues. I imagine they'll work this out...maybe its a software issue, but do be careful.

i checked the FAQs but Mine Train is not listed. Can anyone tell me how rough the ride is? DD is recovering from spine surgery and I know that the three mountains are out for our upcoming trip but was wondering about this ride.
Thoughts?

Well, only her Dr. can really know what she 'should' do, but this is my take on the ride. I haven't ridden coasters in years because of neck issues, but wanted to ride this one soooo bad!!! We were there a few weeks ago, and dh & I rode it twice!

It is the 'smoothest' riding coaster, ever! The gentle swaying of the cars in the turns make it not so jerky - which is what I have to avoid. It 'is' fast, but that isn't an issue with me.

But, with your dd just recovering from spine surgery - probably best to get her doctor's input!! Hope you can experience it! 8-)

Thought i'd slip in here quickly and add my comments ... yes it looked smooth, yes most people have no problems ... we had the misfortune of riding in the last car when the train stopped quite suddenly just shy of the "station" both hubby and myself had our heads snap back and hit the head rest. Of course the CM's all apologized to all of us in the train and no-one was more than slightly startled BUT hubby soon was complaining of stiff neck. No biggie ... that's what happens when you get a tad ancient .. all i'm trying to say is that as my granny used to say "not everything is as advertised " I would super careful with any ride that has the possibility of any sudden stops when a spinal injury is in question. Have a GREAT trip!!

The mine train is very smooth, but its just a ride and over so quick that for me it wouldn't be worth it if there was any risk. It's not going anywhere, maybe put it off for another time.

Thank you for all the input. I had to ask because the guide map just says expectant mothers should not ride. It does not have the same red triangle that the other mountains have. The surgeon has said - nothing with a back warning. But having never ridden this one, I have no way of knowing how jerky it would be.

Almost every ride has a back and pregnancy warning - Disney is covering their butts! I wouldn't be surprised if Small World had one lol. I've had three spine fusion surgeries and unfortunately understand the back issues. My last trip I was only 6 weeks out of a fusion surgery - I DID ride the Mine Train and was a little nervous but it was gloriously smooth! I was sitting in the very front row, I would definitely avoid the back rows of ANY coaster. I would skip Space Mountain, I have found that to be one of the worst rides on Disney Property for my back. But that is not counting something like Kali River or Splash Mountain which bump into the side walls as part of the ride.

edit: My doctor told me to use my judgement on these things. In most cases you can look at a ride and know you shouldn't risk it.

Rode this with my grand daughter at least 10 times. There is a significant jolt as you start to go up the main hill. So much so that I always put my hand behind my granddaughters head so she does not hit the back of it on her seat when the jolt hits. other then that I found the ride smooth.

I had not added this to the disABILITIES FAQs thread because the only warning was for expectant mothers not to ride.
I did add the information there now because people would probably expect it has a warning. This picture is from the Disney website.
image.jpg

My husband's spine is fusing together, which causes him a lot of pain and limited mobility. I also have some back issues myself (herniated discs). I have ridden the ride several times with no issues. I begged my husband to give it a try because of how smooth it is. When he got off, he insisted he would never go on it again, as it made his neck/back move in ways that it simply can't because of the fusing and did not agree with me that it was smooth enough for him.

I personally disagree about it being 'smooth'. Yes, we rode it 3 times and I loved it, but we were definitely swinging around quite a bt and the G-forces are quite high in some of the turns. If I'd just had back surgery I definitely would NOT ride it! As has been said, the ride isn't going anywhere, and it's ALWAYS better safe than sorry when your spine is involved!!

Ultimately she decided to skip it on this trip. If it were going to be our only trip to the World, she says she would have done it. But since she knows we will be back, she'll wait to do it next trip. She just decided it wasn't worth the chance of it hurting and then being uncomfortable the rest of the day. But thank you for all the input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter