Mince Pie In The Sky - A Hopeful Pre-trip Report

Is it two free bags with international travel or is that only on certain lines?

The airline that I work for allows two pieces, but it is not practical to fly to the USA via Dubai also we now have a Milan New York route that may work for us. Everybody else only allows one bag nowadays, but an extra bag is only about $50 so that is not too bad.

Corinna

Your plans are firming up nicely. I would be freaking out if I didn't have my cruise reservation this far out!

I hope that everything else comes together as well!

Your plans are firming up nicely. I would be freaking out if I didn't have my cruise reservation this far out!

I hope that everything else comes together as well!

I can assure you, it does not sit easy with me either. I want nothing more than add another ticker to my signature. Of course, I am now playing Russian roulette with another vacation, too. I just booked leave for the Westbound Panama Canal cruise on the Wonder and I have no idea if this will happen.

Corinna

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

I did Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party for the first time last year and I have to say in the run up to it, I was in two minds about this. I had done Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Walt Disney World before and also Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland and I had a ball. However, this was mainly because I was allowed to wear a costume in the park and also got to go trick or treating, which I never got to do as a child. I knew those two elements would not be part of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Still, I heard from various people how magical it is so I decided to give it a go. The party was already in full swing when I got there as I did not arrive until about 19:30. Because I did not expect that I would particularly enjoy it, I was in no rush to get there. How wrong can one be? I had an absolute blast.

I am not sure if this was the case with Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, too, but there were a lot of characters out and about for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party that I had never seen before and I did not even manage to find them all. It was great to see the princes out with their princesses, all seven dwarfs, but the highlight for me was meeting Scrooge McDuck . As a child I read Disney comic books in which Scrooge McDuck played a major role. Of course, the irony of having somebody named Scrooge at a Christmas party was not lost on me either.

Another highlight was the castle projection show followed by Holiday Wishes. I was not too impressed by Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas Time Parade. Part of the reason for this was that Disneyland Paris used to have an absolutely spectacular Christmas parade that I was lucky enough to see on a few occasions. Part of it was also that I don't think I was in the best spot to watch it. I was right at the far end of Frontierland near the starting point of the parade. It was very crowded even though this was the second parade of the evening. Once the parade was finished, we were stuck behind the rope until the parade turned off at the Hall of Presidents. This time round, I will either watch it near Hall of Presidents or on Main Street. Both spots have the advantage that they have places nearby where the free cookies and hot chocolate are available and also should allow to move to different parts of the park quite quickly once the parade has passed. I rather like the idea of enjoying cookies and hot chocolate while waiting for the parade.

I mentioned that one of the main draws of the Halloween parties was being able to dress up. Of course, this is not an option at the Christmas party, but I still decided to get in the spirit of things. I am hoping to get a lot of photos on my Photopass that night so I thought wearing something special would be fun. I was a bit on the fence about one of the dresses that I had chosen for the cruise anyway and decided on this combo, which looks very Christmassy.

I used to use the parties as an opportunity to do the rides with shorter wait times, but I missed so much doing this. This time round, I am planning to enter the park at 16:00 and use the first 3 hours to do some rides, but once the party has started, I will concentrate on all the things that are unique to the party. Of course, there is nothing stopping me from making an exception when I encounter a ride that normally has long lines with a very short waiting time. Last year I was thrilled to find Peter Pan's Flight with next to no line. However the evening turns out, I know I will have a fantastic time.

The dress is beautiful. I've still not done any of the parties, there's always so much else I want to do and my holiday trips have not been long ones.

Are you going to wait and book the Panama Canal cruise later?

The dress is beautiful. I've still not done any of the parties, there's always so much else I want to do and my holiday trips have not been long ones.

Are you going to wait and book the Panama Canal cruise later?

The parties are great fun.

We can only do the Panama Canal Cruise if they release deals like they did for the cruises this year. Next year is the year where we will do the big trip where we will go to Disneyland for the holiday season, to Aulani and do a Hawaii cruise on the Pride of America. This will be a really expensive trip so there is not much budget left for the spring trip.

Corinna

Magic Kingdom

Last year I managed to go on very few rides as it was so crazy busy. I still had an amazing time just focusing on the Christmas decorations and the characters. I have to admit though that I missed the rides. So I am hoping to put this right this year. As I will be getting Photopass+ this time round, I may do a couple of rides that I normally don't do: Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. I don't think I have done either at Walt Disney World since our honeymoon in 1998. Of course, much depends on the waiting times and how brave I feel on the day. There is no question mark over the final ride that is included in Photopass+. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is one of my favourite rides and I am hoping to do this a few times.

I am hoping that I finally get to do Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid. I have done this a few times at Disney California Adventure, but when I was at Magic Kingdom last year, this ride was down whenever I was in the area. I am also planning to ride It's A Small World and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh while I am at Fantasyland. I also want the check out Princess Fairytale Hall. I am not really into the Princesses, but I have seen some photos of the location recently and this looks stunning. So I definitely want to check this out. I think that I will probably go and see Rapunzel rather than Cinderella, but much will depend on who has the shorter line.

Haunted Mansion is a must for me. I have always loved this ride. Then it is time to cross over into Frontierland and do another old favourite, Big Thunder Mountain. If I feel brave and the waiting time is not too long, I will do Splash Mountain while I am there. Then it is time to cross into Adventureland to ride Pirates of the Caribbean and to get a Dole Whip.

Somewhere in the middle of this, I need to find some time to defeat some villains. I really got into The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom last year and I am looking forward to playing again. If I remember correctly, I left off at Fantasyland. Of course, I am also hoping to meet a few characters and get some Photopass photos.

This looks like quite a lot to do, but I will have a full day plus at least 3 hours before the party. I may how ever decide to come in earlier than that depending on how my morning goes. So I should have plenty of time as long as the parks are not crazy busy.

Hopefully most rides will be 15 minutes or less of a wait. That's one of the reasons I love going in early December. Of course some of them will still be long. I think BTMR has a new interactive queue but I haven't seen it yet.

15 minute waits sound heavenly. I have never been that time of the year. I know Soarin and Toy Story Mania will still be busy, but I am planning to hit Soarin at rope drop and get to do Toy Story Mania at DISapalooza. Yes, I heard about the interactive queue at BTMRR as well and I still have not seen the interactive queue for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh either.

Corinna

I am squealing in delight at the moment. I just logged into My Disney Experience and I saw a new welcome screen. It invited me to customize my Magic Band (which unfortunately disappeared as soon as I tried to click on it), but it let me also access the Fastpass + selections. At the moment I only have a valid ticket for 10th December as I will attend Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party that day and have linked the ticket to My Disney Experience. It is showing 6th to 10th December as eligible days subject to me having a valid ticket. As I will renew my annual pass as soon as my old one has expired and will link the Will Call Confirmation Number to My Disney Experience, I am hoping that it will then let me make Fastpass+ selections for the 11th as well. Anyway, I have selected the following Fastpasses:

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Magic Kingdom
Space Mountain® – 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® – 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Splash Mountain® – 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM

If I can get Fastpass + for the 11th December as well, I think I go with the Little Mermaid ride, Enchanted Tales with Belle and maybe the Rapunzel meet and greet.

The big decision will be what I do on my split day. I will spend the morning at Animal Kingdom and plan to do Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest and Dinosaur, but the main focus will be the Christmas decorations and maybe a couple of characters. I am then planning on heading to Hollywood Studios mid afternoon and I am planning to be brave and do Rock'n'Rollercoaster, maybe (a big maybe) Tower of Terror and I love Toy Story Mania. I am not too bothered about Toy Story Mania as I will be attending an after hours event at Toy Story Mania that evening so I will get to ride then. Would you use Fastpass + at Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios if you were in my shoes?

Corinna

I would get the FPs for Hollywood Studios if that's the park you are going to later in the day
If you are at AK in the morning, you can easily get the headliners done before checking out the Christmas decorations without using FPs
If you don't want to get at Toy Story Mania FP+ then Rock n Roll Roller Coaster, TOT and Start Tours are a nice threesome :)
Have you done on-line check in?
Many people are reporting that if they go to modify my check in, the magic band customisation reappears even if they just go through the motions and don't actually modify anything :)

I have done online check in for Animal Kingdom Lodge, but need to do it for Beach Club Villas (the window opened today). When I accessed My Disney Experience again, where it before said Magic Bands and Cards, it now says Customize Magic Bands. I have ordered a blue one for Animal Kingdom Lodge and a pink one for Beach Club Villas.

Star Tours is not really my thing. I suppose I really love Toy Story Mania so I could always do it in the afternoon as well.

As far as Animal Kingdom is concerned, I am planning to head to Kilimanjaro Safari first and hopefully the wait should be OK. Dinosaur is not normally bad for waiting times and there is single rider for Expedition Everest, so yes, it makes sense to use my Fastpass + allocation for Hollywood Studios.

Corinna

Sounds like your plans are coming along nicely! You bought the DVC AP last year right? Do you know how much it is to renew it, is it back to the old price?

Yes, I got the DVC Premium Pass, but that is now back to the normal price so I will downgrade to the normal Annual Pass, which will do precisely what I need.

Corinna

I think I'll have to bite the bullet and keep the premium, I was surprised how much I loved the water parks. I'm ok until March so have time to decide what to do.

I got it last year, because it was such a good deal. I only used if for the 4 main parks though. This year we have a free ticket for Aquatica and that is right across the road from the hotel so I am definitely not venturing to the Disney water parks.

Corinna

I have already shared some information about the hotel where we will spend the bulk of this trip, but if all goes according to plan, we will rest out weary heads in a total of 6 beds. Long gone are the times where we spend an entire holiday in one place. Here is the rest of the line up.

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

This has become a bit of a tradition. Even though we only live a 15 minutes train journey from Manchester airport, for most of our trips to the USA, we spent the night before we fly at the Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport. I can get travel industry rates there most of the time, which makes this even sweeter. I know that once I have checked in at the hotel, my holiday has begun. I managed to get a club room this time round. So when I finish work that day, I will head straight to the airport hotel and will chill out in the club lounge until Graham joins me. I am hoping that he will be there in time for pre-dinner drinks and then we can head over to Sampans, one of my favourite restaurants anywhere in the world. After this, we will get a good night's sleep. The beds in the club rooms are huge. We are always joking that you need to pack a picnic to get from one side to the other. In the morning, we have the choice between a continental breakfast in the Club Lounge or a full cooked breakfast in the restaurant. We usually go with the Club Lounge as neither of us is particularly hungry early in the morning. Once we had breakfast, we can just check out and take the shuttle over to the terminal.

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of my favourite hotels anywhere and definitely my favourite hotel at Walt Disney World. Getting to stay there this trip is also an unexpected bonus. I had originally looked for a studio for one night as I am attending an after hours event at Hollywood Studios one evening and then plan to be at Epcot for rope drop the next day. When I first started looking, no studios were available anywhere for that night. So I ended up paying for a night at All Star Sports. Fortunately when I was browsing the DVC site a few weeks later, a studio at Jambo House had popped up. I grabbed this with both hands and cancelled my reservation at All Star Sports. It is a shame that I won't really have time to enjoy this beautiful resort, but I still will get to see the Christmas decorations and eat Zebra Domes. I will also set my alarm for an hour earlier so that I can enjoy my morning coffee on the balcony. This will be my 4th night in the USA so my body clock should still be on UK time and getting up should not be an issue. I have now done my online check in and have requested an Arusha Savannah view.

Holiday Inn Port of Miami/ Downtown

This is largely an unknown, but we have stayed at Holiday Inns in all kinds of places and never had a problem. I was looking for a hotel that would be centrally located and did not break the bank. I initially looked around the airport as this seemed to be the easiest option to drop of the car, but I was either concerned about the quality of the hotel or the prices made my eyes water. So I expanded my search towards the port and came across this hotel. This hotel seems to get decent reviews and is only 0.5 of a mile from the port. So with a bit of luck, I should see the Magic come in or at least see her as soon as I am up. The hotel does have a swimming pool and is very close to the Bayside Market Place, which should take care of dinner. The best aspect is that I managed to get a very good travel industry rate. As we will spend most of the day driving, we just need somewhere clean to sleep really. Depending on when we get to the hotel, we probably have a quick swim to unknot all the muscles, grab some dinner and then head for bed. The next morning, it will be a question of getting up, get some breakfast and head for the port.

Beach Club Villas

This has been on the to do list for a little while and I was really hoping to stay there last year as part of our split stay, but I could not get availability at the 7 months mark so we stayed at the Boardwalk instead. We really loved the Boardwalk, but this just made my determination stronger to one day stay at the Beach Club especially as we had a few meals at the Beach and Yacht Club and spent some time exploring. I was both surprised and delighted when I found availability for a studio at Beach Club Villas only 3.5 months out. I snapped this up straightaway. I will be in a hurry getting back from Miami as I can't wait to have a swim at Stormalong Bay. I am also looking forward to seeing the Christmas decorations at Yacht and Beach Club again.

I need to find time for an extra ride.

From the Disney Parks Blog:

We just got word from our friends in Walt Disney Imagineering that an Adventureland attraction will receive its first-ever holiday makeover this year. Beginning in early November, Jungle Cruise at both Disneyland park and Magic Kingdom Park will temporarily transform into “Jingle Cruise” for the holiday season!

Jungle Cruise is Going ‘Jingle Cruise’ for the Holidays at Disneyland Park & Magic Kingdom Park

In this new seasonal storyline of the attraction, the Skippers have grown homesick for the holidays, so they’ve added holiday cheer to the Jungle Cruise queue and boathouse with decorations that have been mailed to them from home (plus a few they’ve created themselves). The Skippers have also added a slew of new jokes to their tours that are the perfect way to get guests in the holiday spirit. Additionally, Jungle Cruise boats have been renamed with the holidays in mind, and if guests listen carefully, they may hear a holiday-themed radio broadcast playing in the background.

Jingle Cruise will begin launches in early November at both parks.

Looks like your plans are really firming up! Love AKV! I just spent two nights before my cruise last weekend!

I've stayed at that Holiday Inn in Miami and I thought it was great. It is really close the port and lots of shopping and dining choices right across the street.

I wish I could see the special holiday touches for Jungle Cruise. Anxiously waiting for your report/pictures!

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter